Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Teach an Older Infant Not to Yell for You
jenboo 10:39 AM 08-24-2016
How do I teach an older infant not to yell for me once they wake up from nap?
Dcb doesn't cry when he wakes up, he just yells and yells "aaaahhhhhh" until I come get him. I try to wait to until he is quiet before going in, but sometimes that takes a while.
Play Care 10:42 AM 08-24-2016
I do as you do and wait.
jenboo 02:10 PM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I do as you do and wait.
Boo. Ok. Some days it can take 45 min for dcb to finally stop long enough for me to open the door and go in
Scout 03:14 PM 08-24-2016
I would also wait as long as it wasn't disturbing other kid's rest. I had one recently that would SCREAM bloody murder if he was unable to see me while awake. By this, I mean he would be eating in his high chair and I would go walk into the other room for a second. It, honestly, did me in and I am now only looking to enroll kids 15 mos and up. That is a good age for my group and I can usually ween them off of morning nap around that age and we can go out.
jenboo 03:46 PM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
I would also wait as long as it wasn't disturbing other kid's rest. I had one recently that would SCREAM bloody murder if he was unable to see me while awake. By this, I mean he would be eating in his high chair and I would go walk into the other room for a second. It, honestly, did me in and I am now only looking to enroll kids 15 mos and up. That is a good age for my group and I can usually ween them off of morning nap around that age and we can go out.
Thankfully dcb is the last to wake up but it does push back our routine by at least 30 min on a good day.
I only take kids 0-2. Everyone else stopped after a week or two. This deck is going on a couple months.
Chickadee-Tree 08:31 PM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
I have a 20-month-old dcg who just started doing this! She never used to, she's been with me for about 6 months now, and this behaviour just started less than 2 weeks ago. But thankfully, she doesn't do it consistently, it's all up and down through the day. It gets worse when she's hungry or tired, or if another parent comes in...she'll scream at me with pure terror in her eyes and try to climb up my body (or climb out of her booster seat)-- she just wants me to hold her. Her mom says she behaves really strangely sometimes when she's teething... I don't know, I just hope it passes soon!
MunchkinWrangler 09:33 PM 08-24-2016
It could take a while, especially since at home the first peep is rewarded with getting out.

I would not get the child until it is silent. Then I would go in and get them and verbalize that they need to wait. The child will catch on and will eventually trust that you are not gone.
childcaremom 03:21 AM 08-25-2016
I had similar issues and Heidi had some great advice for me. Maybe some of it will work for you?

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82934
Scout 06:33 AM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by Chickadee-Tree:
I have a 20-month-old dcg who just started doing this! She never used to, she's been with me for about 6 months now, and this behaviour just started less than 2 weeks ago. But thankfully, she doesn't do it consistently, it's all up and down through the day. It gets worse when she's hungry or tired, or if another parent comes in...she'll scream at me with pure terror in her eyes and try to climb up my body (or climb out of her booster seat)-- she just wants me to hold her. Her mom says she behaves really strangely sometimes when she's teething... I don't know, I just hope it passes soon!
Ugh, me too. I've never heard a child scream like my dck did. I felt so bad for my dad and my in laws because they would come watch them for 10 min while I took ds to pre school. It was awful! DCK screamed the whole time and then started when I left the room! I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Tags:routine
Reply Up