Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newborn, Returning To Work And Sick DCK's
Baby Beluga 08:22 AM 04-11-2017
Morning all!

I am set to reopen daycare next Monday (17th) after being closed for 3 weeks for maternity leave. I received a text message from a DCM this morning saying her two children are getting over a virus that lasted about a week and included low grade fevers (so happy she is sending me this text now!) She wanted to know if I wanted to postpone her children's start dates since they are getting over an illness.

My initial reaction is yes. I thought about having them start one week later (24th vs 17th) just to make sure the virus is gone. In the past these two pass things back and forth to one another (siblings, it makes sense). This plus Easter being this weekend I have a feeling they will relapse a little bit come early next week.

Is a week too long to postpone their start date? I would hate for them to come and me need to send them home. And of course I don't want my newborn getting sick. Tuition would be waived for postponing their start date.

What do you think is fair, a few days or one week?
finsup 08:54 AM 04-11-2017
I'm glad they told you! I definitely would postpone...I'd probably say something like "is a week too much? It may be easier for the kids to have a full week then trying to start in the middle of one If that would be too hard though, let's touch base on Tuesday and see how they're doing. If they're better, we could try for Wednesday."
But if you just wanted to go with the full week, I definitely don't think that's unfair to ask!
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 04-11-2017
How many days since the children have actually had a fever or shown signs of illness?
Baby Beluga 09:05 AM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How many days since the children have actually had a fever or shown signs of illness?
She didn't say. Just "the boys are just now getting over a virus that lasted about a week."
Baby Beluga 09:09 AM 04-11-2017
Fin, I also thought about Wednesday as a start date.

I certainly don't want to go overboard. But I also want to avoid an illness. Finding the balance is difficult. Especially because in this situation if LO does get sick I will be closed indefinitely until he is better. Not being able to give parents a date would be difficult for their schedules. Understandably so. With older DD she is able to be quarantined in her room and is content with watching movies sick.

I don't think they went to the doctor as she didn't specify which virus.
LittleScholars 10:23 AM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Morning all!

I am set to reopen daycare next Monday (17th) after being closed for 3 weeks for maternity leave. I received a text message from a DCM this morning saying her two children are getting over a virus that lasted about a week and included low grade fevers (so happy she is sending me this text now!) She wanted to know if I wanted to postpone her children's start dates since they are getting over an illness.

My initial reaction is yes. I thought about having them start one week later (24th vs 17th) just to make sure the virus is gone. In the past these two pass things back and forth to one another (siblings, it makes sense). This plus Easter being this weekend I have a feeling they will relapse a little bit come early next week.

Is a week too long to postpone their start date? I would hate for them to come and me need to send them home. And of course I don't want my newborn getting sick. Tuition would be waived for postponing their start date.

What do you think is fair, a few days or one week?
This exact thing happened when I re-opened late February after maternity leave. I postponed the start date a week and explained that my concern was that if my little one caught something I would have to close longer. Parents already had back up care lined up, and they agreed it was easier and safer for everyone to just extend the care. Since I wasn't charging them for the delayed start, they were happy to wait another week.

My pediatrician urged me to be really cautious until 8 weeks. Previously, I had taken kids with mild cold symptoms, but I informed parents I would be a strictly well-child program until my guy passed that mark. Having a winter baby (or early spring baby) is germy business.

Congratulations!
nannyde 10:38 AM 04-11-2017
Sounds like she may have free daycare for that week. I'm suspicious of a parent admitting a week long illness without specifics and a diagnosis.
Mike 10:59 AM 04-11-2017
Sounds to me like they are being honest about their kids conditions, so what about letting them decide when they feel it's time to return?
Unregistered 11:14 AM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Sounds like she may have free daycare for that week. I'm suspicious of a parent admitting a week long illness without specifics and a diagnosis.
I do NOT take my kids to doctor all the time. In fact, I generally wait things out more often as it is very expensive to get basic health care these days. I wouldn't be opposed to a delayed start as I would make other arrangements as I would have done anyway for the other weeks. It doesn't mean anything weird or suspect.
nannyde 11:57 AM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do NOT take my kids to doctor all the time. In fact, I generally wait things out more often as it is very expensive to get basic health care these days. I wouldn't be opposed to a delayed start as I would make other arrangements as I would have done anyway for the other weeks. It doesn't mean anything weird or suspect.
The parent is admitting an unidentified viral illness of two kids from a week ago to keep them out of daycare ten days from now?

Nah

She's got free care lined up.

I can't recall a parent admitting a viral illness from a Saturday for care on Monday.

If the provider simply said... I'm going to open the 17th but if they are still contagious they can't return. Payment is due as per usual, the parent would bring the kids.
Baby Beluga 12:02 PM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
In this situation I would happily forgo a week's worth of tuition vs taking the chance of something being passed to my newborn.

Just to clarify, mom did not ask to not pay tuition and I would open on the 17th for the remainder of my well children. But I feel if she is honest and let's me know ahead of time and I am the one to make the decision to delay her children's start date then the moral thing to do is to waive her tuition.
Baby Beluga 12:06 PM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
This exact thing happened when I re-opened late February after maternity leave. I postponed the start date a week and explained that my concern was that if my little one caught something I would have to close longer. Parents already had back up care lined up, and they agreed it was easier and safer for everyone to just extend the care. Since I wasn't charging them for the delayed start, they were happy to wait another week.

My pediatrician urged me to be really cautious until 8 weeks. Previously, I had taken kids with mild cold symptoms, but I informed parents I would be a strictly well-child program until my guy passed that mark. Having a winter baby (or early spring baby) is germy business.

Congratulations!
I'm realizing this is the case!

These two were just sick in late Jan/Early Feb with a week long virus as well and it spread like wildfire. Everyone (including myself) got it. It was absolutely awful.
Ariana 01:05 PM 04-11-2017
I would take it especially since it was offered!!
Reply Up