Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A ? For Those Of You Who Don't Take PTO
Josiegirl 03:47 AM 07-08-2017
But you add that into the weekly rates....
how does that work if say, dcfs don't stay a year or.....? And do you let them know in the beginning how you figure that out or do you just tell them 'these are my rates and I don't charge when I'm closed, etc.' It's so much easier just to say "I charge per enrollment, not attendance"
I guess I'm looking at pros/cons to this idea.
Thanks!!
Snowmom 08:06 AM 07-08-2017
It's worked into my rates and I don't mention it.

I say that holidays are paid at regular rate and I post the dates on my website and any personal or vacation days I take off are unpaid.
Then the next question is usually: "do I have to pay for my vacation days?"
I reply: "yes, you don't pay for mine and I don't pay for yours."
CityGarden 08:31 AM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thanks!!
The pros I see are from a parent perspective:

Cons from both perspectives:

mommyneedsadayoff 09:20 AM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
But you add that into the weekly rates....
how does that work if say, dcfs don't stay a year or.....? And do you let them know in the beginning how you figure that out or do you just tell them 'these are my rates and I don't charge when I'm closed, etc.' It's so much easier just to say "I charge per enrollment, not attendance"
Thanks!!
I just tell them that if I close, they dont pay, but if they miss, due to illness or vacation, they still pay. I use to give vacation days, but stopped bc it was too hard to keep track and they were not using them anyway. I do get paid for major holidays, but my rates are higher to reflect the unpaid time i take off each year, which is about 3-4 weeks each year. If they dont stay long, the next family comes in at the same rate, so there is not too much break in income. I encourage them to use vacation time when i am off, but many take it later. My area has many daycares that charge for the spot, and many who charge for attendence, so its really just whatever works best for you and your program. I like making more each week, so it has worked well for me so far.

Just to be clear, though, they dont pay only when i am closed. If they choose not to come, they still pay, as that would be too much income to lose if its at the parent's discretion.
Unregistered 12:14 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I reply: "yes, you don't pay for mine and I don't pay for yours."
Love this line! Soooo going to use it.
Ariana 06:58 PM 07-08-2017
I don't charge for my vacations because it works better for me and I feel less guilty about it. I give myself 4 weeks of vacay so this softens that amount of time for the parents. My husband gets 5 weeks so I want to take as much time off as possible with him. I simply tell them that there is no charge for MY vacation time. I do give myself 5 days paid sick and 5 days paid personal days.
Cat Herder 07:16 AM 07-09-2017
I know what I have to earn each month to meet my obligations, put a little away and have a bit of spending money. I break that number down over 48 weeks (minus 4 weeks) and that is my set tuition rate. (It used to use 50, but now I see potential for a built in annual "bonus" when needed.)

*I typically take two weeks per year "unpaid" and offer another two weeks "unpaid" with notice per year. Nobody has taken their two weeks in over 4 years, now. For their kids, for my bank account. It used to bother me, but I can't care more than they do. The option sat there, waiting. It equaled 2 weeks tuition, per family, per year, in savings for me.

I will not be taking my two weeks this year (empty nest) and will be making double pay for staying open. My choice, as my husband and I are saving up for a sunroom/hot tub/pool/deck remodel. It equals one month tuition, per family, in savings, in one year while barely raising rates last year.

All federal holidays are paid so we still get plenty of 3-4 day weekends to enjoy ourselves, you know in addition to every night and weekend. Kid free marriage is fun , who knew.
Tags:pto
Reply Up