Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Think This Is Inappropriate
familyschoolcare 03:57 PM 03-03-2012
When I took the origination to get my license the woman, conducting the “class” told us that we can not leave children in the care unattended.

Nobody in the class myself included responded to this, as it is common sense not leave children unattended. Another was told but cannot find rule for

California, as I cannot find it in the regs.

When I go and pick up one of my DCB after school I have at least one other DCK with me, I “leave” them in the car, taking the keys with me and walk 2

feet to get DCB from his teachers. This DCB is special needs, which is the reason I must walk to his teachers and get him directly from them.

Another thread got me thinking about this arrangement. I was wondering if any of you consider this something that is inappropriate. Please keep in mind

that I can see the car the entire time and I always take the keys with me. I know that a few years back a law passed that made it illegal to leave a child

under the age of 5 in a car with the keys for any length of time for any reason, even if they are buckled in a car seat. I am not sure if this is the

reason for the announcement during origination or not.
cheerfuldom 04:11 PM 03-03-2012
I don't think it is inappropriate. If it is really 2 feet, you are basically getting out of the car just to get DCB in.
familyschoolcare 04:34 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I don't think it is inappropriate. If it is really 2 feet, you are basically getting out of the car just to get DCB in.
After getting the tap measurer out to give myself a visual on the matter I have decided that it is more like 10 feet.
Crystal 07:01 PM 03-03-2012
Yes, it is innapropriate. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you admittedly know that it is illegal to leave them unnattended for any length of time. I think you already know the answer to your question.

What if the teacher needs to talk to you and you think it will only be for a brief moment.....which turns into several minutes....ANYTHING can happen to distract you from watching the vehicle and those children could disappear.

Take the extra couple of steps and take the children out of the car and with you to pick up the school-ager. It only takes an extra minute or two
3kidzmama 07:58 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
When I took the origination to get my license the woman, conducting the “class” told us that we can not leave children in the care unattended.

Nobody in the class myself included responded to this, as it is common sense not leave children unattended. Another was told but cannot find rule for

When I go and pick up one of my DCB after school I have at least one other DCK with me, I “leave” them in the car, taking the keys with me and walk 2

feet to get DCB from his teachers. This DCB is special needs, which is the reason I must walk to his teachers and get him directly from them.

Another thread got me thinking about this arrangement. I was wondering if any of you consider this something that is inappropriate. Please keep in mind

that I can see the car the entire time and I always take the keys with me. I know that a few years back a law passed that made it illegal to leave a child

under the age of 5 in a car with the keys for any length of time for any reason, even if they are buckled in a car seat. I am not sure if this is the

I think you should have the child's mother request that he be brought to you by the teacher or an aid instead of you getting out of the car. When I taught special education, I or one of my aids put all of my students in their parents cars for safety reasons.
sharlan 08:02 PM 03-03-2012
If I can't physically touch the car, I don't leave a child in it.

(I saw a neighbor's car burst into flames as she pulled into her driveway. It was a very scary few seconds until she could unbuckle her toddler.)
Meeko 09:18 PM 03-03-2012
We have received thorough training on this from our state. If the children are in your line of sight at ALL times....you can be outside the vehicle. If you are going to be out of sight for even a second, it is not legal and you must take the children with you. Other states may vary of course. Makes no difference to me as I do not transport, but it has been brought up at many meetings over the years.
Greenplasticwateringcans 09:58 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yes, it is innapropriate. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you admittedly know that it is illegal to leave them unnattended for any length of time. I think you already know the answer to your question.

What if the teacher needs to talk to you and you think it will only be for a brief moment.....which turns into several minutes....ANYTHING can happen to distract you from watching the vehicle and those children could disappear.

Take the extra couple of steps and take the children out of the car and with you to pick up the school-ager. It only takes an extra minute or two
Taking, let's say, 5 toddlers/babies out of a car takes much longer then a minute or two.

That is besides the point anyway. 10 feet in clear view isn't an issue for my regs...It's less then 2 times my height. I'd call for clarification on this. If licensing says no then I would have the child brought to my vehicle.
There is no way I'd take 10 minutes to take kids out to walk 10 feet only to put them back in my van.
Crystal 08:23 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
Taking, let's say, 5 toddlers/babies out of a car takes much longer then a minute or two.

That is besides the point anyway. 10 feet in clear view isn't an issue for my regs...It's less then 2 times my height. I'd call for clarification on this. If licensing says no then I would have the child brought to my vehicle.
There is no way I'd take 10 minutes to take kids out to walk 10 feet only to put them back in my van.
It's part of the job. If you can't handle it, you shouldn't transport. Simple, really. (not directed at OP.....I am not saying you cannot handle it.)

Also, OP says she usually has at least one other DCK, not 5 toddlers and babies.

As a California provider, I can, without any doubt, say that Licensing would NOT approve of this.
sharlan 08:42 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:

Many CA regs are as clear as mud, not very clear. Personally, I have done it in the past. Would I do it today, NO. Obviously you aren't comfortable doing it or you wouldn't have asked.
Kaddidle Care 09:00 AM 03-04-2012
Why not ask his teachers to walk HIM the 10 feet to your car? Problem solved.

(I really don't think it's too much to ask)

We walk children much farther to our parking lot to assist parents that have several toddlers/babies in the car with them. It's not a big deal.
Greenplasticwateringcans 09:12 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It's part of the job. If you can't handle it, you shouldn't transport. Simple, really. (not directed at OP.....I am not saying you cannot handle it.)

Also, OP says she usually has at least one other DCK, not 5 toddlers and babies.

As a California provider, I can, without any doubt, say that Licensing would NOT approve of this.

I would never make that part of my job, ever. Spending 5 minutes to take children out, then take 20 seconds to walk 20 feet to then spend another 5 minutes to put everyone back in? What an insane waste of everyone's time and patience. It would never work for me or be fair to the other children.

I happily transport children to the park, outings, activities where we spend more then 7 minutes out of a vehicle.
PitterPatter 10:59 AM 03-04-2012
I'm not sure what the range is for regs here but I personally wouldn't leave a child in the car. You have to turn your back at some point to greet the teacher and child so that would be a no for me unless they were right at the car door of course. I would kindly ask the teacher if she could bring the child to your car because you have another child with you.
saved4always 01:08 PM 03-04-2012
I don't transport any children now. The only time I have done it is to take my own daughter to preschool. It was a pain, but I would take all the kids out of the car. I know at least part of the time, I had a couple dck's, one who was a baby. I would put the baby in a stroller and have my daughter and the other older child each hold a handle and I would walk my dd in with the other kids. I would have to be out of sight of the van for a while because the entrance was really wierd...around a corner and down a hill from the parking lot... so it would have been inappropriate to leave anyone in it. If I was in your situation, I would definitely ask the parents to request that the teacher(s) drop the dcb off at your car. They have to be out there with him anyways, so I don't see why they cannot walk him the 10 feet to your van. That would be safer, too, than having to put multiple kids in and out of a car in a parking lot and walk them to and from the school.
familyschoolcare 02:26 PM 03-04-2012
I have decieded that what I will do is talk to the school/teachers and have them meet me at the car. This will take some working on for me and the

school as I do not pick this child up everyday. If the school is not able to do this then I will park and get the elemtary children out of the car and walk to get this child.
Kaddidle Care 02:33 PM 03-04-2012
Great idea!

One of the parents we do this for just gives us a ring on his phone when he is close. Maybe you can ring them just prior to leaving, telling them you'll be there at pick up time.

It can be done without huge inconvenience to anyone.
familyschoolcare 02:37 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Great idea!

One of the parents we do this for just gives us a ring on his phone when he is close. Maybe you can ring them just prior to leaving, telling them you'll be there at pick up time.

It can be done without huge inconvenience to anyone.
That is a good idea.

I am always at the school before the bell rings because of what time the school I pick up at before that one gets out. So the teacher just need to know when I am oicking up and when Mom is picking up.
Reply Up