Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Failed ASQ Communications Again
daycare 10:57 AM 04-13-2017
I have a child that has been with me for over a year. He was my very last of the part time under two crowd. He started at 18months 3 days a week MWF and was cared for by grandmother on other days. Grandmother speaks a different language. Child transitioned to full time back in November.

child will be 3 tomorrow

the child is still barley talking and says one word here and there, mostly just repeat what we say and again only one word. AND it's really hard to understand what is being said.

I am required to conduct ASQs every 3 months. So far the child has scored VERY VERY low and has not passed this section so to speak..

I talked to the parent about it back in December and told DCM that I was concerned, because we should be using more words. Child is my only one that still takes things or hits, not often, but it happens. We should be seeing less of this, with the expectation of vocabulary increase. However, DCM said she is not concerned at all. Also, DCM said he does not talk much at home either.

So I conducted the ASQ Monday and again scored super low, almost lowest you can possibly score.

My question is, taking into consideration that the child is exposed to other languages, (which he CAN NOT speak) how much longer would you wait to require the family to seek an evaluation?

My staff and I are feeling at a loss because we struggle with being able to communicate with the child.
CityGarden 11:03 AM 04-13-2017
I found this article on the subject interesting: http://www.multilingualliving.com/20...anguage-delay/

Each child is different but my niece was exposed to three different languages and starting speaking at the same time as my daughter who was only exposed to one.
spedmommy4 11:10 AM 04-13-2017
When children are exposed to more than one language, they may spend a little more time in the listening phase of language. What you are describing is not typical and I would advise a referall to the school district for an assessment.
Cat Herder 02:57 PM 04-13-2017
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...uage_disorders

Another article of use.
daycare 03:07 PM 04-13-2017
sorry...this child is NOT a dual language learner. He is NOT learning to speak his grandmothers language and the parents only speak english.
Cat Herder 03:21 PM 04-13-2017
Ok.

I don't require them to get an evaluation. I can suggest it, offer to have it done in my home and send home reams of paper resources. That is it.

Unless I suspect neglect and report for help, it isn't my decision to make. It is the parents. Once they are in public school it will be addressed since the mandatory age for education is 6.

You can term if their refusal is making it too hard on your program, though. THAT may be the push they need to do it.
daycare 05:59 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Ok.

I don't require them to get an evaluation. I can suggest it, offer to have it done in my home and send home reams of paper resources. That is it.

Unless I suspect neglect and report for help, it isn't my decision to make. It is the parents. Once they are in public school it will be addressed since the mandatory age for education is 6.

You can term if their refusal is making it too hard on your program, though. THAT may be the push they need to do it.
I totally get what you are saying, but I really think the issue we are having is that we don't know how to communicate with him because we can't communicate. I firmly believe it's not just not talking, but is also not understanding what he is being told.

It's to the point that he can't survive in our program like this much longer. He has no playmates, he can't follow any instructions and can't communicate with any of us teachers, no one has a connection with him. It breaks my heart because he is a sweet sweet boy.
CityGarden 10:28 PM 04-13-2017
I am confused how is he not a dual language learner?

I know text does not allow for tone so I want to specify I am not asking this from a snarky place? Is the grandma no longer in his life? Does she not see him often?
laundrymom 03:32 AM 04-14-2017
It is not my job to do anything other than ask parent to refer to MD for eval.
That's the path I would take.
Provide copies of your assessments along w your observation sheets and a list of concerns on school letterhead.
Provide the numbers to local programs that would benefit them
And encourage mom to contact them.

If behavior becomes a problem mention lack of communication as a possible cause and encourage professional opinion.
daycare 05:52 AM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I am confused how is he not a dual language learner?

I know text does not allow for tone so I want to specify I am not asking this from a snarky place? Is the grandma no longer in his life? Does she not see him often?
Parents only speak English to the child and grandma only visits. Grandma is the only one who speaks a second language and the parents are not having the child learn to speak it.
I thought that being with is grandma when we was part time was the whole reason, bit since going full time back before the holidays, I haven't seen an ounce of improvement in his communication.
CityGarden 09:21 AM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
Parents only speak English to the child and grandma only visits. Grandma is the only one who speaks a second language and the parents are not having the child learn to speak it.
I thought that being with is grandma when we was part time was the whole reason, bit since going full time back before the holidays, I haven't seen an ounce of improvement in his communication.
Thanks for the clarity, when he did the two days with Grandma did she speak English to him? Could it still have had an impact....

I will say I have a two year old in an English only family and his language is very limited compared to the others in my care and it impacts his behavior. I started teaching him signs always while also saying the words - I have seen improvements in his behavior but it is also clear he does not want to speak..... because his parents and past provider respond to grunts he seems okay with it.

I also encouraged the parents to show the child Singing Time videos - which are fun and cute. https://www.signingtime.com Our local library carriers them and since this family allows TV I felt it was more worth while than some other options.
daycare 09:39 AM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Thanks for the clarity, when he did the two days with Grandma did she speak English to him? Could it still have had an impact....

I will say I have a two year old in an English only family and his language is very limited compared to the others in my care and it impacts his behavior. I started teaching him signs always while also saying the words - I have seen improvements in his behavior but it is also clear he does not want to speak..... because his parents and past provider respond to grunts he seems okay with it.

I also encouraged the parents to show the child Singing Time videos - which are fun and cute. https://www.signingtime.com Our local library carriers them and since this family allows TV I felt it was more worth while than some other options.
same here. I hear the child groan, whine grunt and the parents will respond to it as if it is just the way he talks. The child just turned 3. Do you think signing would be the thing to introduce at this age?

I have never met grandma and don't know if she speaks english or not. BUT I do think it had an impact on him.

I am ESL, but I learned to speak English as a child. I didn't become fluent until I was in my late teens. So I do understand how hard it is for someone who speaks another language.

I will check out the video, thanks so much for your help on this. I feel so STUCK...

I can't do anything if the parents are willing to do anything and I just feel helpless at this point to both the child and my staff.
Lovatic24 04:05 PM 04-14-2017
I also agree with sign language. It would also be something to teach to the group so the others could eventually communicate with him too. Signing time is super fun and there are DVDs available.
Mom2Two 04:15 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I totally get what you are saying, but I really think the issue we are having is that we don't know how to communicate with him because we can't communicate. I firmly believe it's not just not talking, but is also not understanding what he is being told.

It's to the point that he can't survive in our program like this much longer. He has no playmates, he can't follow any instructions and can't communicate with any of us teachers, no one has a connection with him. It breaks my heart because he is a sweet sweet boy.
Wow, so receptive language is a problem too? That's pretty serious. DD tests 4th %ile for expressive language and on her last assessment 2nd %ile for intelligibility...but her receptive language (understanding) has always been 30%ile or greater (more like 50th aka average now).

This child definitely needs a complete evaluation by an SLT and/or very competent ENT. It could be a hearing problem...does he seem to hear ok?

And please don't just do sign language. If receptive language is a problem too, that's more serious--the child might have a cognitive disability. But even expressive...her oral motor should be evaluated etc.

I have a little girl who just started who has trouble with expressive. She's new and has never been in care before and is still adjusting, so I'm holding off, but soon I'll do my own informal eval and prepare to talk to parents.
momofsix 06:08 PM 04-14-2017
Like pp I was also wondering about hearing loss? In all my years in daycare I've only had two with severe speech delays. One was due to hearing loss, the other is on the autism spectrum.
I have had quite a few bilingual kids. They weren't behind in their language at all. Spanish at home and English here-learned them both at the same time. It's cool to watch them switch from English to Spanish when the parents come for pick up.
I'd do as pp said and offer handouts, referrals...and then it's on the parents.
Tags:milestones - speech, speech - milestones, speech issues
Reply Up