Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Potential Client Visiting DC Policy?
Dsquared 05:42 AM 03-09-2012
It seems that quite a few new potential clients for my wife's daycare want to "come by and hang out for an hour" (in their words) one day before they make a decision/commitment. What is everyone's policy regarding requests like this? I think an hour is a long time to impose.
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 03-09-2012
Here is a super long thread about this topic. Hopefully you can find out how others feel and get some insight into whether observation is something you want to do or not. It isn't right for some providers but others welcome it so it is definitely a personal decision.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...t=observations
Dsquared 06:08 AM 03-09-2012
Thanks for the link!
nannyde 06:14 AM 03-09-2012
I don't allow that. They can come for an hour at the end of one of my shifts when I have clients coming to retrieve their kid and my staff assistant is here. I do an iowa Courts Online check on them before I allow that.

I don't allow observation of the other people's children. My parents don't want someone they don't know watching their kids play. They are okay with me touring the house to show the rooms but they wouldn't go for having an adult sit in a room and watch their child. If they wanted that they could go to a center.
SunshineMama 06:41 AM 03-09-2012
I do not allow anyone but the parents of the current children to visit. If I were one of my other parents, I would not want my provider having different people in and out of the house, busy marketing herself to potential clients instead of caring for my children.

I would tell the potential client that, while you understand where she is coming from, your obligation is to the children in care, not to securing future business during working hours.
JenNJ 07:13 AM 03-09-2012
No way. I am pretty sure I replied in the other thread.
Mary Poppins 07:41 AM 03-09-2012
Noooo. I have clients in law enforcement and it is very important to them (and me!) that a certain level of privacy is kept here. I actually explain this during my interviews and everyone seems OK with it once they "get it".
GoodKarma 07:59 AM 03-09-2012
I agree with everyone who posted. It's a matter of safety. In centers there are a lot of other adults present whereas most of us are the only adult in the house.
sharlan 08:02 AM 03-09-2012
I've found that the appts I set up for on the weekends don't show. I'm not giving up another weekend so parents can now come during daycare hours.
cheerfuldom 08:08 AM 03-09-2012
I do interviews outside business hours and do not allow strangers around the kids. The parents coming in never just sit around and watch the kids play BEFORE deciding. Now, if they are enrolled but new, I will allow one or two play dates before kid starts full time. Kid stays to get comfy but parents leave.
MrsB 08:12 AM 03-09-2012
I have had a few parents ask about it in the initial phone calls. I give them my interview schedule and then tell them if they still feel they need an observation after that then we can discuss it at that time.

This is the schedule that I set up

1st interview - after DC hours can be w/ child

2nd interview after DC hours w/ child. At this interview they get my interview book, with our routine, several samples/pictures of what we do. Letters from different Current and previous DCparents. Also included is a list of names and numbers of references that I strongly urge them to call.

Then, if I think the child is a good fit and I can meet the parents needs. I offer them the choice of paying the deposit or I give them the option of 3- 2 hour drop off trial periods.

After that parent can sign or decline (as can I, but this is more for parents than me) I can almost always tell by the end of the 2nd interview what the child is like.

I have NEVER had anyone still want to do an obeservation after following that process.

So I guess I am never totally OPPOSED to it, but I would have to have some convincing by a parent as to why it would be necessary. If its because they have unanswered questions, I would answer them. I think that if you have great dialogue with a family than their need for an observation is greatly diminished. I would explain my apprehension as to the safety of the kids, the kids getting thrown off of routine, etc. If it was because they are a super micromanager I might suggest a nanny and a nanny-cam. I kid! I kid!
Reply Up