Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink Eye
cara041083 07:19 AM 03-09-2015
On Feb 4th (wed), I had a DCB wake up at home with what looked like pink eye. His mom called and said he was going to the doc and she would keep me posted. It turned out to be Pink Eye. She kept him home the rest of the week. Fast forward to today, I had a DCK show up today with very bad pink eye. I stopped mom at the door and said "that is pink eye, he needs to go to the doc and I need a doctors note for him to return". DCB perks up and said " I had pink eye" (hes 4) She then got upset at me for not telling her about it. I explained to her that DCB had it over a month ago, and that he was never here while he was experiencing symptoms of pink eye. He was completely fine the day before and that he had woke up at home with it. She ended up storming out. Now my question is, should I have told everyone? I didn't even think about it since he wasn't here around anyone one. That Wed, I spent the day washing bedding and cleaning everything. No one else has came down with it. Now I feel awful and wonder if I should have notified everyone.
spinnymarie 07:45 AM 03-09-2015
I send home a note for things like pink eye, contagious things other than cold or flu. That way everyone knows what to look for and to treat asap.
However, I *just* looked it up and pink eye can only live for two weeks outside of an eye, so it can't have been passed from the other child.
And it does seem a little unreasonable for DCM to stomp out about it.
e.j. 06:27 PM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
On Feb 4th (wed), I had a DCB wake up at home with what looked like pink eye. His mom called and said he was going to the doc and she would keep me posted. It turned out to be Pink Eye. She kept him home the rest of the week. Fast forward to today, I had a DCK show up today with very bad pink eye. I stopped mom at the door and said "that is pink eye, he needs to go to the doc and I need a doctors note for him to return". DCB perks up and said " I had pink eye" (hes 4) She then got upset at me for not telling her about it. I explained to her that DCB had it over a month ago, and that he was never here while he was experiencing symptoms of pink eye. He was completely fine the day before and that he had woke up at home with it. She ended up storming out. Now my question is, should I have told everyone? I didn't even think about it since he wasn't here around anyone one. That Wed, I spent the day washing bedding and cleaning everything. No one else has came down with it. Now I feel awful and wonder if I should have notified everyone.
Given the timing, I'm not sure I would have said anything either. She was probably upset that you turned her away when she was on her way to work but that's not your problem. Her child has pink eye. Regardless of where he got it, she shouldn't have tried to drop him off at day care.
cara041083 06:40 PM 03-09-2015
I can see where she would be upset that I didn't tell her that the other DCB had pink eye.I would have told the parents about it had he been here and developed it through the day and exposed everyone. I guess I just felt that since he stayed home and didn't return until it was gone, It was fine. I guess what upset me, was she brought her son last week while she was sick so she could go home and rest. Ok, no big deal. Well as the week went on, one by one the kids all started coughing and coming down with the same cold including her son, even myself. So when she got upset this morning, all I could think of was how she brought this cold to my house but now she is upset about something that wasn't even her concern.
MarinaVanessa 06:43 PM 03-09-2015
Honestly I'm more worried about sharing medical info that is private with upset DCM. I wouldn't have said anything to her other than

"Although I can't talk to you about specifics when it comes to other children when it has to do about medical issues I can tell you with absolute confidence that at no time in the previous [however long it has been since a child has had pink eye in your daycare] has any child been present in daycare and had pinkeye. I am only required to notify parents if there is a possibility of exposure and since there was none I did not notify anyone"

DCM: But he said he had pinkeye!! (refering to 4yo DCB)

"Again, I can't comment on specifics due to medical privacy laws. I can say that a child enrolled in my daycare did previously have pinkeye however that child was never present at daycare while the child had it and it was so long ago that there is no way that this child could have given it to your child. In fact none of the other children in my daycare had pink eye immediately before or after that child's pink eye episode. Do you have any other questions?"

Be VERY careful about sharing information about other children to anyone. In this case the DCB told her himself so you are okay but I recommend not sharing any information and identifying a specific child even though it is obvious as to who it is. Providers I know have had fist fights in their yards and shouting matches in their living rooms because of an upset parent that was told who's child bit or exposed the children to an illness. The last thing is to open yourself up to a liability issue!
daycare 07:00 PM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I send home a note for things like pink eye, contagious things other than cold or flu. That way everyone knows what to look for and to treat asap.
However, I *just* looked it up and pink eye can only live for two weeks outside of an eye, so it can't have been passed from the other child.
And it does seem a little unreasonable for DCM to stomp out about it.
ditto on this..

I just send an email or post a notice.

This letter is to inform you that your child may have been exposed to the virus pink eye. Here are the symptoms xyz. Should your child develop any of these symptoms they will need to be excluded from care. If at any time you are doubtful if your child is able to attend care or not, please call me so that we can deiced if your dck is well enough to attend.

as always, any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
daycare 07:01 PM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Honestly I'm more worried about sharing medical info that is private with upset DCM. I wouldn't have said anything to her other than

"Although I can't talk to you about specifics when it comes to other children when it has to do about medical issues I can tell you with absolute confidence that at no time in the previous [however long it has been since a child has had pink eye in your daycare] has any child been present in daycare and had pinkeye. I am only required to notify parents if there is a possibility of exposure and since there was none I did not notify anyone"

"Again, I can't comment on specifics due to medical privacy laws. I can say that a child enrolled in my daycare did previously have pinkeye however that child was never present at daycare while the child had it and it was so long ago that there is no way that this child could have given it to your child. In fact none of the other children in my daycare had pink eye immediately before or after that child's pink eye episode. Do you have any other questions?"

Be VERY careful about sharing information about other children to anyone. In this case the DCB told her himself so you are okay but I recommend not sharing any information and identifying a specific child even though it is obvious as to who it is. Providers I know have had fist fights in their yards and shouting matches in their living rooms because of an upset parent that was told who's child bit or exposed the children to an illness. The last thing is to open yourself up to a liability issue!
this!!! so very true and excellent way to word it. You are not at liberty to discuss any other children in care than theirs.

Also good point that because the child was not in your care, it was not necessary to inform anyone.
cara041083 10:00 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

Thank you!!! Very good points.
Reply Up