Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Excluding for E. Coli
LittleScholars 05:29 AM 07-06-2017
I have a kiddo that has been having serious stomach issues with no other symptoms. The doctor thought it was a dairy intolerance and perhaps a gluten issue. It turns out the poor kiddo has e. coli and she probably has had it for awhile. She drank some very gross standing pond water while camping, and that seems to be the source.

I keep things super clean and I am crazy about hygiene, so I'm not too concerned about it spreading at this point (I've also been closed for the last 5 days). I'm not sure when to allow her back and I can't seem to find a clear answer. I've read two negative tests are required, but I wasn't sure if that was overkill. Does anyone have any guidance to offer?
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 07-06-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
I have a kiddo that has been having serious stomach issues with no other symptoms. The doctor thought it was a dairy intolerance and perhaps a gluten issue. It turns out the poor kiddo has e. coli and she probably has had it for awhile. She drank some very gross standing pond water while camping, and that seems to be the source.

I keep things super clean and I am crazy about hygiene, so I'm not too concerned about it spreading at this point (I've also been closed for the last 5 days). I'm not sure when to allow her back and I can't seem to find a clear answer. I've read two negative tests are required, but I wasn't sure if that was overkill. Does anyone have any guidance to offer?
You are correct, two negative tests (I think 24 hours apart) are required and sometimes the exclusionary period can last several weeks!

Child care providers in my state are required to report this to the department of health as it can spread easily, be severe and in some cases deadly

http://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henne...fact.pdf?la=en
KiwiKids 06:00 AM 07-06-2017
I would lean towards two negative tests if that's the recommendation because it can be so dangerous for the under 2 crowd.
LittleScholars 08:26 AM 07-06-2017
Thank you both! I called licensing and the health department. They are reaching out to the doctor to find out more, and requiring the doctor clear her.
Reply Up