Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Male Potty Training Question (Graphic)
Pestle 12:41 PM 07-17-2017
So I've got a temporary kid who's been here for a week and will be here for another week. He's 2.5, starting to become verbal. His mother said he used to be potty trained but has regressed recently. I sit him on the potty regularly. He'll dribble a single drop of urine, announce "I pee pee," and freak out if I try to get him to stay on the potty longer.

Thing is--every time I take off his diaper, he has an erection. Males CAN'T urinate with an erection, correct? Or at least, it's very painful and difficult?

I don't know if it happens as we get to the potty and undress, or if this is some constant medical issue. But I've never seen him WITHOUT one. I don't see how we could possibly make progress with potty training while that's going on.

Anybody else have this problem?

Do they outgrow it?

Any solutions?

In other news, I have a toddler who's started urinating on the potty regularly, but today he decided he wanted to grab himself and haul until he had the same problem the other kid has. When I took his hand away, he sobbed for 10 minutes. I was like,

Let it go! Let it goooooo! Can't hold onto that any more!
Let it go! Let it goooooo! You might pee on my floor!

He was not appreciative.

And I washed his hands for a LONG time.
daycare 12:42 PM 07-17-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
So I've got a temporary kid who's been here for a week and will be here for another week. He's 2.5, starting to become verbal. His mother said he used to be potty trained but has regressed recently. I sit him on the potty regularly. He'll dribble a single drop of urine, announce "I pee pee," and freak out if I try to get him to stay on the potty longer.

Thing is--every time I take off his diaper, he has an erection. Males CAN'T urinate with an erection, correct? Or at least, it's very painful and difficult?

I don't know if it happens as we get to the potty and undress, or if this is some constant medical issue. But I've never seen him WITHOUT one. I don't see how we could possibly make progress with potty training while that's going on.

Anybody else have this problem?

Do they outgrow it?

Any solutions?

In other news, I have a toddler who's started urinating on the potty regularly, but today he decided he wanted to grab himself and haul until he had the same problem the other kid has. When I took his hand away, he sobbed for 10 minutes. I was like,

Let it go! Let it goooooo! Can't hold onto that any more!
Let it go! Let it goooooo! You might pee on my floor!

He was not appreciative.

And I washed his hands for a LONG time.
I dont have any advise, but I love your song...lol I might steal it...thats super cute and funny
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 07-17-2017
Honestly, I "think" every toddler boy I've changed has had an erection when I remove their diaper so I am not sure if it's common or not. I also think you are correct about not being able to urinate while erect but I suppose that could depend on why. I have NO idea...I am simply guessing here...

However, if I were you I would not ask DCB to sit on potty any longer than he feels he needs to. If he feels he has fully pee'd even if only a few drops I'd let him be. I guess as long as he is pee'ing....even if he literally goes to the bathroom every twenty minutes. Can he dress/undress on his own or will using the bathroom every 20 minutes require your assistance?
Ariana 02:04 PM 07-17-2017
I am pretty sure they can pee with an erection but obviously aim is way off! You may have to tell him to point his penis down as this is what we had to do in the centre where I worked.

I currently have 3 boys and none have had an erection during diaper changes.
Pestle 05:10 PM 07-17-2017
Yeah, I'm not forcing him to stay on there. I just wish he would stay long enough to relax. He's drinking and urinating in his diaper fine.
DaveA 04:18 AM 07-18-2017
It's not uncommon. It's more of an aiming issue than anything else. There's an off chance it's the sign of a bladder problem, but that's really unlikely at that age. He'll probably outgrow it fairly quickly.

Honestly if he's a temp care child I wouldn't worry about it.
hwichlaz 05:35 AM 07-19-2017
According to my son, men can pee just fine with "morning wood" but it's harder to aim because they have to force it down. And sometimes, having to pee really really bad will cause a kind of erection itself.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:20 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
According to my son, men can pee just fine with "morning wood" but it's harder to aim because they have to force it down. And sometimes, having to pee really really bad will cause a kind of erection itself.
This, exactly. I tell my first-time DCMs of boys that frequent erections are a sign that it's (past) time to potty train. They have successfully learned to hold their bladder, which is far and away the hardest part of potty-training.

If it were me with your DCK, I wouldn't bother anything with it since he is so temporary. It could just be instability in his life that has caused this regression. It seems like he has issues that you are not going to be able to work through in a week.
Pestle 11:51 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
If it were me with your DCK, I wouldn't bother anything with it since he is so temporary. It could just be instability in his life that has caused this regression. It seems like he has issues that you are not going to be able to work through in a week.
Yep. This was just supposed to be for a day, as a favor to the mom's employer. Now we're on week three, the mom won't pay more than one day at a time and I can't get her to pay in advance, and the kid keeps showing up, starving, in a soaked diaper and yesterday's clothing. He passed out in a dining chair yesterday and I spent 5 minutes explaining the concept of "sleep" to the mom (his bedtime is apparently 10pm); all the while, a baby literally crawled all over the kid on his napping mat and he didn't even stir, he was so tired.

When I told my DH about the lack of sleep, wet diapers, old clothing, and lack of breakfast, he asked if that was something that falls under mandatory reporting. I said, "Not on its own. It's on the cusp of negligence, but honestly DD sometimes wears her clothes overnight. It's annoying that the mom is pushing the morning routine onto me because she can't get it together enough to care for her child at home."

I have no toddlers/preschoolers right now so it's not like I gave up an available space, but the next time she texts to see if I'm available, I am not going to be.
Michael 11:59 AM 07-19-2017
Correct. The flow wants to go up but you have to force it to go down toward the toilet. It may be uncomfortable for him to try to urinate downward.
Michael 12:01 PM 07-19-2017
Correct. The flow wants to go upward but you have to force it to go down toward the toilet. It may be uncomfortable for him to try to urinate downward and may possibly impede the flow.
Tags:potty training regression
Reply Up