Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pre-Interview Questionaire On My Website
Mary Poppins 12:20 PM 03-28-2012
I am seriously considering adding a page to my site that says something like "please carefully read and answer these questions honestly before scheduling an interview in order to make sure we are a right fit for you and you are a right fit for (name of DC's) program."

Then I will have 10 or 12 basic questions for them to ask themselves so that they get a really good idea of what I am looking for and whether or not our philosophies mesh.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a form they submit that I can see, although that is an option.

I thought I could direct them there from the front page or during our initial phone conversation and tell them depending on how they respond it will be up to them whether or not we should go ahead and schedule interviews.

Does this sound crazy to you?
Heidi 12:23 PM 03-28-2012
No....I LIKE it!

When you get your list done, share it so I can plagarize!
SunshineMama 12:27 PM 03-28-2012
HAHA this is an awesome idea! I bet it saves you lots of time too- fitering out the people you woudnt accept!

Do share some of your questions if you dont mind please.
Mary Poppins 12:27 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
No....I LIKE it!

When you get your list done, share it so I can plagarize!
Deal!

In the top 3 will definitely be... "can you take your child out in public without getting dirty looks from everyone around you?"

Kidding, of course, but you get the idea...
SunshineMama 12:31 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Deal!

In the top 3 will definitely be... "can you take your child out in public without getting dirty looks from everyone around you?"

Kidding, of course, but you get the idea...
HAHA! I love it!

A barrage of sarcastic questions is circling my mind right now
MrsB 12:52 PM 03-28-2012
I want to plagerize too!

or we could help you and people could add questions they would put on theirs?

Hmmmm...drawing a blank
AfterSchoolMom 01:00 PM 03-28-2012
How about "do you think that you can take five seconds per week to remember that payday is the same amount, on the same day of the week, every single week, all year long?"
Heidi 01:11 PM 03-28-2012
If you came to pick up your child, and found her covered head-to-toe in mud or paint, would you laugh or would you cry?
Bella99 01:22 PM 03-28-2012
How do you feel about all natural mud baths (ahem.. backyard mud baths)
Blackcat31 01:26 PM 03-28-2012
I have a 10 question sheet I give to parents to fill out before I interview with them.

I usually e-mail it to them and then have them e-mail it back before they come for the interview. Then I can look the answers over and will know what to ask or not ask about during the interview.

If you ask the "right" questions, it is easy to get the parents to be honest. The trick is to ask them in a way that they can only answer honestly and word them so thatthe questions don't lead them in one direction or another....kwim?
spud912 01:44 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a 10 question sheet I give to parents to fill out before I interview with them.

I usually e-mail it to them and then have them e-mail it back before they come for the interview. Then I can look the answers over and will know what to ask or not ask about during the interview.

If you ask the "right" questions, it is easy to get the parents to be honest. The trick is to ask them in a way that they can only answer honestly and word them so thatthe questions don't lead them in one direction or another....kwim?
I'm very curious what your questions are now! Can you give an example??? Please?
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I'm very curious what your questions are now! Can you give an example??? Please?
Sure! Here are the 10 questions I ask every parent:

1.) Please describe what qualities you are looking for in a child care provider:

2.) Please tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in regards to the environment:
(for example; are you looking for a large group for your child to learn social skills or are you looking for a small group so your child receives more one-to-one care)

3.) What do you find is the most difficult part of parenting? the easiest?

4.) Please describe your bed time expectations/routines
a) your meal time/expectations routines
b) your daily activities/routines

5.) Are there other adults in your child's life that are a source of influence, support, guidance and care giving?

6.) Are you a fairly scheduled family or do you prefer to take things as they come?

7.) What are the last 3 illnesses/situations that required your child to see a doctor?

8.) Would you describe your child as a leader, a follower or a little of both?

9.) Please tell me a little bit about your discipline methods both at home and in public

10.) What is your number one reason for seeking a home based child care vs. center care

The answers to these questions tell you ALOT about a family and what they believe and how they operate at home etc...
spud912 02:32 PM 03-28-2012

1.) Please describe what qualities you are looking for in a child care provider:

2.) Please tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in regards to the environment:
(for example; are you looking for a large group for your child to learn social skills or are you looking for a small group so your child receives more one-to-one care)

5.) Are there other adults in your child's life that are a source of influence, support, guidance and care giving?

6.) Are you a fairly scheduled family or do you prefer to take things as they come?

7.) What are the last 3 illnesses/situations that required your child to see a doctor?

9.) Please tell me a little bit about your discipline methods both at home and in public

10.) What is your number one reason for seeking a home based child care vs. center care

The answers to these questions tell you ALOT about a family and what they believe and how they operate at home etc...
Thanks! I just thought of one in relation to your 9th question:

What type of behavior in your child warrants discipline?
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
Thanks! I just thought of one in relation to your 9th question:

What type of behavior in your child warrants discipline?
It is always interesting to see what things parents will say about their child and how they behave. 99.9% of the time, you can tell within 2 days of spending time with the child if the parent was/is truthful about things.
Country Kids 04:01 PM 03-28-2012
Some of mine would be:

Will you allow child to leave for field trips?

Will you allow your child to be here in the event a sub will come in?

Do you have adequate backup in the event of vacations, sickness, etc.?
Bella99 04:03 PM 03-28-2012
Ask if they've ever had chicken pox!
Heidi 04:29 PM 03-28-2012

I like the way you worded them...there is no "right" or "wrong" answer...just a chance to gain insight. You haven't told them how you feel, so they will probably give you honest answers.
Blackcat31 07:15 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
I like the way you worded them...there is no "right" or "wrong" answer...just a chance to gain insight. You haven't told them how you feel, so they will probably give you honest answers.
EXACTLY!
Tags:interview - questions
Reply Up