Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Exclusion Policy Re: Fevers
Ariana 03:04 PM 07-11-2017
How long does a child need to stay home if they HAD a fever?

I have been having instances where kids have had fevers at night but not in the morning and I don't have an exclusion period for fevers. They can come as long as they are fever free. Today my whole daycare got exposed to impetigo. Completely my fault as mom said a rash was eczema (her brother has bad eczema as well which is why I accepted the explanation) and she had a fever the night before. mom kept saying her off mood was from teething. ugh. Stupid me did not put two and two together until after nap the rash got infinitely worse. This could have been prevented with a fever exclusion period.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 07-11-2017
Must be fever free for a FULL 24 hours WITHOUT the use of OTC or fever reducing meds before returning to care.

Rashes MUST have a Dr's written diagnosis.

I do not take a parent's word for what something is or isn't.

I also exclude for teething.
Leigh 04:12 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Must be fever free for a FULL 24 hours WITHOUT the use of OTC or fever reducing meds before returning to care.

CalCare 09:21 PM 07-11-2017
Honestly, I haven't seen a fever with impetigo.. is that normal?
renodeb 09:45 PM 07-11-2017
Mine states that if a child gets a fever (100 degrees) they can not come to dc the next day, if there fever free then it would be the day after that without fever reducers. Rashes need a dr. note but I have final say. I also have in my contract that I can exclude anytime a child can't participate in the normal routine.
Deb
flying_babyb 11:39 PM 07-11-2017
Im hoping to convince my boss to LOWER our fever number. Currently we exclude for 102 for 24 hrs. Today, one of our kids exposed the whole center to hand foot and mouth!!
Mummy101 06:26 AM 07-12-2017
I recently had an instance where two of my kiddos were out sick on a Monday because they “had a fever”, neither DCP said when. Until I said the children may return Wednesday of course, then it became an issue. My inclination is to believe that if they are out, they are sick and I have no way to verify whether they have a fever or not if they are out Monday. So, I will assume the fever is on a Monday and if it lasts until 3pm, the child may return Tuesday at 3pm which means Wednesday Morning!

To add some detail, it was not just fever, it was throwing up AND diarrhea. I gave in because of the Parent push back. DCPs (I assume) lied and said symptoms were on Saturday/Sunday to circumvent policy. I ended up getting SOO sick and closing on Wednesday anyway.

I changed my policy to; if they are out on a Monday for sickness, they may return Wednesday. Is this too strict? Also, I am aware that this may just cause fibbing…
Ariana 09:07 AM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This mom is usually really good about keeping her sick kids home and has missed a TON of care because of illness (why are her kids soooo sick all the time?!.....undiagnosed food sensitivities is my guess). She has a DR note for the eczema for both kids but the girl has never had it as bad as the brother so I assumed it was a flare up or something! I think the only way I could have prevented this is by excluding for fever. Should totally exclude for teething too!!

I think I am going to invent a daycare quarantine box for kids
Tags:fever - policy
Reply Up