Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policies Regarding Holding Spots for Kids
Unregistered 10:43 AM 09-15-2009
i know it seems a little after the fact to be asking this =) but i recently started my own home day care, and am just curious what other provider's policies are regarding holding spots for kids whose parents are teachers/off for the summer...do you charge a holding fee of some sort, or just cross your fingers you can fill the spot with other kids just for the summer? just curious and trying to plan ahead.

thanks!
AmandasFCC 11:54 AM 09-15-2009
I would say that would depend on how busy you are. If you find your spaces are filling up quick and you're turning away a lot of people, than I'd say definitely charge to hold that space. How much, I'm not sure though. Maybe half the month? I personally don't charge a fee because I've had a hell of a time filling up in my area and I'll take what I can get lol.
Unregistered 12:27 PM 09-15-2009
See if you can round up some school age children for the summer time. But, you can also let it be up to them. Let them know you will hold a spot for them for a fee or THEY can cross their fingers and hope there is a spot open when school starts up again. Make sure they understand you can't afford the dramatic cut in your income and have to do what is best for your family and your business. They may want you to be there for them in the fall, but that shouldn't mean that you have to get a second job because you're holding slots (for free) for folks.
mac60 12:54 PM 09-15-2009
I currently don't have this situation, but this is how 2 dif people I know do it.

One friend charges $25 per week and they can bring their child 1 day per week of providers choice.....she choose Tuesdays or Thursdays.

Another person charges 1/2 rate, and the child can come 2 days per week.

Because we only have so many spots, it is hard to hold a spot without a fee. Even if we charge a small or 1/2 holding fee, we are still losing income on that spot.

Unless you are afraid of losing the family, I would definately charge a holding fee.
tymaboy 01:19 PM 09-15-2009
When a parent signs up that wants care that does not start for 2 or more weeks I charge $75 a month holding fee. Yes its cheap but its mainly so I know the parents are serious & wont flea at the last minute. For my teachers that do not work during the summer I charge a $50 holding fee per month. That way if I do not fill the spots during the summer months I am making a little & if I do fill the spot then they are paying me to secure their spot when school starts back up.
michelle33 06:30 PM 01-21-2010
I have a daycare in my home. I have someone who is interested in daycare and wants to know how much to hold a spot for may. But that's 4 months away.
Unregistered 09:22 PM 01-22-2010
I charge a holding fee for kids that are gone for the summer vacation months equal to that of two weeks of care as a deposit. This deposit is in addition to the one that I charge at the beginning of care also equal to two weeks of care (this deposit however is used in case termination of care is necessary and a balance is due) but I don't require the summer month's deposit until the child is ready to go on summer vacation. When and if the child comes back to care, the deposit is used to pay the next two weeks of care.
Unregistered 07:48 AM 05-18-2012
I have no problem paying a summer holding fee, but is it legal to take 500 dollars to hold a spot and not apply it to tuition? We are recieving no services for the money....doesn;t seem legal. I would say they keep it if we don;t return, but apply it to care when we do.
bluemoose_mom 09:21 AM 05-18-2012
But you are paying for services...you're paying to keep that slot empty until the summer is over and you're child is ready to attend. Otherwise, your provider could fill that spot and you don't have some where to put your child in care.

I haven't needed to do this yet, but I would not be putting a holding fee towards tuition when the child starts attending. That fee is to provide me the income I'm losing by holding a spot for a child.

Completely legal.
Meeko 09:36 AM 05-18-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have no problem paying a summer holding fee, but is it legal to take 500 dollars to hold a spot and not apply it to tuition? We are recieving no services for the money....doesn;t seem legal. I would say they keep it if we don;t return, but apply it to care when we do.

Put yourself in a similar situation and see how fair you think it is.

Your Boss: "I don't need you over the summer, but I want you back in the fall, so don't go getting another job. I want you available the second I need you. I'll pay you a small portion of what you regularly earn to hold you over."

Even though it's a financial hardship, and you have to turn down several other good job offers, you agree because you like your job and your boss and want to help him out.

Fall rolls around....:

Your Boss: I need you full time now. Oh....and as I paid you to "do nothing" over the summer, I'm taking that money off your upcoming pay"

REALLY??????????????? Doesn't sound like such a great deal now does it?

And yet people do this to their provider......the person taking responsibility of their most prized possession...their children......over and over again.

You may not need her right now. But why should she subsidize you? Why should she give up HER income to put more in YOUR pocket?

She doesn't owe you. You owe her.
Creek 09:56 AM 05-18-2012
I guess everyone does this differently.

I provide a service that is available starting on a certain day, not 4 weeks from that day, nor 4 months from that day. If a family decides they want a spot, they are certainly available to pay to hold the spot. I also charge full price for holding a spot. A spot is a spot. I can get someone else to fill the spot right now so why would I take a 1/2 price cut or not fill the spot, know what I mean?

I've had a few families do this, from 5 weeks to 4 1/2 month. Paying for a space they were not physically using but was being held for them. In that time, they are free to utilize any time they want in care, but most of the time it is because the families are still on maternity leave, or extended mat leave and want to secure a space.
Unregistered 07:40 AM 06-08-2012
Paying to "hold" a spot is ridiculous. If you don't pay the reduced "hold" rate and they fill your spot then i guess you are out. BUT what business would take half or less when they could get the whole amount? NONE. This is because there is no risk, your spot is there and will be. Its called paying for nothing and with the correct phrasing it will easily be termed illegal. Discuss with your provider and keep looking for a new one. Businesses can write off losses for reasons just like this, can't handle a business loss? Get out of the business.
Unregistered 02:21 PM 08-30-2012
There is nothing illegal or unfair about a holding fee in my opinion. The day care can either promise you a spot or give it away. If you really like the day care and really want to bring your child back then you should have to pay something for holding the spot. Why should the day care lose money on your child when they could just as easily bring in a full paying family? Unless the owner of the day care has their business "for fun", which I highly doubt, they will certainly have a fee. You are sadly mistaken if you think the day care owes you anything.
Reply Up