Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Business Software
Tom T 09:17 AM 01-27-2017
Hi, I am new here and was hoping to draw off of all your experiences.

We own a childcare business and the building - about 50 children. My wife runs the business, I have zero input in the day to day but would like to change that in an effort to take some of the stress off her plate. I tried in the beginning, but it became quickly apparent that we were not that couple that could work together all day and still live in the same house.

Is there any software that is recommended to help in the running of the business? I understand some of the dedicated daycare options out there are not exactly user friendly and/or customizable or have the best support. Is Quickbooks the way to go, or do you all have some recommendations?

Admittedly, I am at the beginning of this process but if there is overwhelming agreement to stay away from x, that would be appreciated.

Off the top of my head, needs are:
Payroll (accountant does it now)
quarterly taxes (accountant)
Bill paying (old school checkbook now)
Customer billing
General expense accounting, etc.

Thank you....(another) Tom
MarinaVanessa 10:16 AM 01-27-2017
A lot of us are home daycare providers and most of use use Minute Menu Kids Pro. It will soon be replaced by an updated version called KidKare but as of right now KidKare has a lot of bugs that they are working on.

This program I think covers everything that you are looking for except for bill paying and payroll. MMK creates reports that you can use to file taxes but doesn't file them/fill tax forms for you.
Tom T 10:29 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
A lot of us are home daycare providers and most of use use Minute Menu Kids Pro. It will soon be replaced by an updated version called KidKare but as of right now KidKare has a lot of bugs that they are working on.

This program I think covers everything that you are looking for except for bill paying and payroll. MMK creates reports that you can use to file taxes but doesn't file them/fill tax forms for you.
Thanks Marina, much appreciated. I'll look into it.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:02 PM 01-27-2017
I have used KidKeeper since I opened 13 years ago. It has most of what you are asking for, but only limited payroll capabilities. I have always wondered what else was out there but never took the time to research. I would love to know what you settle on.
TomCopeland 04:03 PM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by Tom T:

We own a childcare business and the building - about 50 children. My wife runs the business, I have zero input in the day to day but would like to change that in an effort to take some of the stress off her plate. I tried in the beginning, but it became quickly apparent that we were not that couple that could work together all day and still live in the same house.

Is there any software that is recommended to help in the running of the business? I understand some of the dedicated daycare options out there are not exactly user friendly and/or customizable or have the best support. Is Quickbooks the way to go, or do you all have some recommendations?

Admittedly, I am at the beginning of this process but if there is overwhelming agreement to stay away from x, that would be appreciated.

Customer billing

I would not recommend using Minute Menu/KidKare because it doesn't cover payroll. It's also primarily set up for family child care, not a large center such as yours. Here's a place to compare. I'm not familiar with any of them: http://www.softwareadvice.com/child-...OTUaAkGI8P8HAQ
Tom T 05:23 AM 01-29-2017
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I would not recommend using Minute Menu/KidKare because it doesn't cover payroll. It's also primarily set up for family child care, not a large center such as yours. Here's a place to compare. I'm not familiar with any of them: http://www.softwareadvice.com/child-...OTUaAkGI8P8HAQ
Thanks Tom. I'm pretty sure I purchased a copy of one of the older ones many years ago, that was dismissed out of hand at the time.

I will do some research and make a decision which one to give it a go with.
daycare 12:42 PM 01-29-2017
Originally Posted by Tom T:

Customer billing

If I were in you shoes I would use the sandbox software.
Tom T 05:25 AM 02-01-2017
Thanks again.

I'll check back when we make a decision and go with a trial run.

I appreciate the feedback.
Tags:holy spam batman, minute menu kids pro, sandbox daycare software
Reply Up