Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help...Homeowners Insurance Policy!!!
busymommy0420 10:44 AM 09-12-2012
I just called my agent for my home owners insurance to add an umbrella policy for my in home daycare and they stated the company I have my policy does NOT do that and now that they know I have a daycare they are going to cancel my policy. I am a licensed daycare, able to watch up to 8 children in New York State. What am I going to do? We own our 2400 sq ft home and HAVE to have home owners insurance. Please help me! Who else has a policy with a home daycare?
BumbleBee 10:54 AM 09-12-2012
I had the same problem-homeowners doesn't cover home daycare & would drop me when I opened. I looked at a bunch of companies and all of them said no. Finally found insurance with West Bend Mutual & Michigan Insurance Company. West Bend covers business liability at $400 a year while Michigan Insurance Company covers the home at $1600 a year.

It's pricey but it was the only option for me at the time. Everybody else said no.

You may have better luck, hopefully someone else will chime in soon.
Provider_Manda 11:39 AM 09-12-2012
This happened to me while I was with Progressive..I ended going with Allstate and got a very good deal and liability through them.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 09-12-2012
Here is a list of insurance people from Tom Copeland's blog.

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...directory.html
MyAngels 03:02 PM 09-12-2012
American Family knew I had a daycare and didn't cancel my homeowner's, so maybe them. I have State Farm now, but I'm not entirely sure I've ever mentioned to my agent about the daycare, but he knows me personally so I'm sure he knows about it.

I've always carried a separate policy for the daycare, though, so that may make a difference as to whether a company will insure your home or not.
lovemykidstoo 03:38 PM 09-12-2012
I have my homeowners insurance with Farm Bureau in Michigan and my daycare policy at CASC insurance.
SunnyDay 05:52 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have my homeowners insurance with Farm Bureau in Michigan and my daycare policy at CASC insurance.
Same here. My Farm Bureau agent took care of everything for me through CASC. I pay $500/year for the child care liability insurance. I am licensed for 12.
daycare 05:56 PM 09-12-2012
I think each company differs by state....

I am covered by all-state and am fine here in CA. My friend who is in Colorado cannot get the same coverage I have through all-state there for her daycare and home owners..
lovemykidstoo 05:59 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
Same here. My Farm Bureau agent took care of everything for me through CASC. I pay $500/year for the child care liability insurance. I am licensed for 12.
Are you in Michigan?
lovemykidstoo 06:03 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
Mine was $520 and I'm licensed for 6. It went way up because I have an above ground pool (which we don't even use for daycare).
itlw8 06:14 PM 09-12-2012
You get on the phone and start calling. We were canceled once. They decided they would not cover houses with wood stoves.

State farm at the time would insure us but only for 4 children I was licensed for 10 I understand they now write childcare policies and cover for more children

We Went with MO Farm Bureau they covered us BUT I had to sign a waiver they do not covery ANY thing to do with the business. so I have a policy for that elsewhere.
Sprouts 06:29 PM 09-12-2012
I am ny too, I believe state farm covers up to six children...I have met life, not sure if I told them about my child care....I actually just switched to the insurance that black cat recommended...

http://www.acainc.org/acaHomePage.html

The insurance page was down when I just checked it, hope that's not a bad sign lol
SunnyDay 06:39 PM 09-12-2012
Mine was $520 and I'm licensed for 6. It went way up because I have an above ground pool (which we don't even use for daycare).
Yes, I am in MI, too. We have no pool, not even a wading pool. We also do not do any transportation. I can't remember the other questions they asked, but we are pretty low risk around here
momofsix 06:21 AM 09-13-2012
Really? I have FB for my homeowners and they wouldn't insure me unless I had 6 kids total enrolled[/b] Even though I have only 6 at a time I have more than that enrolled. My FB agent set me up with another insurer for DC-otherwise they would have dropped me once they found out about the daycare.

I might have to call my guy back and have him check with his higher ups!

edit!
oops I didn't read carefully! Sorry! And I can't delete the post! I have CSAC for daycare too, $390/year.
MommieNana4 09:05 AM 09-13-2012
I have State Farm (someone else mentioned them). All the best.
busymommy0420 04:31 PM 10-02-2012
****UPDATE****

I went through New England Insurance Services Inc. they were able to write me a new home owners policy and I purchased a separate daycare insurance policy as well with them. It was around $500 more a year total but having the piece of mind is worth it. There website is below if anyone is looking for daycare coverage for an in-home daycare.

~B

http://www.neisinc.com/
saved4always 06:43 PM 10-02-2012
My husband got my daycare added to our Allstate homeowners policy, I believe. This thread reminds me...I should make sure he had that part cancelled now that I work away from our home at a center.
lovemykidstoo 06:49 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Really? I have FB for my homeowners and they wouldn't insure me unless I had 6 kids total enrolled[/b] Even though I have only 6 at a time I have more than that enrolled. My FB agent set me up with another insurer for DC-otherwise they would have dropped me once they found out about the daycare.

I might have to call my guy back and have him check with his higher ups!

edit!
oops I didn't read carefully! Sorry! And I can't delete the post! I have CSAC for daycare too, $390/year.
LOL, I just saw your post. We're pretty close to each other in price then.
daycarediva 03:34 AM 06-19-2013
I am also in NY and my insurance agent just dropped the business liability (and almost my homeowner's, had a certain time frame to get separate insurance) so I would call and ask IF you got separate liability insurance would they still cover the house, and then go from there.

I went with https://assurechildcare.hayscompanies.com/

If not, I would call a TON of agents to get quotes on both coverages. Good luck!!!
Familycare71 05:49 AM 06-19-2013
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
I just called my agent for my home owners insurance to add an umbrella policy for my in home daycare and they stated the company I have my policy does NOT do that and now that they know I have a daycare they are going to cancel my policy. I am a licensed daycare, able to watch up to 8 children in New York State. What am I going to do? We own our 2400 sq ft home and HAVE to have home owners insurance. Please help me! Who else has a policy with a home daycare?
I have Allstate in NYS and they have a daycare rider... I am working on getting a desperate policy for my family daycare and it is running me about $500 per year-
Familycare71 05:50 AM 06-19-2013
I don't know what area you are in ny but if you want pm me and I can give you my agents name . I am in upstate
DaisyMamma 11:32 AM 06-19-2013
I didn't read tide other posts.
I have Statefarm and they cover my daycare on a 1m policy, which alltogether costs less than my old policy with no daycare coverage.
MarinaVanessa 11:55 AM 06-19-2013
I have State Farm (in CA) and I just had to add a rider to my policy which they provide. The only thing is that they only cover up to 6 kids which worked for me anyway because I have 2 kids of my own and my license is for 8 kids so it works out. I know that some states are different but it's worth a try to get quotes to ALL of your local insurance agencies, online insurance companies as well as daycare specific insurance companies in order to make sure you get the best price.
Unregistered 07:51 PM 06-20-2013
Daycare/Business is excluded in most regular homeowner policies. SOME companies in a few states may offer an endorsement (rider) which is separate from your overall policy. I know where I work now, we do NOT offer any type of commercial business/small business OR daycare insurance rider. You could get a special liability policy just for daycare (I think the one I used, it might have been called DC ins services but I haven't been doing daycare in a while and was $344 per year but keep in mind this was the latest price back in 2010) and then fax proof of insurance to your current company. That may be enough for them to not choose to non-renew you. I don't believe it's customary for insurance companies to simply drop you until your current term expires and you are renewing, so you should have some time to get the paperwork together if they do not offer a rider (which it sounds like they don't).
MaryM 12:31 PM 08-06-2013
Try finding insurance that will cover a daycare in OKLAHOMA of all places! . #tornadoalley. 👎👎👎
Memc2001 03:14 PM 08-06-2013
I have no additional homeowners insurance. Licensed for 10 kids, too.
I looked into it years ago and apparently being a child care provider in MO is a bad thing. I operate under an LLC but that is about the only protection I have. I was unable to find a company that would cover me that wasn't astronomical.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Blackcat31 03:20 PM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by MaryM:
Try finding insurance that will cover a daycare in OKLAHOMA of all places! . #tornadoalley. ������
Originally Posted by Memc2001:
I have no additional homeowners insurance. Licensed for 10 kids, too.
I looked into it years ago and apparently being a child care provider in MO is a bad thing. I operate under an LLC but that is about the only protection I have. I was unable to find a company that would cover me that wasn't astronomical.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
This site offers Liability insurance in BOTH OK and MO for pretty competitive rates. You can pay monthly or all at once. The rate is dependent on the number of kids you have in care and/or your license status.

http://www.assurechildcare.com/child...nce-quote.html

Hope that helps.
MaryM 10:26 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This site offers Liability insurance in BOTH OK and MO for pretty competitive rates. You can pay monthly or all at once. The rate is dependent on the number of kids you have in care and/or your license status.

http://www.assurechildcare.com/child...nce-quote.html

Hope that helps.
Thanks BC! I actually have liability through State Farm, but trying to find homeowners insurance that will cover my house since having a daycare is ridiculous! It's either 1. WAY expensive if you even find one, or 2. They will only cover you for a certain # of kids-which is always less than what the state says I can keep, which is max 7 with 2 under 2yrs.

I have Safeco currently, but just had a rate increase. (About $200/yr more) So, now the house payment goes up.
Liz Downs 01:00 PM 05-22-2014
We are a woman-owned insurance agency that underwrites in-home child care liability coverage and in some states, homeowners coverage for individuals who care for children in their home.

We happen to write in the State of NY.

Give us a call, maybe we can help you.

Liz Downs
New England Insurance Services, Inc.
(888) 845-8288 x 108
LysesKids 01:29 PM 05-22-2014
I have State Farm now with only 4 kids, however when I first started in 2000, I was licensed in another state for 7 kids and they covered me; the point is you have to be running legally for them to cover you. BTW, I live in a Manufactured home and did back in 2000 also, so it doesn't need to be stick built to qualify (I bought new both times, so that might have helped)
Thriftylady 04:17 PM 07-28-2015
I am LEGALLY unlicensed in Ohio (Class B daycare home) and can't find any coverage for liability. Really irks me, because I am legal but insurance companies don't offer for it.
LysesKids 08:39 PM 07-28-2015
State Farm covers me as long as I am running legal by state law... I used them when I first started in WV 15 years ago, however they put me thru the ringer when I tried to make a claim back in FEB due to an ice/deepfreeze storm. Sucks because I had a 1000 deductible, when for 3 more a month (yes just $3) I could have cut my deductible in half & the claim would have gone thru... now I have to wait a year to drop the deductible even though it was a ZERO claim because they didn't allow my hotel stay - my home was less than 20 degrees for 4 days so I had to close (no electric), so essentially they told me my hotel stay to stay alive wasn't covered, yet had I stayed in the home & died from freezing they would have paid out my life insurance ( crazy huh)
Unregistered 04:30 PM 10-09-2017
What company do you use, I have a home daycare licensed for 12 and I also have an above ground pool. Having a hard time finding a company. HELP if you can!!
HappyEverAfter 05:00 PM 10-09-2017
I am with State Farm in TN and couldn't get coverage for my daycare added to my homeowners policy because I am license exempt and they would only add coverage if I obtained a license. They didn't threaten to cancel my homeowners but just wouldn't cover my daycare. Finally found separate liability coverage from Next Insurance for about $40 per month. You could always try to get a new homeowners policy that doesn't have daycare coverage and then find a separate daycare policy.
lovemykidstoo 10:40 AM 10-10-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What company do you use, I have a home daycare licensed for 12 and I also have an above ground pool. Having a hard time finding a company. HELP if you can!!
I go through Farmers. Homeowners and daycare.

https://www.farmers.com/?SourceID=MS...d&utm_content=[farmers-insurance-group]4370002566035178943700025660351789&gclid=CIGBvNbM5tYCFdNJgQod5VsL5A&gclsrc=ds
ColorfulSunburst 02:04 PM 10-13-2017
I am in NY and I originally went to my home owners for an add-on (Statefarm) and learned they dont do it. I found another company for the business to get general liability and coverage. Then I let State farm know so they know I have other coverage so they would not cancel my policy. You can try that approach if you like your company and policy. If they still cancel you after acquiring a policy from another company, then call them up and let them know that's a crappy way to do business and you hope they get soaked by their other policy holders operating home businesses that they don't know about when they submit a claim!
Tags:homeowners insurance
Reply Up