Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There A Difference Between Temporal Artery And Oral Temps?
MN Day Mom 07:36 AM 04-12-2011
Is there a difference in what is considered a fever when using a forehead, temporal artery thermometer versus like taking a temperature under the arm or orally? I know that under the arm you add on a degree.... is there any sort of conversion needed for a TA temperature reading??

Thanks!
TBird 07:38 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
Is there a difference in what is considered a fever when using a forehead, temporal artery thermometer versus like taking a temperature under the arm or orally? I know that under the arm you add on a degree.... is there any sort of conversion needed for a TA temperature reading??

Thanks!
I have no idea but good question! Our council suggested that we take a temperature reading at sign-in for a baseline (before the parents leave). I want to pick something FAST as not to hold the parents up....
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:

Thanks!
Does this help? I use this site for lots of info but not sure if it has the answers you are looking for.....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thermometer/HQ01481
dEHmom 07:44 AM 04-12-2011
TAT is approximately 0.4°C (0.8°F) higher than oral temperature.
MN Day Mom 08:04 AM 04-12-2011
So one would subtract 0.8 from the reading. Good to know, thank you. I love how fast these things work!!!
dEHmom 08:06 AM 04-12-2011
based on oral temperatures: Add 0.4°C (0.8°F).

http://exergencorporation.web.office...0with%20TA.pdf

Temperature readings from the armpit are about 0.5ºC lower than mouth temperature.
TBird 08:26 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
TAT is approximately 0.4°C (0.8°F) higher than oral temperature.
Thanks! Also, if I use one of these thermometers for my Daily Health Check do I need to use a new one for each child? I'm not sure how they sell these....
MN Day Mom 08:27 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
based on oral temperatures: Add 0.4°C (0.8°F).

http://exergencorporation.web.office...0with%20TA.pdf

Temperature readings from the armpit are about 0.5ºC lower than mouth temperature.
The TAT reads 0.8 higher than oral..... so wouldn't one subtract 0.8 from the TAT to get the oral reading? ex: TAT shows 101.2 so orally this would convert to 100.4. But yes... one would add 0.8 to an oral to get the TAT. right??? or am I way confused LOL
dEHmom 08:35 AM 04-12-2011
ok so if

you take the temp under armpit, you ADD .8 apprx (4C = 8F)

take the temp orally, you ADD .8F again

so yes you are correct.

I do it in Celsius (smaller numbers hehe). Armpit add .5C I've never done any other readings.

TBIRD- You can buy sleeve or probe covers for thermometers. Otherwise you should probably get one for each child.
MN Day Mom 08:44 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Thanks! Also, if I use one of these thermometers for my Daily Health Check do I need to use a new one for each child? I'm not sure how they sell these....
With the TA thermometer you don't need any covers... its done on the forehead so no body fluids etc and the same one can be used for all the children
Michael 04:14 PM 04-12-2011
Threads on thermometers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=thermometer
ARNurseStudent 05:18 PM 02-23-2013
Actually, Oral temperature and temporal temperature should be the same.
Armpit temperatures are 1 degree F lower, or 0.5 degree C lower.
Try not to use armpit temps unless you cannot obtain an oral, tympanic (ear), or temporal temperature because it is the least accurate in the armpit.
Unregistered 11:43 AM 12-23-2014
This is incorrect. Oral and Temporal are not the same.
Unregistered 08:17 PM 12-01-2015
That's true temporal thermometer which measures the temporal artery is different from oral temperature.
Tags:fever, thermometer
Reply Up