Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Rantin On FB Over Daycare Costs
Poptarts22 09:23 AM 07-20-2017
I have a dcm who has been with me 12 weeks. She has a b2 and g5 months. 2 different baby daddies-neither in the picture. She pays every two weeks. Hourly based. Today I sent her an invoice for her bill due tomorrow. Three minutes after receipt she posts a Facebook rant about the price of daycare and no wonder why moms stay home with their kids. Give me a break lady! You know my rates. You agreed to them. Boohoo on FB all you want, but if sure you won't get anyone offering to watch your kids 4:30am-3pm 5/days a week for free
Denali 10:41 AM 07-20-2017
"Hey DCM, I saw your post on Facebook. If daycare is to much of a financial burden for you at this time, do we need to consider this your 2-week notice?"
midaycare 10:48 AM 07-20-2017
Just ignore. She's not ranting at you, although it seems like it. Daycare is expensive. I hated paying it when we had to. I complained all the time. Not to my daycare person, or where they could see...

Try to look at it as her complaining about a utility, "the price of cable stinks!" Well...she still has it.
Pestle 10:49 AM 07-20-2017
Facebook is an appropriate venue for personal and shallow rants. I'm not Facebook friends with any of my families and never will be. Calling a client out for a Facebook complaint is in a professionally gray area, I think--it's not like you're her employer.

I would just unfriend her.
e.j. 11:13 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Just ignore. She's not ranting at you, although it seems like it. Daycare is expensive. I hated paying it when we had to. I complained all the time. Not to my daycare person, or where they could see...

Try to look at it as her complaining about a utility, "the price of cable stinks!" Well...she still has it.
This is how I look at it, too. The truth is, it is expensive - especially when you have more than one child. Any time my dc parents say something about the cost, I agree and empathize with them because I remember how I felt when I was paying for day care - and the cost has only gone up since then.
happymom 11:27 AM 07-20-2017
Just unfollow her. Daycare IS expensive. Kids are expensive. My daycare costs are about 1.4x my mortgage, and I won't lie, I DO complain about it.

I celebrate when my kids are no longer considered "infants" and my rates go down. I make sure that my friends who don't have kids yet are aware of the cost of daycare and have plans to make their finances work.

It doesn't mean that I don't appreciate or value daycare. It doesn't mean I feel like any of the staff or the provider was ever over paid, but, it can be difficult to budget. It's no different than a stay at home mom venting about how hard it is to live on one income.
daycare 11:36 AM 07-20-2017
I don't do FB for myself, but have one for the daycare. one rule, I don't ever look at parents profiles and I don't read anything they post.

I clearly stick to business.

you can look at it like this. If I went to target and bought soap and then went home and jumped on social media to complain about the cost of it, no one from target is going to console me or reach out to me to address this concern. It will just be there showing that I am having a bad day becuase I am choosing to use social media to vent about tiny little things that really don't matter at all. it says more about me than it really does about target or anything else.
Ariana 03:20 PM 07-20-2017
This is why I do not friend any clients on FB! I am sure they all complain about how much daycare is. Some of them have even complained to my face and I always say "I know, kids are expensive, tell me about it...ridiculous". The fact is, its true! I used to let it bother me, even went so far as to reduce rates for one of my first clients who was going through a divorce. Guess what? She never got rid of her personal trainer or her expensive gym. She also moved into a house that cost the same as the one I was living in. Guess she got the last laugh!

Let them vent, brush it off and keep collecting your paycheck
Josiegirl 02:20 AM 07-21-2017
It IS expensive. But while dcps are driving all kinds of new fancy cars, getting manis/pedis, eating out all the time, they really are probably complaining about the fact that life is expensive. BUT life is also filled with choices. Let it go in one ear and out the other.
Second Home 06:32 AM 07-21-2017
I don't take it personally but sometimes it is hard not to .

There have been times when I have told a friend ( not a dcp) about all the costs with running a daycare ,the regulations , all the hours put in , taxes that need to be taken out of our pay and stress of the job . Some really never thought of it that way just that we take in all this $$ per kid .
MyAngels 07:32 AM 07-21-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't do FB for myself, but have one for the daycare. one rule, I don't ever look at parents profiles and I don't read anything they post.

I clearly stick to business.

you can look at it like this. If I went to target and bought soap and then went home and jumped on social media to complain about the cost of it, no one from target is going to console me or reach out to me to address this concern. It will just be there showing that I am having a bad day becuase I am choosing to use social media to vent about tiny little things that really don't matter at all. it says more about me than it really does about target or anything else.

Unless they were saying something negative about me personally or my care, it wouldn't bother me at all. As others said, daycare is expensive. It was expensive 30 years ago when I paid for it, and I'm sure it will continue to be expensive for years to come
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 07-21-2017
I always sympathize with parents and point out that it costs about the same for child care from infancy to kindergarten as it does for four years of college, but there's more financial aid for college.
Mom2Two 02:04 PM 07-21-2017
Maybe make a new policy: No longer will you be fb friends with any business clients. I do that (after a bad experience with the first and not too great experience with the second). Waaaaay less drama that way. Ugh
Reply Up