Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Ideas For Older Kids
AAK 07:31 PM 03-22-2015
I watch 5-12 year olds only. When school is in session, the time I have them goes by pretty quickly. Days that they are out of school though, are a lot harder. They get bored so quickly and pout, complain and pick at each other. Even with planned activities someone is usually complaining. Need fresh ideas.
Thriftylady 07:38 PM 03-22-2015
I see you are in California. I know there are water restrictions but maybe plant a garden? You could do a small one or even just one with plants that don't require a ton of water. Scavenger hunts outdoors with nature items to find or outdoor clues. Cooking lessons! Have them help cook meals and snacks once or twice a week, my two school agers LOVE to cook! Some kind of an art project like crochet or knitting.
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 03-23-2015
Go on Pinterest and search for art journaling, there are some great ideas the creative ones might like using different media.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:04 AM 03-23-2015
I second cooking; my SAers love to cook.

Mine also love sewing; there are some great kids' sewing books out now. Some of our favorites are Sewing School and Sewing for Children.

Indoors, my SAers favorite thing to do is to go to town in our studio with free access to lots of art supplies and recycled "junk." Good markers, gel pens, blank books, and junk with glue guns are their favorite supplies.

Outdoors, they love playing in the woods or in our mud kitchen.
Thriftylady 04:37 PM 03-23-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I second cooking; my SAers love to cook.

Mine also love sewing; there are some great kids' sewing books out now. Some of our favorites are Sewing School and Sewing for Children.

Indoors, my SAers favorite thing to do is to go to town in our studio with free access to lots of art supplies and recycled "junk." Good markers, gel pens, blank books, and junk with glue guns are their favorite supplies.

Outdoors, they love playing in the woods or in our mud kitchen.
Glue guns don't cause burns? I always seem to burn myself lol.
Reply Up