Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Joint Custody Out of State-HELP!
Lilbutterflie 05:41 AM 07-12-2010
Hi,
I am still in my first year as a daycare provider, so I need some input on how to handle this situation. I have three siblings from a combined family that I take care of, but two of them have a father out of state. The mom has a joint custody agreement allowing them to stay with him 6-8 weeks during the year. So I've just been informed that in late Oct to early Dec I will only be keeping one of the children (who has a different dad). Not sure how to handle this one!

On her side of it, she doesn't want to pay full price for them when I am not providing care for 6-8 weeks! On my side, that would be a huge cut in my salary, and we always say "You are paying for the spot, not necessarily just the care". I do not want to charge her full price, I just don't think it's right. One year ago, I was one of those working moms, & I know where she is coming from! What would you do in this situation?
jen 05:43 AM 07-12-2010
Personally, I would charge her the full rate. However, if you are willing and wanting to do so, you could charge her the full rate for the child in care, plus 1/2 rate for those who aren't there as a holding fee.

Good luck!

Remember: Don't let them make THIER problems YOUR problems!
momma2girls 06:04 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Personally, I would charge her the full rate. However, if you are willing and wanting to do so, you could charge her the full rate for the child in care, plus 1/2 rate for those who aren't there as a holding fee.

Good luck!

THis is a good idea, whenever I have given favors in the past- it has bitten me in the butt, several times over. I give a break, then they want more and more.... I am done giving breaks!!!!
MsKara 07:33 AM 07-12-2010
Honestly, I wouldn't hold the spot for the other two children unless I was financially able to do so and REALLY wanted them back. If I DID hold it, I'd make her pay at least half price during the children's absence.
professionalmom 10:45 AM 07-12-2010

Good luck!

Exactly what I would do - word for word!! That way you are giving her a break, without getting taken advantage of.
MarinaVanessa 11:03 AM 07-12-2010

Good luck!

Yup, I also would not give a break. My families would already get a week of vacation time free and a second week at half rate and so I would have her use those to cover 2 weeks. But if you want to, I think that anything lower than half rate would be too much. If this is in your contract with her then she should have thought of this before signing up. Maybe she can work something out with the kids dad and he can help with half of that, then she'd only be paying 1/4 rate.
Lilbutterflie 12:27 PM 07-12-2010
Thanks everyone. Though my contract states that they pay whether they are in care or not, I think I will charge half price for the two kids while they are gone to hold their spot. I don't want to lose them, the mom is great and always pays on time; the kids are well behaved, and my kids love them! Thanks for the input!
MarinaVanessa 12:48 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Thanks everyone. Though my contract states that they pay whether they are in care or not, I think I will charge half price for the two kids while they are gone to hold their spot. I don't want to lose them, the mom is great and always pays on time; the kids are well behaved, and my kids love them! Thanks for the input!
Yeah I get what you are saying. If they are a good client and you don't absolutely need the income giving them this "break" can keep her from trying to go elsewhere. Make sure that you tell her "Well, the contract says .... but in this case of the kids going to see their dad as per your custody agreement I have decided to ...." So that she is aware that you don't normally do this and doesn't expect this all of the time. Make sure also that you make it clear whether she will be using her vacation time or not during this time also. You don't want to have to get to a point where she wants to take her own personal vacation and expects a week free in that case also or something.
Tags:contract, joint custody
Reply Up