Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Help PLEASE!!!!!!!
karen 11:32 AM 04-13-2012
The situation.....
I have 6 kids here everyday. All boys
Consistent routine everyday same thing never changes!
The kids sleep in the same place everyday on the same cot/crib or pack n play with the same music. I even sit between my two hardest kids for an hour to get them to sleep. If they do fall asleep it's maybe 30 minutes if I am lucky.
4 kids are 2 and a half to 3. These guys sleep on cots in the gross motor everyday same spot,
1 kid is 14 months gets here at 7 he should be exhausted but nope I am lucky if he sleeps for an hour! This little guy sleeps in the crib in the baby room by himself with soft music on. The minute he wakes the scream fest is on!
Last kid 11 months again should be exhausted gets here at 7:30 everyday. He sleeps in pack and play in the gross motor room with the older kids. I have taken a huge lightweigt sheet and draped it over thress of the sides of the pack n play so he can't see anyone so no playing. He only sleeps an hour same thing he wakes up and scream and yells until nap time is officially over.
The babies do not get a morning nap.
I never get these kids up early just because they are awake.... they have to stay on cot/crib/pack n play until nap is over. Should be used to this.
As I type this 3 of my kids are up right now both babies and 1 three year old.
Take them outside on a regular basis.....They have plenty to do outside....bikes basketball digging running climbing the normal.
What gives? I would really like an hour to myself as I am sure most of you understand the importance of an hour of peace and quiet. LOL!
Any suggestions or tips would be so helpful I am willing to try anything at this point.
Thanks a whole bunch!
Lucy 02:18 PM 04-13-2012
You might want to private message her. She hasn't posted anything for a couple weeks now. Hopefully she'll see the PM. Best of luck to you!

Edited to add:
I'm a ding-dong. I thought it said "Nan, help please". Just ignore me. I have Daycare-itis. Oops.
Heidi 03:07 PM 04-13-2012
I have a few ideas. First of all, I am a HUGE fan of sleep sacks. If you are not familiar, they look them up online. Basically a sleeping bag with arm and neck hole. I use them for all my pnp sleepers so that I am less worried about climbing out and they are cozy and warm.

Is there a way the 11 mo could sleep somewhere else? I hate that I have cribs in my own bdr, but it's worth the sanity! He should by all rights be taking 2 naps per day (and so should the 14 mo, usually).

I would lay BOTH the younger kids down at 9 for a 45 min nap, earlier if there is any eye-rubbing before that. You can't make them sleep, but you can put them in their cribs. A sweet cuddle and a kiss, then night night. Put them in and walk away.

I am not a fan of all the music, etc, although some sort of noise barrier might keep you sane until they get the hang of it. Maybe play the soothing music in the room YOU are in...lol.

After 45 minutes, give some sort of outward signal that nap is over. A loud song, make up a chant, whatever. Go in and get them up. Maybe even make up a chant and have a "it's time to get up" parade with the older kids. Just do it the same every day for a while...both naps. If they wake up before the chant and cry, don't get them. They can wait for you, crying or not. You can't control that part. If they ARE crying, talk soothingly, but say "I will get you out when you stop crying".

I would do afternoon nap the same way for the toddlers, at 1:00 ish. They should by all rights sleep 2+ hours!

For the older ones, I would allow them each to pick one book (or maybe a quiet toy if they're not book kids). If they are quiet, they get to keep the book. If they get up, they LOOSE THE PRIVILEGE of the book. Also, sleeping with your friends at the super slumber party we have every day is a privilege. If you get up, then you get moved away from the group. There rest time could be 1-3, sleep or no sleep. Chances are with a book and a little boredom, they'' be asleep pretty fast. Again, can the music, but dim the lights.

In 2O+ years I have rubbed very few backs-maybe for a minute or 5 while a child was transitioning to daycare, or once when I had a child that was really, truly neglected. I have good, happy sleepers here, but they haven't always started out that way. But, sleeping is not a punishment...they are so LUCKY they get to take a nice, cuddly nap in the afternoon. I think a lot of kids get the message that it is some sort of horrible thing we do TO them....

Good luck!
cheerfuldom 03:10 PM 04-13-2012
I would put both of the youngest kids down for a nap as soon as they get there. Wake them up by 9 and put them back down again around noon (or whenever your regular nap time is). They NEED more than one hour per day sleep.
MNMum 03:24 PM 04-13-2012
Agree with PP. Those babies need to be put down for a early nap. Lay them down within 2 hours of their wake up time in the morning. Probably around 8:30. They should be up by 9:30 or so. By 1:00, they should be ready for another nap. The afternoon nap should be closer to 2 hours. Sleep begets sleep, an overtired baby is not going to sleep well. Changing things up may take a few weeks to transition.

Some people transition their toddlers around 15 months to one nap. If this is done, they will usually sleep 2.5-3 hours at a pop. With your 14 mo old I think I would try the early nap, though, he's probably too overtired to last until 1pm.

I was having a horrible time with my group a few months ago. Someone suggested going in once, saying to the toddler, "Everyone is still sleeping, it is nap time, I will come get you when nap time is over." While saying this, I lay her back down and cover her back up. She is screaming while I do this, but then she will go back to sleep! It was a life saver here! She was about 17 months old at the time, and sleeping 45 minutes. Now she naps at least 2 hours everyday.
Heidi 03:36 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
Agree with PP. Those babies need to be put down for a early nap. Lay them down within 2 hours of their wake up time in the morning. Probably around 8:30. They should be up by 9:30 or so. By 1:00, they should be ready for another nap. The afternoon nap should be closer to 2 hours. Sleep begets sleep, an overtired baby is not going to sleep well. Changing things up may take a few weeks to transition.

Some people transition their toddlers around 15 months to one nap. If this is done, they will usually sleep 2.5-3 hours at a pop. With your 14 mo old I think I would try the early nap, though, he's probably too overtired to last until 1pm.

I was having a horrible time with my group a few months ago. Someone suggested going in once, saying to the toddler, "Everyone is still sleeping, it is nap time, I will come get you when nap time is over." While saying this, I lay her back down and cover her back up. She is screaming while I do this, but then she will go back to sleep! It was a life saver here! She was about 17 months old at the time, and sleeping 45 minutes. Now she naps at least 2 hours everyday.

That was me! I am so glad it worked for you!
karen 10:17 AM 04-16-2012
Thanks for the suggestions!
Today babies went down for morning nap directly after breakfast. 8:30. They had to stay in bed for 45 minutes. 14 month screamed 11 month old fell asleep at least for 20 minutes. I had an extra infant car seat and put 11 month in that to sleep. He is sleeping now as well. So far no scream fest but it is Monday.
I should have mentioned but 11 month old does not nap at home. The parents are too busy to put him down so whatever sleep he gets it's during car rides on the weekends.
As for rubbing backs or sitting next to my kids that is such a habbit for me...That's like telling me to not put a shoe on. When I first started in daycare gazillions of years ago.... That was a requirement.....My boss said that we needed to remember that these children were without their mommies all day and we needed to be sensitive to their needs. So it has stuck with me. Plus every daycare that I have worked at that's just what we did.
It helps because two of my kids one being a wigglealotapus well let's just say if I don't sit next to him let the gymnastics begin.
Another child of mine is a sneakyalotapus if I don't sit next to him he will slither his way off his cot and make noises so the other kids wake up.
Again thanks so much for your suggestions!
Tags:nap routine, napping
Reply Up