Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can You Run 2 Daycares Out of One Home?
munchkinsmom 11:00 AM 09-18-2007
I live in Kansas and was wondering if you could run 2 daycares out of the same home. The home is owned and used for daycare only. Thanks
Unregistered 05:00 PM 09-18-2007
Sounds like you are interested in a family type daycare and not a Center. Are you speaking of two separate owners within the same home? I think you need two licenses even if it is in the same structure and there are two owners. Here are some of the Kansas requirements.

(1) Any person desiring to conduct a day care home or group day care home shall apply for a license on forms provided by the Kansas department of health and environment.

(2) The applicable fee shall be submitted at the time of license application and replication, and shall not be refundable.

(b) Each licensee or primary care provider:

(1) Shall be at least 18 years of age;
(2) shall not be involved in child care or a combination of child care and other employment for more than 18 hours in a 24-hour period; and
(3) shall not be engaged in either business or social activities which interfere with the proper care or supervision of children.
(c) Each licensee who operates more than one child care facility shall maintain each facility as a separate entity.
(d) Each licensee shall not be licensed concurrently for or provide more than one type of child care or child and adult care in the same premises.
(e) (1) The maximum number of children for which a day care home may be licensed shall be as follows:

(2) Children 11 years of age to 16 years of age, unrelated to the provider, shall be included in the license capacity if child care for this age group as a whole exceeds three hours a week.

(3) Children under 11 years of age who are related to the provider shall be included in the maximum number of children in each age group.
(f)

(1) The maximum number of children for which a group day care home may be licensed shall be as follows:
munchkinsmom 03:06 AM 09-19-2007
I guess I just dont understand the child care laws in Kansas I dont understand why the amount of children you can care for does not increase when 2 people will be providing care at the same center. Logically, you would think that if one person can take care of 10 children, then 2 people should at least be able to take care of more than 10!!
munchkinsmom 03:14 AM 09-19-2007
Are you speaking of two separate owners within the same home? I think you need two licenses even if it is in the same structure and there are two owners.

Yes, If you have 2 licensed people in one daycare does the amount of children you can care for increase? I know that the amount of children that you care for is based on per license not per person. But IF you both have a license does this mean you can have more children, or would it be considered 2 daycares and if so can both daycares exist in the same house. I hope you are now as confused as me. LOL I guess what it comes down to is that me and my partner are trying to figure out which form of daycare to provide so that we can get a large group of children. We already know that we can not have a "child care center" because neither of us are qualified to be the program director.
Unregistered 08:27 AM 09-19-2007
Think of it as two businesses in an office building. There can be two LLCs or INCs. The license does not cover the structure it covers each separate business and two licenses would be needed.

Now if you have two rooms of children within the same business then the ratios are rquired in each room and the licensee is required to abide by the Family Daycare standards. At some point you may be crossing from Family into a Center type daycare and should check your state's requirements.
April 03:47 PM 02-21-2008
In our state, 2 providers in one home are considered a part of the same daycare. This makes sense since the children will share the space, interact, and so forth. Once you get over the number of children allowed in a family childcare home, you may be allowed to operate with a second provider as a family childcare center. You would get into stricter restrictions including the number of square feet in the home per child.

Our ratios are 1:6, with a max of 6 children per home. One provider can have up to 2 infants. With a second provider you can have up to 3 of those 6 children be under 2 years of age. A second provider during the summer allows for up to 12 children to be present as long as 6 of them have attended first grade.
MsMichelle 12:46 AM 03-03-2008
I would contact your state's daycare licensing agency as your situation is unique and I think only they will be able to answer your questions.

Meaning most likely it won't be state in your state daycare regualtions which you can find on line.

However, I do know that most states do not allow you to have a home daycare, unless you reside in it. Otherwise it would be considered a daycare center, and probably can't do that unless it is zoned commerical where the house is.

What state is this in?
Angelina 11:10 PM 08-11-2008
Are you speaking of two separate owners within the same home? I think you need two licenses even if it is in the same structure and there are two owners. Here are some of the Kansas requirements.

Angelina
Unregistered 09:41 AM 08-15-2008
Is it mandatory that a Daycare have a exterminator visit once a month such as a resturant?
Tags:group home, multiple daycare
Reply Up