Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Ages
Unregistered 05:03 PM 07-19-2017
I'm opening a home daycare in late August. To give you a little background of my experience...I have taught 1st and 2nd grade for 15 years. I've been a nanny and I've worked in child care centers with babies, toddlers and preschoolers.

My children are 6, 4 and 17 months. My oldest will be in 1st grade and my middle child will ride the bus to and from pre-k 4 afternoons per week. I have 2 children enrolled ages 2.5 and 4 months. I have a family interested who have a just turned 2 year old and 3 year old. Am I nuts to consider taking on so many young ones? Both families would be FT 5 days per week. What are your thoughts?
Leigh 06:36 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm opening a home daycare in late August. To give you a little background of my experience...I have taught 1st and 2nd grade for 15 years. I've been a nanny and I've worked in child care centers with babies, toddlers and preschoolers.

My children are 6, 4 and 17 months. My oldest will be in 1st grade and my middle child will ride the bus to and from pre-k 4 afternoons per week. I have 2 children enrolled ages 2.5 and 4 months. I have a family interested who have a just turned 2 year old and 3 year old. Am I nuts to consider taking on so many young ones? Both families would be FT 5 days per week. What are your thoughts?
I have up to 14 kids at once (I can have 2 under 1yo, 2 more from 1-2yo, 8 from 2-6, 2 6 &up). I find that my days go faster and MUCH easier when I have more kids here than fewer!
Josiegirl 02:41 AM 07-20-2017
Yep, you'll be busy but that's the way dc goes.
At the moment I have a 10 mo, 18 mo, 4 yo, 5 yo, 6 yo, 8 yo, 9 yo, and 10 yo. When school starts again it'll be 3 mo, 11 mo, 2 3 yo, 4 yo will be in prek ft but here sometimes. I'm meeting with a 4 yo parents soon, and am in the process of wondering if I want to take on anymore.
284878 05:18 AM 07-20-2017
What are your state ratios? Some states allow that many kids but not many.
Unregistered 05:51 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
What are your state ratios? Some states allow that many kids but not many.

I'm allowed 2 under 2 years (so my 1.5 year old and enrolled 4 month) . I can have 4 children ages 2-5 (so my 4 year old, enrolled 2.5 year old and possibly 2 & 3 year old siblings.) I can have up to 4 school age, but would only have my daughter (1st grade).
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 07-20-2017

I currently have a pretty young group but routine and consistency is the key to the least amount of stress.

I think your experiences in the classroom, as a nanny and in center care will definitely help.

The one thing that usually drives a new provider out of business isn't the children or their day to day needs no matter how old they are. It's usually the day to day operation of a business. Managing the business aspect while not allowing your clients to run the show is what I think causes the most closures and is THE hardest part of this job for many providers.

I think those struggles catch many providers off guard.
My advice would be to not forget about that part of this profession. If you do, it WILL sneak up on you.
Unregistered 07:17 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I currently have a pretty young group but routine and consistency is the key to the least amount of stress.

I think your experiences in the classroom, as a nanny and in center care will definitely help.

The one thing that usually drives a new provider out of business isn't the children or their day to day needs no matter how old they are. It's usually the day to day operation of a business. Managing the business aspect while not allowing your clients to run the show is what I think causes the most closures and is THE hardest part of this job for many providers.

I think those struggles catch many providers off guard.
My advice would be to not forget about that part of this profession. If you do, it WILL sneak up on you.
Would you mind sharing your routine/schedule with me?
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 07-20-2017
Would you mind sharing your routine/schedule with me?
Consider registering with the forum.

Once you are a registered user, you have private messaging access.
I can message you my website and you can read all about my daily routine and how I operate.
Reply Up