Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance American Web Loan LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook


Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default Pink Eye Question

Okay - so I had a DCG go out Friday with bacterial pink eye. The mom took her to the Dr Friday afternoon and started her meds that night. The mom just text me (today is Sunday) and said "Her eyes look a lot better. She has a couple more days of her eyedrop meds and then she'll be 100% all good. Now I got it though. Can she come back tomorrow?"

My reply was "She can return on Wednesday if her medication drops are complete and her eyes are 100% better. I cant risk any of the other kids catching this. Now that you have it, can she catch it again?" She responded with "No she wont get it again because I'm not contagious since I'm taking her drops too and we both wont get it again. I'll keep her home till Wednesday".

I really dont care if shes mad that I'm making her stay home till Wednesday because the other babies are my concern right now. But my question is - can she get it again from her mom while taking those drops? And shouldn't she not be sharing those drops?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM
lovemylife's Avatar
lovemylife lovemylife is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Okay - so I had a DCG go out Friday with bacterial pink eye. The mom took her to the Dr Friday afternoon and started her meds that night. The mom just text me (today is Sunday) and said "Her eyes look a lot better. She has a couple more days of her eyedrop meds and then she'll be 100% all good. Now I got it though. Can she come back tomorrow?"

My reply was "She can return on Wednesday if her medication drops are complete and her eyes are 100% better. I cant risk any of the other kids catching this. Now that you have it, can she catch it again?" She responded with "No she wont get it again because I'm not contagious since I'm taking her drops too and we both wont get it again. I'll keep her home till Wednesday".

I really dont care if shes mad that I'm making her stay home till Wednesday because the other babies are my concern right now. But my question is - can she get it again from her mom while taking those drops? And shouldn't she not be sharing those drops?

Thanks!

Bacterial pinkeye may cause more drainage than viral pinkeye. Bacterial infections usually last 7 to 10 days without antibiotic treatment and 2 to 4 days with antibiotic treatment. The person can usually return to day care, school, or work 24 hours after an antibiotic has been started if symptoms have improved. Prescription antibiotic treatment usually kills the bacteria that cause pinkeye.

^ this is from web md. In my contract it states that must be on antibiotics for pink eye for 48 hours. As for the mom, I would be iffy about her. The child shouldn't get it again because the medicine is in the body and working. If I remember correctly it is in the body for 2 weeks after treatment has ended. But that I'm not 100% sure on. The mom shouldn't be using her eye drops for a number of reasons, its illegal, children receive smaller doses of medications. So her eye drops could possibly not be strong enough to treat the mothers pink eye. Mom comes to drop off touches eye, touches door knob...everyone gets it. I would say the child is safe IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Thanks for that. Yeah I was thinking that too... the meds are made for a 25 lb kid... not a "large" adult woman lol

So I responded to her texts and said "I hope that you go to the dr too because you might need to find out if yours is viral or bacterial... since your sons was viral you said, vs hers being bacterial. Also her meds are a different dosage then yours would be I'd think. I hope you guys dont give it back & forth to each other ". She reponds with "My husband says it doesnt work that way. Since we're both on the meds she wont get it again".

Theeeeen she tries to threaten me... She says "If you want her out for 3-4 weeks then I'll just switch her to Kindercare". I said "I wasn't asking her to stay out for 3-4 weeks.. Just until her drops are complete on Wednesday... 2 days out - if she is all good. Kindercare would not allow a child to attend with pink eye either. If you are saying you want to switch her there permanently, thats fine - just let me know. Not sure if thats what you meant?"

She hasn't responded. I hate crap like this. I'm just trying to protect my other kids. I have a really tiny 3 month old in my daycare that was a preemie and I dont want to risk her or the other infants catching this. I dont appreciate her little threat about removing her. I really could care less if she does - because if you read my posts about her the other day - shes been wearing me thin lately anyway with her lies. So annoying to deal with this on a Sunday. Blahhh
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Thanks for that. Yeah I was thinking that too... the meds are made for a 25 lb kid... not a "large" adult woman lol

So I responded to her texts and said "I hope that you go to the dr too because you might need to find out if yours is viral or bacterial... since your sons was viral you said, vs hers being bacterial. Also her meds are a different dosage then yours would be I'd think. I hope you guys dont give it back & forth to each other ". She reponds with "My husband says it doesnt work that way. Since we're both on the meds she wont get it again".

Theeeeen she tries to threaten me... She says "If you want her out for 3-4 weeks then I'll just switch her to Kindercare". I said "I wasn't asking her to stay out for 3-4 weeks.. Just until her drops are complete on Wednesday... 2 days out - if she is all good. Kindercare would not allow a child to attend with pink eye either. If you are saying you want to switch her there permanently, thats fine - just let me know. Not sure if thats what you meant?"

She hasn't responded. I hate crap like this. I'm just trying to protect my other kids. I have a really tiny 3 month old in my daycare that was a preemie and I dont want to risk her or the other infants catching this. I dont appreciate her little threat about removing her. I really could care less if she does - because if you read my posts about her the other day - shes been wearing me thin lately anyway with her lies. So annoying to deal with this on a Sunday. Blahhh
The problem I have with this whole scenario is that unless the doc did an actual CULTURE of the eye drainage it's impossible to be for sure if its viral or bacterial. If the doc did that, it takes 48 hours at least to get the lab results back. I've never seen a doc do a culture just for pink eye.

Secondly, nobody here (daycares or schools) exclude for pink eye anymore.

Thirdly, there shouldn't be a worry for infants in your care because unless they are being touched by other kids, they aren't going to get pink eye. E number one line of defense is hand washing. As long as you are washing your hands before touching the babies and you don't allow other children to touch them, they will be fine.

Also of note, if its truly viral pink eye, it is usually associated with a cold. And with both types, it is cintageous before symptoms are even noticed. If the brother had viral pink eye, which is commonly cause by e cold virus adenovirus, everyone has already been exposed.

As far as the drops for pink eye, it's usually exactly e same drops that they give kids and adults. Per my pediatrician. Oral dosages of meds are different for a 25 lb vs an adult but that's not necessarily the case with eye and ear drops.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:32 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
The problem I have with this whole scenario is that unless the doc did an actual CULTURE of the eye drainage it's impossible to be for sure if its viral or bacterial. If the doc did that, it takes 48 hours at least to get the lab results back. I've never seen a doc do a culture just for pink eye.

Secondly, nobody here (daycares or schools) exclude for pink eye anymore.

Thirdly, there shouldn't be a worry for infants in your care because unless they are being touched by other kids, they aren't going to get pink eye. E number one line of defense is hand washing. As long as you are washing your hands before touching the babies and you don't allow other children to touch them, they will be fine.

Also of note, if its truly viral pink eye, it is usually associated with a cold. And with both types, it is cintageous before symptoms are even noticed. If the brother had viral pink eye, which is commonly cause by e cold virus adenovirus, everyone has already been exposed.

As far as the drops for pink eye, it's usually exactly e same drops that they give kids and adults. Per my pediatrician. Oral dosages of meds are different for a 25 lb vs an adult but that's not necessarily the case with eye and ear drops.

The mom said that her dr said the girl has bacterial pink eye based on what he saw. No test done that I know of. Her son (who goes to preschool) supposably had viral pink eye a week prior and was sent home from school... Her dr said that because she had eye buggers that hers was bacterial and his was viral because no eye buggers. I dont know.

When you say "nobody here excludes for pink eye" - are you speaking for everyone on this board or just your area? Because all preschools and daycares where I live exclude them the same as I do. I've never heard of a daycare or school that is okay with it spreading like wildfire thru their daycare.

And yes - this DCG is very touchy touchy and likes to hug the infants and touch them... I'm a small home daycare - not a center - so they are in closer proximity to eachother then a center situation. PLUS I have my own family that lives here and MYSELF that I wouldn't want to get it. Pink Eye is vey contagious and NOT enjoyable so why someone who runs a daycare would be cool with it running rampant at their home is beyond me!

She doesnt have viral pink eye.. she has Bacterial Pink Eye.

Also the mom just stated to me that her dosage IS different then her daughters - which she just confirmed with her own dr... so she is going to the dr herself tomorrow to get the correct meds for an adult.

Anyway - I hope you never get a Pink Eye outbreak at your daycare!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
The mom said that her dr said the girl has bacterial pink eye based on what he saw. No test done that I know of. Her son (who goes to preschool) supposably had viral pink eye a week prior and was sent home from school... Her dr said that because she had eye buggers that hers was bacterial and his was viral because no eye buggers. I dont know.

When you say "nobody here excludes for pink eye" - are you speaking for everyone on this board or just your area? Because all preschools and daycares where I live exclude them the same as I do. I've never heard of a daycare or school that is okay with it spreading like wildfire thru their daycare.

And yes - this DCG is very touchy touchy and likes to hug the infants and touch them... I'm a small home daycare - not a center - so they are in closer proximity to eachother then a center situation. PLUS I have my own family that lives here and MYSELF that I wouldn't want to get it. Pink Eye is vey contagious and NOT enjoyable so why someone who runs a daycare would be cool with it running rampant at their home is beyond me!

She doesnt have viral pink eye.. she has Bacterial Pink Eye.

Also the mom just stated to me that her dosage IS different then her daughters - which she just confirmed with her own dr... so she is going to the dr herself tomorrow to get the correct meds for an adult.

Anyway - I hope you never get a Pink Eye outbreak at your daycare!
I meant nobody in my state excluded, centers, schools included. Myself included.

Sure, I've had a child with pink eye. It generally is more catchy in schools because one teacher can't keep 30 kids hands off each other lol. But I've never had it spread in my home beyond that first kid. Same with a cold.

I don't allow my older kids to touch my littles. AT ALL. EVER. they don't share toys either. I'm not a center. Just a small in home. 5 daycare kids. 2 of my own. They rarely share germs here at all as a matter of fact. The littles have their own area of my living room the kids over two aren't allowed to occupy. I have a visible barrier they all know not to cross.

Call it luck or very rigid hand washing but we just don't have anything running rampant here!

And again, everyone's symptoms are different and there is just no way to know between viral and bacterial for SURE. as far as dosage being different. Sure, mom needs two drops while daughter gets one drop. Here, docs prescribe exactly the same meds for pink eye for adults and kids, just one drop vs. two drops (of course, yur dck doc may do a completely different med). Everyone here has different daycare and etc experience. I'm only speaking from my own personal daycare and medical experience. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 PM
lovemylife's Avatar
lovemylife lovemylife is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 185
Default

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that. Keeping young children away from the older children every day.

As for the pink eye, I have heard of some places doing that. But I will never remove pink eye out of my contract.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylife View Post
I'm sorry but I don't agree with that. Keeping young children away from the older children every day.

As for the pink eye, I have heard of some places doing that. But I will never remove pink eye out of my contract.
And that's the fine thing about being an individual! We don't have to agree or do everything the same way

And I'm not sure anyone here recommended to remove anything from anyone's contract or illness policy??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In our area the general rule is that they can return to care 24 hours after the start of drops.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Yes- new protocol is to allow children back in to once drainage stops. I don't allow it at my home.
However once she is on drops or even an oral antibiotic it is no longer contagious. So really she should be allowed back based on contagiousness.
If mom is doing the drops- even if it isn't the right amount it will at least prevent spreading to others.
Ik you are upset at mom and totally understand however I do think you are going a bit over board with exclusion. In my opinion it would be the same as a child having strep, starting an antibiotic, being in the antibiotic for 24 hours, feeling fine and still being excluded for the 10 day antibiotic course- it really doesn't prevent anything.
My personal suggestion is that you term if you can- based on the lieing. You don't trust this mom and it sounds like it is going down hill quickly-
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In our area the general rule is that they can return to care 24 hours after the start of drops.
That sounds about right. That used to be my policy as well as most everyone here. I think it changed because doctors started saying by the time the goop started it was already contagious?? I'm not sure but that's when I remember things changing here. Now it's rarely heard of around here. But once a year I get a note home from school that pink eye is going around there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Yes - to each their own. I love for my children to interact with each other... I have infants only pretty much...some are full timers and some are part timers... 3 are under 12 months old, 1 is 16 months and the DCG just turned 2... but still acts like an infant at times. lol. They love to play together. I'd have to have each child gated in a separate area to be sure they never touch eachother... That would never happen!

Anyways... I just spoke with the mom on the phone because text messaging back & forth is super lame. She is going to the dr tomorrow to get her "own" meds and is having DCG re-checked at her dr on Tuesday. She is okay with my policies and understands my concerns. I just hope she doesn't lie to me everrrr again... You have to read my old posts to know what I'm even talking about.

Now to try to enjoy my Sunday and stop obsessing over this ca-ca
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:01 PM
lovemylife's Avatar
lovemylife lovemylife is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
And that's the fine thing about being an individual! We don't have to agree or do everything the same way

And I'm not sure anyone here recommended to remove anything from anyone's contract or illness policy??

Oh sorry wasn't referring to the pink eye and changing the contract. Just the part about keeping the younger children and the older children separated. I personally wouldn't want to do that. But as you said (in so many words) everyone is different. Can agree to disagree. Just me personally.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Yes - to each their own. I love for my children to interact with each other... I have infants only pretty much...some are full timers and some are part timers... 3 are under 12 months old, 1 is 16 months and the DCG just turned 2... but still acts like an infant at times. lol. They love to play together. I'd have to have each child gated in a separate area to be sure they never touch eachother... That would never happen!

Anyways... I just spoke with the mom on the phone because text messaging back & forth is super lame. She is going to the dr tomorrow to get her "own" meds and is having DCG re-checked at her dr on Tuesday. She is okay with my policies and understands my concerns. I just hope she doesn't lie to me everrrr again... You have to read my old posts to know what I'm even talking about.

Now to try to enjoy my Sunday and stop obsessing over this ca-ca
I know exactly why you feel the way you do!! You were more forgiving than I would be. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and I hope it all calms down!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Yes - to each their own. I love for my children to interact with each other... I have infants only pretty much...some are full timers and some are part timers... 3 are under 12 months old, 1 is 16 months and the DCG just turned 2... but still acts like an infant at times. lol. They love to play together. I'd have to have each child gated in a separate area to be sure they never touch eachother... That would never happen!

Anyways... I just spoke with the mom on the phone because text messaging back & forth is super lame. She is going to the dr tomorrow to get her "own" meds and is having DCG re-checked at her dr on Tuesday. She is okay with my policies and understands my concerns. I just hope she doesn't lie to me everrrr again... You have to read my old posts to know what I'm even talking about.

Now to try to enjoy my Sunday and stop obsessing over this ca-ca
My kids are ages 9 weeks, 22 months (majorly physically challenged), 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 6 yrs, and my own kids are 5 yrs and 10 yrs.

The 22 mon old just now is allowed to be approached by the older kids. That's because I can't risk em pulling out her feeding tube or knocking her over.

It's really not difficult to teach those over a certain age to leave the littles alone. Took me about a week to train this three sibling set. I don't use gates or super yards at all here.

If I had that age group, if have the younger three together and the older two together. Except for when we are in circle time of course.

Ad it's a rule here. NO SHARING GERMS DURING CIRCLE TIME LOL
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycare71 View Post
I know exactly why you feel the way you do!! You were more forgiving than I would be. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and I hope it all calms down!
Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycare71 View Post
Yes- new protocol is to allow children back in to once drainage stops. I don't allow it at my home.
However once she is on drops or even an oral antibiotic it is no longer contagious. So really she should be allowed back based on contagiousness.
If mom is doing the drops- even if it isn't the right amount it will at least prevent spreading to others.
Ik you are upset at mom and totally understand however I do think you are going a bit over board with exclusion. In my opinion it would be the same as a child having strep, starting an antibiotic, being in the antibiotic for 24 hours, feeling fine and still being excluded for the 10 day antibiotic course- it really doesn't prevent anything.
My personal suggestion is that you term if you can- based on the lieing. You don't trust this mom and it sounds like it is going down hill quickly-
exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:10 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
My kids are ages 9 weeks, 22 months (majorly physically challenged), 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 6 yrs, and my own kids are 5 yrs and 10 yrs.

The 22 mon old just now is allowed to be approached by the older kids. That's because I can't risk em pulling out her feeding tube or knocking her over.

It's really not difficult to teach those over a certain age to leave the littles alone. Took me about a week to train this three sibling set. I don't use gates or super yards at all here.
Yeah you have older kids - I dont. Mine are all little and no special needs... just some younger then others. I could see why you would need to separate in that situation.

I do keep my youngest more separate then the others... mainly because shes so itty bitty still. She sleeps & hangs out in a different room then the walkers. But there are moments where the older one will sneak and touch her hand or whatnot when the mom is picking up or something and I cant catch it in time.

I dont let my kiddos run wild and touch all over eachother in any way. I just dont make a rule to separate them at all times. I am super OCD about handwashing and my daycare is insanely clean. My parents have always been super respectful of my sick policies. This one particular mom has been a little sneaky lately and lied to me about some things... which exposed my other daycare kids to croup and now pink eye within 2 weeks So forgive me if I'm ON EDGE LOL
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Yeah you have older kids - I dont. Mine are all little and no special needs... just some younger then others. I could see why you would need to separate in that situation.

I do keep my youngest more separate then the others... mainly because shes so itty bitty still. She sleeps & hangs out in a different room then the walkers. But there are moments where the older one will sneak and touch her hand or whatnot when the mom is picking up or something and I cant catch it in time.

I dont let my kiddos run wild and touch all over eachother in any way. I just dont make a rule to separate them at all times. I am super OCD about handwashing and my daycare is insanely clean. My parents have always been super respectful of my sick policies. This one particular mom has been a little sneaky lately and lied to me about some things... which exposed my other daycare kids to croup and now pink eye within 2 weeks So forgive me if I'm ON EDGE LOL
Regardless of special needs, I've still always separated older from younger. But normally a 22 month old would be with the 2 and 3 year olds. But in this ones case, up until a month ago, I had her completely separate except for with my daughter who is 10.

The reason all under 1 are separated is because e 2 and 3's can't control their germs lol. It's easier for me to teach them NO TOUCH than it is to DONT SHARE GERMS lol.

My parents aren't always super great with my illness policy but the way I figure it is I have two kids in school and they are constantly exposed to all kinds of junk. So, in all honesty, the only at to prevent the littles from staying sick since most that age don't have great immunity is to separate.

My daughter put me through medical HELL the first five years of her life. But weirdly enough, my son never caught a thing from her, even as a baby.

I wouldn't say my house is germ free at all. Plus I have cats and dogs and pet snakes and a pet hamster and a pet rat, and two pet mice that makes food for our snakes. Whew that was a mouthful !! Lol yes I clean a lot. Yes I do a lot of germ control. Yes my kids get a cold from time to time. But I've never had ANYTHING spread to everyone. Actually, other than a minor cold, I've never had anything at all spread.

And I have a really lax illness policy compared to most.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:25 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Regardless of special needs, I've still always separated older from younger. But normally a 22 month old would be with the 2 and 3 year olds. But in this ones case, up until a month ago, I had her completely separate except for with my daughter who is 10.

The reason all under 1 are separated is because e 2 and 3's can't control their germs lol. It's easier for me to teach them NO TOUCH than it is to DONT SHARE GERMS lol.

My parents aren't always super great with my illness policy but the way I figure it is I have two kids in school and they are constantly exposed to all kinds of junk. So, in all honesty, the only at to prevent the littles from staying sick since most that age don't have great immunity is to separate.

My daughter put me through medical HELL the first five years of her life. But weirdly enough, my son never caught a thing from her, even as a baby.

I wouldn't say my house is germ free at all. Plus I have cats and dogs and pet snakes and a pet hamster and a pet rat, and two pet mice that makes food for our snakes. Whew that was a mouthful !! Lol yes I clean a lot. Yes I do a lot of germ control. Yes my kids get a cold from time to time. But I've never had ANYTHING spread to everyone. Actually, other than a minor cold, I've never had anything at all spread.

And I have a really lax illness policy compared to most.
Very interesting! Wow - thats a lot of pets! Doesn't that get stinky?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Very interesting! Wow - thats a lot of pets! Doesn't that get stinky?
Absolutely not! We have a schedule for all of the pet related cleaning. For instance, the pet rat and the mouse family are in my daughters room. They are in a divided 120 gallon huge tank. My daughter is responsible to clean their tank once a week.

The hamster is in my room and I clean it once a week also. The two pet snakes are in a tank together in my room and its spot cleaned once a week and completely cleaned out once a month . (Snakes only potty about once a week or so and it's solid).

The dogs and cats potty outside and there are NO animal accidents in my house. I have no carpet and currently no litter boxes. I had a litter box when we first rescued this baby kitten but she's now outside potty trained like the others.

I sweep and mop the entire house twice a day because we live in the woods and the older kids are always tracking in dirt and I like my floors to sparkle.

I'll put it like this. Wen a family first comes to interview, the only animal they see at first is one of our small dogs. The other animals are in different rooms. When the interview goes well, I disclose the animals. The family is always shocked and e first thing out of their mouth is always "wow and it's so clean and good smelling in here!!"

To be honest, I've been in houses where someone had ONE pet and the smell knocked me DOWN as soon as I walked into the door. One friend has one cat and a litter box she keeps sparkling. It still smells in there but it looks clean.

Lol but seriously, I could totally understand why people would think my house is stinky. And I'm not going to lie, our pet cleaning schedule is daunting!! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Wow... You do a great job keeping them clean & fresca. We've been contemplating on getting a kitty but I'm dreading the litterbox training & all the other fun kitty messes lol Cleaning up after my husband, 3 sons and daycare kids is enough for me! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Wow... You do a great job keeping them clean & fresca. We've been contemplating on getting a kitty but I'm dreading the litterbox training & all the other fun kitty messes lol Cleaning up after my husband, 3 sons and daycare kids is enough for me! Lol
Teaching them to use the litter box is easy. Training them to go outside after litter box training them is harder. And of course, teaching them as babies to stay off the table and counters is fun too lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
lovemylife's Avatar
lovemylife lovemylife is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Teaching them to use the litter box is easy. Training them to go outside after litter box training them is harder
That is amazing! We don't have any animals...except 1 Guppy I have heard of people training their cat to go in the toilet but not training an indoor cat to go outside. I bet that was hard.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylife View Post
That is amazing! We don't have any animals...except 1 Guppy I have heard of people training their cat to go in the toilet but not training an indoor cat to go outside. I bet that was hard.
The trick is to start it when they are young. For instance, kittens here start litter box training at around 3 weeks. Of earlier. Of course at that age, I don't trust them to be safe outside. But around 8 to 10 weeks old and after weaning, I start exposing them to outside. Once they can communicate their want to go out and cry to come inside, I take the letterbox to the back porch during the day. They go in and out and use it ere in the porch. Then a few weeks later, I move the litter box off the porch to the ground. Then a few weeks later, I replace the litter with dirt and move the box to the wood line where it is acceptable to potty. Then a few weeks later, I remove e litter box completely. So by 4 months or so they are completely outside potty trained. They go in and out by communicating to me they have to potty. And by that age they are old enough to hold their bowels and bladder at night as well.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:58 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

We had a cat before and we let her go outside to go potty too. It was nice to not have to use a litter box... But then one day she didn't come back home and a couple days later unfortunately we found out she got attacked by a coyote So I wont do that again. It's weird because we live in the total suburbs. Coyotes come far to get into the neighborhoods. Scary for our cats around here.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
We had a cat before and we let her go outside to go potty too. It was nice to not have to use a litter box... But then one day she didn't come back home and a couple days later unfortunately we found out she got attacked by a coyote So I wont do that again. It's weird because we live in the total suburbs. Coyotes come far to get into the neighborhoods. Scary for our cats around here.
I understand. That's e huge reason we keep all the babies in at night. We actually have a coyote family bedded so close to our house we can hear the new babies new. Not cute lol.

Actually our biggest worry for a little kitten is a hawk. Hawks here will kill anything,
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

YES! We have hawks too! One day we were sitting our living room and all of a sudden CRASH! This huge hawk smashed into our backdoor which is a window door... Thank God the glass is super thick. It knocked the hawk out for about 30 seconds... then got up and flew away. That thing was HUGE! I was kinda scared to go in the backyard after that! lol
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
YES! We have hawks too! One day we were sitting our living room and all of a sudden CRASH! This huge hawk smashed into our backdoor which is a window door... Thank God the glass is super thick. It knocked the hawk out for about 30 seconds... then got up and flew away. That thing was HUGE! I was kinda scared to go in the backyard after that! lol
I'm the same way.... Sme nights I step out back... And I hear the coyotes.... Hear the owl couple... And then a hawk... And I'm thinking RUNNNNNNNN!! Lol

When I was a child we had a German shepherd.. H was a stray but he was very protective of me. One night I went out the side door, out him out some supper scraps.... And a few minutes later looked out the window... Only to find him sharing his scraps with a danged PANTHER!! Scared e crap out of me.

After that, we saw the creature often. He never bothered us or the dog or even the small house dog. At night, when we pulled into the driveway I could see his eyes reflecting at the edge of e woods. It would scare me so bad I was afraid to get out of e car. Ad when I did I would run as fast as I could to get up e stairs to the front door. Wen I got my drivers license, I would get home at night, alone, and have to make e run all by myself!!! Every single time I would sit in the car and my heart would beat so fast!! This went on for a while, even though he never bothered us, the fear never left me.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:56 AM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Ah man! That would scare me to death! I used to have a raccoon that would do that... and that scared me! So a panther doing that?! I would probably pee my pants every day! hahaha
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,146
Default

24 hours on the meds she can come back. You do not pass it from the drops because you do not touch the eye with the bottle. My dr told me to take my childs drops when I got it. just 2 drops in each eye. Child is safe to come back Saturday afternoon as long as they finish the full course of drops.
Yeah you might lose them having to take off M T W when the normal exclusion is 24 hours from 1st dose.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
24 hours on the meds she can come back. You do not pass it from the drops because you do not touch the eye with the bottle. My dr told me to take my childs drops when I got it. just 2 drops in each eye. Child is safe to come back Saturday afternoon as long as they finish the full course of drops.
Yeah you might lose them having to take off M T W when the normal exclusion is 24 hours from 1st dose.
Actually, I was only having her stay home until Wednesday ... so staying home Monday and Tuesday only. She actually needed to after all because it actually ended up getting worse!!! The mom posted pics of her on FB tonight and they both looked awful. Their eyes were nearly swelled shut - super red. The worst mother/daughter pic I'd ever seen.

The mom said they had to go back to the dr again because it wasn't improving. So now she's keeping her home the rest of the week - per her own wanting to. The dr thinks she got it again from the mom. So I'm VERY glad I stuck to my guns and wanted her out a couple days. Also the dr said it was a really bad idea for them to share the ointment and drops...They were basically exchanging funk! SOOO I guess the myth that you cant get it again while taking meds is not 100% true... just so you all know it can get worse before it gets better and it IS super contagious. I'm just so happy she stayed home and didn't return Monday and today to expose the other kids again.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is online now
Going to eat worms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Actually, I was only having her stay home until Wednesday ... so staying home Monday and Tuesday only. She actually needed to after all because it actually ended up getting worse!!! The mom posted pics of her on FB tonight and they both looked awful. Their eyes were nearly swelled shut - super red. The worst mother/daughter pic I'd ever seen.

The mom said they had to go back to the dr again because it wasn't improving. So now she's keeping her home the rest of the week - per her own wanting to. The dr thinks she got it again from the mom. So I'm VERY glad I stuck to my guns and wanted her out a couple days. Also the dr said it was a really bad idea for them to share the ointment and drops...They were basically exchanging funk! SOOO I guess the myth that you cant get it again while taking meds is not 100% true... just so you all know it can get worse before it gets better and it IS super contagious. I'm just so happy she stayed home and didn't return Monday and today to expose the other kids again.
OR the child actually has viral pink eye instead of bacterial that would make sense also.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 664
Default

Yeah possibly... I somewhat question this DCM & what she tells me the dr says. She said the dr told her it was determined bacterial... but brother was diagnosed having viral... so who knows. Maybe she has both! lol - I dont even know anymore!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pink eye

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pink?! UPDATE Blackcat31 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 50 07-07-2013 11:13 AM
Getting really tired of PINK...vent Laurel Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 05-04-2013 07:41 PM
Pink Eye Policy happykidschildcare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 02-09-2011 05:21 PM
Pink Eye Question DCMomOf3 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 01-11-2011 03:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming