Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Required To Give Parents For Taxes?
Lucy 01:40 PM 02-20-2013
Ok, first off, this is NOT about not wanting to give parents a total amount. I can figure it up and give it to her this afternoon. This is about an H&R Block guy telling one of my DC parents what HE thinks I have to give. I think he's wrong, but want to find somewhere online that definitively says what's required.

So... I always give a W-10. I've done that for years. Parents know that their checks are their receipts. This particular family was with me for part of 2011 and it wasn't a problem. They did their own taxes for that year. So cut to Jan. 2013 when I gave them a W-10 for 2012. Then they go to (*cough*stupid*cough) H&R Block and the guy has them call me from his office to ask for an official receipt. I thought maybe she lost it, so I said, I gave it to one of you in January. It's a W-10." She says they have that but the guy says they need a letter stating dates, kids names, my name, address, phone number, state reg #, ss # or tax id #, and total amount. I said I would get her total for her, but the guy is wrong. I don't actually have to give her ANYTHING, but I do a W-10 as a courtesy. If SHE gives ME a W-10 then I'm required to fill it out, so I just do them first.

I'm rambling .... sorry. Basically I want to print something showing that I do not need to provide anything. If the tax guy is telling people they need this detailed letter, then I want to set him straight. Do any of you know a website that would have those requirements listed?

Again, this has nothing to do with not wanting or being willing to provide her with a total amt. What I'm doing is printing up a new W-10 and writing the amt on the top.

Thanks, gals!
itlw8 01:55 PM 02-20-2013
If they ask and supply the form you must fill out the w-10 that has your name address and EIN or SS# that is all you HAVE to do.
Lucy 01:56 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
If they ask and supply the form you must fill out the w-10 that has your name address and EIN or SS# that is all you HAVE to do.
Right. I'm wanting something official to print out and have the mom give her uninformed tax guy.
itlw8 01:56 PM 02-20-2013
I am sure if you put this on the tax forum Tom would give you the correct IRS code pretty sure he answered this recently also
Blackcat31 02:16 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Ok, first off, this is NOT about not wanting to give parents a total amount. I can figure it up and give it to her this afternoon. This is about an H&R Block guy telling one of my DC parents what HE thinks I have to give. I think he's wrong, but want to find somewhere online that definitively says what's required.

So... I always give a W-10. I've done that for years. Parents know that their checks are their receipts. This particular family was with me for part of 2011 and it wasn't a problem. They did their own taxes for that year. So cut to Jan. 2013 when I gave them a W-10 for 2012. Then they go to (*cough*stupid*cough) H&R Block and the guy has them call me from his office to ask for an official receipt. I thought maybe she lost it, so I said, I gave it to one of you in January. It's a W-10." She says they have that but the guy says they need a letter stating dates, kids names, my name, address, phone number, state reg #, ss # or tax id #, and total amount. I said I would get her total for her, but the guy is wrong. I don't actually have to give her ANYTHING, but I do a W-10 as a courtesy. If SHE gives ME a W-10 then I'm required to fill it out, so I just do them first.

I'm rambling .... sorry. Basically I want to print something showing that I do not need to provide anything. If the tax guy is telling people they need this detailed letter, then I want to set him straight. Do any of you know a website that would have those requirements listed?

Again, this has nothing to do with not wanting or being willing to provide her with a total amt. What I'm doing is printing up a new W-10 and writing the amt on the top.

Thanks, gals!
Tell him (the tax guy) to show you where it says that.

Like court, the person who is making the claim should bear the burden of proof.
Little Star75 02:31 PM 02-20-2013
If you are part of the food program and have MM you go into invoicing run reports and you will find either a blank W-10 or one with your info. But you must enter all your info into this software. Very simple
Lucy 02:42 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
If you are part of the food program and have MM you go into invoicing run reports and you will find either a blank W-10 or one with your info. But you must enter all your info into this software. Very simple
Thanks. I'm not on the food program. I printed and gave out W-10 's in January. I'm actually not asking advice on how to do this. I need a website or IRS instructions that I can print for a tax preparer to prove he is giving out incorrect information.
Lucy 03:22 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I am sure if you put this on the tax forum Tom would give you the correct IRS code pretty sure he answered this recently also
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a forum for tax questions!! My bookmarks goes directly to this forum and I forget that there's lots more to this site!!

However, I didn't get a response. I scanned the recent discussions and couldn't see where Tom had recently discussed this.
Blackcat31 03:24 PM 02-20-2013
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a forum for tax questions!! My bookmarks goes directly to this forum and I forget that there's lots more to this site!!

However, I didn't get a response. I scanned the recent discussions and couldn't see where Tom had recently discussed this.
I know you wanted something "official" but here is Tom's blog entry about W-10 forms. Maybe that will help.

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html
Lucy 03:26 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know you wanted something "official" but here is Tom's blog entry about W-10 forms. Maybe that will help.

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html
Thanks. I'll check it out now.
Lucy 03:28 PM 02-20-2013
Ok I keep getting moderated. Anyway... thanks Blackcat.
Blackcat31 03:33 PM 02-20-2013
Ok I keep getting moderated. Anyway... thanks Blackcat.
Your post was moderated because you quoted me and I have a link within my post. For some reason, links for and by Tom are moderated when others try to quote or post them.

It is NOTHING on your end. so no worries there

I see Tom has responded in the tax thread for you
Lucy 03:38 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Your post was moderated because you quoted me and I have a link within my post. For some reason, links for and by Tom are moderated when others try to quote or post them.

It is NOTHING on your end. so no worries there

I see Tom has responded in the tax thread for you
He did but I still don't have anything to print and show this tax guy. Thanks for everyone's help though.
DCBlessings27 06:35 PM 02-20-2013
Here, this should work to show the tax guy. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf
The instructions for the form don't say anything about needing some of the additional information he's wanting.
Lucy 06:42 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by DCBlessings27:
Here, this should work to show the tax guy. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf
The instructions for the form don't say anything about needing some of the additional information he's wanting.
Thanks. I've had that for years though. I printed and distributed them in January, as I have every year.

I posted in the tax forum and will copy and print some of Tom Copeland's response, as well as some things from the following website:
http://www.familychildcaretaxes.com/...cordNumber=102
Reply Up