Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question Regarding Sick Daycare Child...
Unregistered 03:49 PM 01-18-2011
One of my children in my daycare was diagnosed with RSV last week and was re-tested today and is expected to be out until sometime next week at the soonest. My contract reads, "Payment is expected for each day regardless of illness or should you decide to keep your child home with you on a certain day". Today the father phoned me with the update and was wondering if they could have a partial credit for the past two weeks since she is out. I told him that unfortunately I couldn't do that, because her payment in daycare reserves her full time position in my daycare regardless if she is here or not. (Btw, this family pays one month in advance every month, so they are pain until February)

Just wondering if you would’ve done the same thing or if you would have cut them a break?
DCMomOf3 03:53 PM 01-18-2011
I would have done the same, as un-fair as it seems to the parents.

The only other thing I would have considered doing, IF I felt terrible, is offer for them to use some of their vacation days for this week or next.
Unregistered 03:58 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I would have done the same, as un-fair as it seems to the parents.

The only other thing I would have considered doing, IF I felt terrible, is offer for them to use some of their vacation days for this week or next.
I thought about doing that, but the mom is a teacher and she will take her daughter out of my care for the summer (with a deposit the month of Sept) and I kind of feel like I've cut them enough breaks. KWIM?
nannyde 04:22 PM 01-18-2011
If you had to close your child care for two weeks due to your child being ill would they feel comfortable paying you half fees to help you guys out? If the answer is no then the answer is no in reverse.

It was VERY rude of him to ask this of you. To put you in this position to even have to respond is so inappropriate IF you have a contract saying the fees are to be paid regardless of attendance. Just keep in mind that he should not have asked this of you or even brought it up.
lvt77 04:36 PM 01-18-2011
I am a softy.... I would have sympathized with the family and their loss of income and all the stress they are going through. I would try to put the shoe on the other foot and would give them vacation time to use. If they did not have any vacation time left then it would be their loss.
Sometimes we don’t know the families situations on the inside and perhaps with all of the time off of work and medical cost out of their pocket, this little amount of help would be putting dinner on the table for them.
I say go with your gut… but this is just me
Lilbutterflie 05:31 PM 01-18-2011
I do have a policy in my contract about extended leave (ex: unforeseen illness, maternity leave, etc...) If the extended leave is due to illness (and therefore no notice given), they have to pay the first two weeks in full and then after that the pay is half off the weekly rate to hold the spot (up to a total of 12 wk absence). If they return in the middle of the week and were in my care no more than two days for that week, that week would be half off. Any more than three days and it would be full rate.

So if these were my clients, last week and this week would have to be paid in full, but if she was also out for 3 or more days next week, they would just pay half.

I agree that this was rude to ask of you. I do understand the hardships parents face with regards to sick children, but to ask someone to decrease their salary through no fault of their own is very rude. Not to mention this is in your contract, and it's a pet peeve of mine for clients to challenge a daycare provider's contract. GRRRR!

BTW... what's with all of the RSV cases lately? I know of three children diagnosed in just the last week! Now doing research on it, I guess it's super common. But a doctor has never tested me or any of my children for it, even though the symptoms present just like that of a cold. Now it seems the docs are running the tests and they are all coming back positive!
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:57 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I do have a policy in my contract about extended leave (ex: unforeseen illness, maternity leave, etc...) If the extended leave is due to illness (and therefore no notice given), they have to pay the first two weeks in full and then after that the pay is half off the weekly rate to hold the spot (up to a total of 12 wk absence). If they return in the middle of the week and were in my care no more than two days for that week, that week would be half off. Any more than three days and it would be full rate.

So if these were my clients, last week and this week would have to be paid in full, but if she was also out for 3 or more days next week, they would just pay half.

I agree that this was rude to ask of you. I do understand the hardships parents face with regards to sick children, but to ask someone to decrease their salary through no fault of their own is very rude. Not to mention this is in your contract, and it's a pet peeve of mine for clients to challenge a daycare provider's contract. GRRRR!

BTW... what's with all of the RSV cases lately? I know of three children diagnosed in just the last week! Now doing research on it, I guess it's super common. But a doctor has never tested me or any of my children for it, even though the symptoms present just like that of a cold. Now it seems the docs are running the tests and they are all coming back positive!
Not trying to hijack, but this is a good policy! Apparently you've dealt with this before or something. I wouldn't have even thought to add that to my policy! If you don't mind my using it on our new policy, how do you have it worded so there's no confusion? We have an extended leave policy, but hadn't even thought about those unexpected extended leaves where a parent can't give any notice. Also, how would you word it, letting a parent know that a 2 week Christmas break will not count as an extended leave and that they still owe the full amount?.
Unregistered 06:06 PM 01-18-2011

I'd love to see how you have it worded as well and I may revise my contract and give him a call later this week.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Unregistered 06:19 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I am a softy.... I would have sympathized with the family and their loss of income and all the stress they are going through. I would try to put the shoe on the other foot and would give them vacation time to use. If they did not have any vacation time left then it would be their loss.
Sometimes we don’t know the families situations on the inside and perhaps with all of the time off of work and medical cost out of their pocket, this little amount of help would be putting dinner on the table for them.
I say go with your gut… but this is just me
I'm a softy too, but I have rearranged my hours and open a half an hour early for them at no extra charge and there are many other things I have done because the mom CHALLENGES my contract all the time. I just feel at some point I have to put my foot down and protect my contact and not allow them to walk all over me. I feel bad though! If I can get my contract worded right I'll probably change my contract and allow an extended leave of absence for unforeseen illnesses.
Lilbutterflie 05:28 AM 01-19-2011
Here's the portion of my contract for my extended illness policy:

Extended Leave:
Extended leave is any time a child is not in daycare for more than two consecutive weeks for any reason (maternity leave, a parent or child’s serious illness, teachers who have the summer off, out of state custody agreements, etc…). I do not offer an unpaid extended leave for families because my business and my income are based on my enrollment at all times. I do offer to keep the spot open for you using the following guidelines:

I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at half your weekly rate. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks for 2 days a week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

If the extended leave is unplanned (ex: a serious illness), full payment is expected for the first 2 consecutive weeks off.

Full payment for the first 2 consecutive weeks off of the extended leave is not expected if it is a planned leave of absence & I have received at least one month’s notice. If If the beginning or end of the leave occurs during the middle of the week (resulting in the child in daycare for three or more days for the week), payment is expected at regular rate for that week. Extended leave payments are still due every other Monday AM & follows the normal payment policy.

I had to add something b/c 2 of my 3 dck's have a dad that lives out of state, and they are with him for 6-8 weeks out of the year (this year, it was a straight 6 weeks).
I don't mind anyone using it at all, that's what this forum is for! As for teachers that want two weeks with no pay in the winter, it wouldn't hold up with this policy b/c ANY leave has to be longer than 2 weeks to get the 1/2 rate.
dEHmom 06:16 AM 01-19-2011
I agree with the comments about this being rude of him to even ask.
But I think it comes down you and how you feel about it. If you are going to struggle to make ends meet by cutting them a break, then you don't have to do it.
Me personally, i like the idea of maybe half rate for the 2 weeks.

Here's where I'm at on this subject....
USUALLY men are too proud to admit they are struggling financially. If the father asked, maybe he's desperate? Only you could judge this because you know him.

Since they are always paid in advance and usually a month ahead, maybe you could offer them the 1/2 rate for next month, but if hes desperate for money now, that wouldn't be much help unless he has a payment coming to you right away.

Another option, if you are able to without having to adjust your spending/bills, is maybe offer him 2 weeks with no charge, or refund back if that's how it is, BUT tell them, in the summer they will be required to pay for 2 weeks instead. By then they should be back on their feet no?
Cat Herder 06:20 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If you had to close your child care for two weeks due to your child being ill would they feel comfortable paying you half fees to help you guys out? If the answer is no then the answer is no in reverse.

It was VERY rude of him to ask this of you. To put you in this position to even have to respond is so inappropriate IF you have a contract saying the fees are to be paid regardless of attendance. Just keep in mind that he should not have asked this of you or even brought it up.

I agree 100%
lvt77 12:24 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a softy too, but I have rearranged my hours and open a half an hour early for them at no extra charge and there are many other things I have done because the mom CHALLENGES my contract all the time. I just feel at some point I have to put my foot down and protect my contact and not allow them to walk all over me. I feel bad though! If I can get my contract worded right I'll probably change my contract and allow an extended leave of absence for unforeseen illnesses.
I can see why you would need to put your foot down.. I guess I would not want to help them either if they were not flexible with me in the past.
This is a business and you also have your financial obligations to meet on a monthly basis.

I always look at my families as referrals, so I am quick to give in.... my weakness
littlemonkeys 01:35 PM 01-19-2011
Here's the portion of my contract for my extended illness policy:

Extended Leave:
Extended leave is any time a child is not in daycare for more than two consecutive weeks for any reason (maternity leave, a parent or child’s serious illness, teachers who have the summer off, out of state custody agreements, etc…). I do not offer an unpaid extended leave for families because my business and my income are based on my enrollment at all times. I do offer to keep the spot open for you using the following guidelines:

I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at half your weekly rate. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks for 2 days a week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

If the extended leave is unplanned (ex: a serious illness), full payment is expected for the first 2 consecutive weeks off.

Full payment for the first 2 consecutive weeks off of the extended leave is not expected if it is a planned leave of absence & I have received at least one month’s notice. If If the beginning or end of the leave occurs during the middle of the week (resulting in the child in daycare for three or more days for the week), payment is expected at regular rate for that week. Extended leave payments are still due every other Monday AM & follows the normal payment policy.

I had to add something b/c 2 of my 3 dck's have a dad that lives out of state, and they are with him for 6-8 weeks out of the year (this year, it was a straight 6 weeks).
I don't mind anyone using it at all, that's what this forum is for! As for teachers that want two weeks with no pay in the winter, it wouldn't hold up with this policy b/c ANY leave has to be longer than 2 weeks to get the 1/2 rate.

Thank you so much!! I am the one who originally posted this question. Finally decided to become a member since I am in here enough! I'm going to try to see how I can fit some of this in my contract. Thanks again!!
Tags:rsv, sick policy
Reply Up