Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Online ECE Degree Programs
Lavender 10:36 AM 08-30-2013
I've just finished up my CDA, but I really want to go back to school to finish my degree. My problem is my husband is military and it is hard to want to commit to a school knowing we will up and move whenever we are told to. That, combined with the fact that I currently work in a center, makes me feel that an online degree is best. Any recommendations or reservations about any programs? Anyone else do theirs online? I am looking at one right now that is rated well (Vanguard University) and would allow me to use my classroom to complete the classes (and the daycare owners are supportive) but it is $375 a credit hour which is a lot considering how much ECE careers pay. There is an associate program with a scholarship for current ECE workers that resulting in $140 a credit hour, but I'm not sure if I should do that since I want a bachelors and the classes are different for each. The college representative did indicate to me that they would probably offer at least 9 credit hours based on my CDA work.
Maria2013 10:57 AM 08-30-2013
I looked into accreditation then I realized I don't even know what they're for how is having one of those certificates on my wall benefit my business?....can you, or someone else please explain?
MarinaVanessa 11:26 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
I've just finished up my CDA, but I really want to go back to school to finish my degree. My problem is my husband is military and it is hard to want to commit to a school knowing we will up and move whenever we are told to. That, combined with the fact that I currently work in a center, makes me feel that an online degree is best. Any recommendations or reservations about any programs? Anyone else do theirs online? I am looking at one right now that is rated well (Vanguard University) and would allow me to use my classroom to complete the classes (and the daycare owners are supportive) but it is $375 a credit hour which is a lot considering how much ECE careers pay. There is an associate program with a scholarship for current ECE workers that resulting in $140 a credit hour, but I'm not sure if I should do that since I want a bachelors and the classes are different for each. The college representative did indicate to me that they would probably offer at least 9 credit hours based on my CDA work.
Have you tried looking at smaller colleges where you live now that have ECE/CD courses that provide online classes? If you are trying to get your AA you can try a community college and transfer out later to another university to finish up your BA and that in itself will save you money. For example, I'm currently taking courses in early child development at my community college which are only $46 per unit and then later will transfer to a 4 year university to complete my BA which will then be $265 per unit.

Now I'm not sure if there are other options for degrees and if they all work the same everywhere but at my community college they only provide some courses online but there are other courses that have to be taken in person especially because hands on and observation experience is required to get the degree. For the meantime I take evening and online courses as I can but I know that I will have to take some courses on campus (including a few general ed classes) because they don't offer the course online or in the evening time.

Maybe someone else knows of an online college that offers what you need. Also keep in mind that any time that you enroll into an accredited college to take online only courses you will most likely pay a higher amount because they tend to charge non-resident tuition rates which are much higher than their regular tuition rates. I'd shop around until you find something that meets your needs.
butterfly 11:49 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I looked into accreditation then I realized I don't even know what they're for how is having one of those certificates on my wall benefit my business?....can you, or someone else please explain?
Me too. For me to remain a home daycare, I don't see the point. I'm sure it's a nice thing to tell the parents that you have it, but I (knock on wood) haven't had an issue staying full. I have great word of mouth and haven't had to advertise in many years - since initial opening... I don't see the point for the extra time and expense...

If I wanted to be a preschool director or something, then yeah, maybe...
butterfly 11:52 AM 08-30-2013
And sorry, Lavendar, for my rant... Congrats on furthering your education!! Sorry I didn't offer anything productive to this thread.
Provider_Manda 11:55 AM 08-30-2013
I am taking ECE online through University of Cincinnati. I am going through the T.E.A.C.H scholarship, and got Pell Grants. This semester ran about $1300.
Lavender 12:02 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I'm sorry I have no idea. I don't know anything about accreditation and I don't have a business.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Have you tried looking at smaller colleges where you live now that have ECE/CD courses that provide online classes? If you are trying to get your AA you can try a community college and transfer out later to another university to finish up your BA and that in itself will save you money. For example, I'm currently taking courses in early child development at my community college which are only $46 per unit and then later will transfer to a 4 year university to complete my BA which will then be $265 per unit.

Now I'm not sure if there are other options for degrees and if they all work the same everywhere but at my community college they only provide some courses online but there are other courses that have to be taken in person especially because hands on and observation experience is required to get the degree. For the meantime I take evening and online courses as I can but I know that I will have to take some courses on campus (including a few general ed classes) because they don't offer the course online or in the evening time.

Maybe someone else knows of an online college that offers what you need. Also keep in mind that any time that you enroll into an accredited college to take online only courses you will most likely pay a higher amount because they tend to charge non-resident tuition rates which are much higher than their regular tuition rates. I'd shop around until you find something that meets your needs.
None of the colleges in this area offer online CD or ECE degrees. I am unable to do it in person because of my job plus having no one who could help me with my kids when I was at classes (my husband works until as late as 11pm in his current job plus weekends with no predictability for when each day will end). We are only in our current location for another 16 months as well with no idea where we will go next. I've already had to pause my education 3 times due to his military career, I want a situation that will finally work for me to complete.
Lavender 12:03 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
I am taking ECE online through University of Cincinnati. I am going through the T.E.A.C.H scholarship, and got Pell Grants. This semester ran about $1300.
Thanks! I will look into that. I once lived in Cincinnati
originalkat 12:47 PM 08-30-2013
I am going to Fort Hays State University (Kansas). It is a great online program. They have an Early Childhood Ed degree that you can do with or without getting a state teaching credential. The one without does not require student teaching. They also have a BA in General Studies with a concentration in Child Development. That is the one I am doing. It is $182 per credit hour for both resident and non-resident. That is a really good price for virtual degree programs. My Pell grant pays for tuition and books each semester! I am taking 9 credit hours. I have 3 more semesters to go.

http://www.fhsu.edu/virtualcollege/degrees/bachelors/
Lil'DinoEggs 12:47 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
You mentioned you are a military family and you work at a center. 1. Look up the MyCaa program. It is free money (kaching!) for military spouses. Once upon a time is was $4,000. I don't know what it is now. 2. What about his GI Bill. Does he have it and does he plan to use it? If not they you should be able to use it for yourself to get a Bachelors. My husband never touched his because of TA and I already have a BS so now it will just go to our kids. Find the education office on your military installation to ask about it. 3. They can recommend a military friendly online school especially one that will consider everything I just said plus is good with moving. Finally, 4. if you work at a center, ask the director or other teachers where they got their degrees. I bet several got theirs online as well so they can also recommend a program.

Best of luck to you
Lavender 01:01 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I am going to Fort Hays State University (Kansas). It is a great online program. They have an Early Childhood Ed degree that you can do with or without getting a state teaching credential. The one without does not require student teaching. They also have a BA in General Studies with a concentration in Child Development. That is the one I am doing. It is $182 per credit hour for both resident and non-resident. That is a really good price for virtual degree programs. My Pell grant pays for tuition and books each semester! I am taking 9 credit hours. I have 3 more semesters to go.

http://www.fhsu.edu/virtualcollege/degrees/bachelors/
Thanks, I will look into that one!

Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
You mentioned you are a military family and you work at a center. 1. Look up the MyCaa program. It is free money (kaching!) for military spouses. Once upon a time is was $4,000. I don't know what it is now. 2. What about his GI Bill. Does he have it and does he plan to use it? If not they you should be able to use it for yourself to get a Bachelors. My husband never touched his because of TA and I already have a BS so now it will just go to our kids. Find the education office on your military installation to ask about it. 3. They can recommend a military friendly online school especially one that will consider everything I just said plus is good with moving. Finally, 4. if you work at a center, ask the director or other teachers where they got their degrees. I bet several got theirs online as well so they can also recommend a program.

Best of luck to you
Thanks for all the suggestions. MyCAA is only available for E5 and under and my husband is a higher rank. I tried to use it when he was that rank but the school I attended would not complete the necessary process. If I were to use his GI Bill we would be forfeiting the large monthly stipend as well as the book allowance so we have chosen to save it for our kids instead. My husband is not using it as his degree is being paid for via TA. I am not on or near any military base so there is not an education office I can turn to. The only person at my center who has obtained their degree online has done so in a different field than I want. The lady who did my CDA observation obtained her degree online and for a great price, but it looks like one of those for-profit colleges with questionable accreditation. I'd hate to get a degree that would cause me problems getting a job when I will already have so many barriers with being a military wife and moving all the time. I wonder how much that really matters though. Seems like more and more people are attending those kind of colleges without issue.
MyAngels 01:02 PM 08-30-2013
The Teach Preschool blog Facebook page had a post yesterday asking for people to comment about online degree programs. Here is the page, I know there were several replies so that might give you some programs to check out: https://www.facebook.com/Teachpresch...ocation=stream

(Hopefully I did that right )

There is a junior college near me that offers an AA that's supposedly completely online, but I've not checked it out thoroughly: http://online.parkland.edu/index.cfm
Moppetland 01:14 PM 08-30-2013
I attend Kendall College online. If the center you are working at is NAECY or NAFCC (home child care) accredited, you can use those sites for your field hours.
Lavender 01:29 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
The Teach Preschool blog Facebook page had a post yesterday asking for people to comment about online degree programs. Here is the page, I know there were several replies so that might give you some programs to check out: https://www.facebook.com/Teachpresch...ocation=stream

(Hopefully I did that right )

There is a junior college near me that offers an AA that's supposedly completely online, but I've not checked it out thoroughly: http://online.parkland.edu/index.cfm
Wow, lots of suggestions! Thanks so much I will look into all of them.

Originally Posted by Moppetland:
I attend Kendall College online. If the center you are working at is NAECY or NAFCC (home child care) accredited, you can use those sites for your field hours.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply Up