Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's Your Process If You Have Multiple Clients Wanting A Spot?
trix23 05:43 PM 05-26-2017
Since I'm still a fairly new provider, I'm finding it hard to determine what to do in the case of numerous clients wanting a spot if only 1 is available.

At the tour, what do you say in regards to this? Do you have them pay any fees that day? What do you say about notifying and how much time do you take to do it, etc?
hwichlaz 05:53 PM 05-26-2017
I'm interviewing several families for a single opening. Please submit your application by xdate so that I have to to review it before making my decision. I'll let you know on ydate if I'm offering your family the opening.
trix23 07:31 PM 05-26-2017
Do you require payment to secure their spot? If so, do they write a check and you only cash it when they are accepted or...?
childcaremom 12:57 AM 05-27-2017
I always interview multiple families for 1 spot. I tell them, or they know already, that I have x amount of space and when it's available.

I meet with everyone. Get a feel for everyone and find out who would be the best fit for my program. I am always interested in: hours needed (I do contracted), age of child, family nearby or a solid back up plan, home routine, expectations of care.

I tell everyone to go home and think it over and to let me know if they have any questions.

Then I think it over and I choose who I think would be the best fit. Email them the next day (I always give myself a min. of 24 hours to reflect) and offer them the spot. Tell them they have 48 hours (or whatever) to confirm acceptance if they wish to proceed (so non-refundable holding fee and all paperwork completed).

If other families get back with interest, I will tell them that I will let them know within 48 hours of my decision (that gives me time to hear back from my 'first choice').
LysesKids 01:24 AM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Since I'm still a fairly new provider, I'm finding it hard to determine what to do in the case of numerous clients wanting a spot if only 1 is available.

At the tour, what do you say in regards to this? Do you have them pay any fees that day? What do you say about notifying and how much time do you take to do it, etc?
I give them 24 hrs to decide after the interview to put down deposit & sign contract/Intent form otherwise I keep looking to fill the spot (I only do in person interviews Tues, Wed & Thur); that said, I tell prospectives @ the interview if I want them to sign...

I have all policies & fees on my website & I do an intensive phone interview prior to offering a meet & greet; 95% of the ones offered an in person tour sign & pay that day. A few years ago I had 6 people want one position and it literally came down to 5 minutes between 2 moms trying to get me the fee ( I get a month upfront). Never saw a mom break down before over losing a position because of timing... yep it came that close. I don't wait for people - if you are a fit I let it be known or you take a chance losing the spot; it just happened again last week & the loser never even acknowledged my calls. she waited 72 hrs to let me know she wanted the position & I signed someone @ the 48 hr mark
sahm1225 01:36 PM 05-27-2017
Do you require payment to secure their spot? If so, do they write a check and you only cash it when they are accepted or...?
I only ask for payment when I offer the spot. Then I give them a window to give the payment by (say 48 hours), then I tell any other families that I will let them know in 3-4 days of my decision. That way, of the first person backs out, i haven't said no to the other ones yet.
trix23 10:44 AM 05-28-2017
All very smart ideas. I am going to do my process a bit differently using this advice. :]
trix23 11:01 AM 05-28-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I don't wait for people - if you are a fit I let it be known or you take a chance losing the spot
What do you mean by "fit"?
LysesKids 03:04 PM 05-28-2017
What do you mean by "fit"?
All my policies, rates etc etc are online on my website... even my interview procedure. Potentials send me the contact form off the site with their info, hours needed & phone #. I then call them within 24 hrs of receiving the form & we have a 30-60 minute phone interview. The meet & greet is the 2nd interview & by that time I usually know if that family will work well with the ones I have. 95% of families sign within 24 hrs of the meet & greet if not right there on the spot.

My last interview thru me off because even though she loved the website, policies etc, and we had a great phone interview - well lets just say she got there & wanted to start last week even though the spot isn't open until June, changed how many days child would attend, hours needed.... all the red flags came out after the phone interview, so I didn't offer the spot. She called 3 days later asking for it & I said sorry, not a good fit.

BTW, I do need to fill the position ASAP, however not with someone that wants to control how I run
trix23 05:39 PM 05-29-2017
So in your experience why does the fact that somebody change their hours or days needed mean a red flag? Because usually their work schedule is such that they should have consistent hours and days or? I'm not really sure
LysesKids 06:00 PM 05-29-2017
So in your experience why does the fact that somebody change their hours or days needed mean a red flag? Because usually their work schedule is such that they should have consistent hours and days or? I'm not really sure
No... I was told one thing during the phone interview... starting date, hours etc but when they showed up in person all of a sudden they wanted to start almost immediately (knowing the spot wasn't open until June), then she changed hrs of drop-off/pick up (new pick up time was 3 hrs later than anyone else is even here) & went from wanting FT to 1-3 days a week; I don't offer PT because I can only take 4 babies. I offer FT or Daily drop-in, Drop-in is not guaranteed & is $$ higher rate. All in all it didn't seem like a good fit - I've been doing this 17+ years & I don't work over 12 hrs day regardless of what times you need care. If it doesn't fit with the families I already have 10-12 hrs day, then I won't offer a contract. I'm heading towards 60, and working 12 hr days is more than some of the younger ladies here even offer. I need ME time also - I never work weekends
trix23 06:06 AM 05-30-2017
Definitely. I don't work weekends either
renodeb 02:32 PM 05-30-2017
I don't always have more than one family wanting a single spot but if I do I tell them that Im meeting with another family and thAT will let them know.
AmyKidsCo 03:49 PM 05-30-2017
Assuming I don't have a preference of one family over another, I let them know that I'm interviewing other families and that the first family to submit the paperwork and enrollment fees gets the spot.
Tags:clients, multiple, spots
Reply Up