Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Being Lazy By Not Allowing This?
2 young 2 feel this old 09:16 AM 04-08-2014
This morning dad of SA DCB hands me a can of hairspray and a comb- " These are to stay here so that HE can do his hair before school"
I have had this child in care for 5 years- 2 of those being school years - and we have never fixed his hair.
I asked DCB if there was something special going on at school today - There is not, he said "mommy wants me to start fixing my hair for school."
He CAN fix his own hair and there is time in the morning to do so BUT my family uses ONE bathroom for all hair sprays and the like because I hate cleaning it off of the walls, counters and floors. The bathroom we use is in a part of the house that is off-limits to daycare so it is not practical to send him there and I do not want to add another room of walls counters and floors to scrub sticky hairspray off of. Not to mention I have to store it and remember to give it to him in the morning.
I do wash the counters and floors daily and walls as needed in the bathroom he would use because it is the bathroom used by 5 little boys but can't this be done at home before you come to daycare?
Am I just being lazy not wanting this to happen at my house?
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 04-08-2014
I'd hand the comb and hair spray back to dad and say

"Then he should get ready at HIS home. My bathroom is available before school so that MY children can use it to get ready for school"

There is NO reason this child can't get 100% ready at home BEFORE being dropped at your house.

This would fall under a parent responsibility.

If the dad protests, tell him you'll do it for $19.95. That is the going rate for a barber/hair stylist around here.
mia 09:22 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"Then he should get ready at HIS home. My bathroom is available before school so that MY children can use it to get ready for school"

There is NO reason this child can't get 100% ready at home BEFORE being dropped at your house.

If the dad protests, tell him you'll do it for $19.95. That is the going rate for a barber/hair stylist around here.

Cradle2crayons 09:26 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"before school children need to arrive ready to go to school. This includes teeth brushing, hair fixing, etc" said while handing supplies back to parent. Followed by
Unregistered 09:57 AM 04-08-2014
We are not allowed to have hair spray (or deodorants, perfumes, etc.)available where children can reach them.
It would have to be locked up until he used it, supervised while he used it, and locked up again afterwards.
Not worth doing all that. I would explain to parent that it is not reasonable to do this here and it needs to be done at home. A comb is fine, hairspray is not.
daycarediva 10:01 AM 04-08-2014
No. Kids need to come dressed and ready for school. That includes hair. HE can do his hair AT HOME.
Crazy8 10:04 AM 04-08-2014
no way, no how. My downstairs bathroom is just a pedestal sink and mirror, no place to store that crap and hairspray leaves an icky film on the sink/walls, etc. I would send the items home with him tomorrow and tell them you are sorry but children need to arrive to your daycare ready for their day, that includes doing their hair at home. If pressed I would list all the reasons everyone has mentioned.
Laurel 10:16 AM 04-08-2014
l would just say "Sorry, I don't allow hairspray because it gets messy or other children might accidently get sprayed." If he says "Oh, he isn't messy with it", I'd say "Well I don't allow it." Repeat last part as many times as necessary.

Laurel

I once had a school aged girl cut her hair in my bathroom. Just bangs but still. She actually did a pretty good job though, lol.
jenboo 10:21 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are not allowed to have hair spray (or deodorants, perfumes, etc.)available where children can reach them.
It would have to be locked up until he used it, supervised while he used it, and locked up again afterwards.
Not worth doing all that. I would explain to parent that it is not reasonable to do this here and it needs to be done at home. A comb is fine, hairspray is not.
I cant have any products out where the kids can reach them.
And in no way would i allow a child to use hair spray in my bathroom. I hate the mess it leaves behind!
Childminder 10:22 AM 04-08-2014
Wouldn't bother me a bit especially since it is a boy. Easy peasy. I have up to five girls that arrive before 6 and don't leave till almost 9 and can't expect them to be ready for school. Heck, some go back to bed for a couple hours and get bed head. Most(4) need help with long hair we just help each other get it done. We don't use hairspray though so it's not an issue.

Maybe ask that he comes with mousse or gel in his hair and then reactivate it with water and a comb?
Unregistered 10:29 AM 04-08-2014
Yup, the comb is fine but the hairspray stays at home. He doesn't need hairspray to comb his hair for school. Geez
sahm1225 10:29 AM 04-08-2014
I have preschoolers that attend school in the afternoon so I always do their hair (mostly fix the ponytail or wet it so it's not sticking up). I wouldn't do hairspray though. It wouldn't bother me if they brought gel or mousse, but it would bother me that they TOLD you instead of asked.

I would blame it on licensing and how things can't be accessible to children so it can't be in the daycare bathroom
TickleMonster 11:09 AM 04-08-2014
I guess you don't have to do his hair or let him do it but I don't see the issue with it. Its nice that a comb and hairspray was provided for your house. I do all of my dck hair each day after nap and most of them are girls so its a lot of ponytails and cute braids and I never get provided with hairspray or ponytail holders or clips. We buy them for each kid. I don't usually use hairspray but I have in the past on kids whose parents have okayed it. I just don't like kids going home looking a hot mess. In the mornings I always make sure my 2 boys hair is done before school and I certainly wouldn't want them to go to school without their hair done if someone else was watching them. Just think of how you want your kids to look when going anywhere.
Lucy 11:12 AM 04-08-2014
I wouldn't have a problem with leaving the brush/comb or whatever. But NOT the hairspray. I'd send the hairspray back home and say that he's welcome to comb his hair in front of the mirror when he goes potty before school, but he has to be quick since he's using a shared bathroom.

Give just a quick, few word "explanation", if you can even call it that, and then either divert your attention to another kid, walk away or move on to the next subject. That will tell them the discussion is over. If they press and ask why, just give a little shrug and say, "that's what I'm comfortable with", and divert attention again.

Just a thought: You could even blame it on licensing restrictions and say that hairspray is a prohibited item for kids to get a hold of during daycare hours. I'm pretty sure it's something I have to keep behind a child-proof latch in my bathroom.
My3cents 11:13 AM 04-08-2014
lazy- no

the parent is being lazy by not helping the child at home to do this-
2 young 2 feel this old 02:57 PM 04-08-2014
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am usually easy going about things kids coming in pajamas and even coming in asleep but the hair thing just bothered me. The comb can stay but I will be giving back the hairspray. If it is important to them it can be done before they get here.
Denise 05:45 PM 04-08-2014
Never, ever heard of a little boy using hairspray in his hair. Ever. That would be considered weird here and extremely effeminate. I'd just say you don't allow any of the children to use aerosol products, which btw are flameable and "huff-able".
NightOwl 06:20 PM 04-08-2014
In alabama, that's considered a toxic substance and would not be allowed within children's reach. So he!! no!
choirlady76 08:47 PM 04-08-2014
I would give it back and explain that he needs to come prepared for school. At my center, we are not permitted to spray things such as hair spray, air freshener etc. due to possible issues such as asthma.
debbiedoeszip 05:04 AM 04-09-2014
<<<This morning dad of SA DCB hands me a can of hairspray and a comb- " These are to stay here so that HE can do his hair before school">>>

"I'm sorry but that doesn't work for me. All school-aged children need to arrive at daycare ready for school."
Unregistered 06:45 AM 04-09-2014
Originally Posted by Denise:
Never, ever heard of a little boy using hairspray in his hair. Ever. That would be considered weird here and extremely effeminate. I'd just say you don't allow any of the children to use aerosol products, which btw are flameable and "huff-able".
We use hairspray as a lice deterrent at school. Lice don't like hair with hairspray or product in them.
MarinaVanessa 07:16 AM 04-09-2014
I blame everything on licensing.

"Sorry DCD. I have to keep all chemicals locked up and away from DCKs so I can't let him use the hairspray in my home. The hairspray fumes are really strong too that really I wouldn't be able to let him use it in my DC bathroom so that the rest of the kids don't breath it in. One of the kids is asthmatic. I'm sure he can do his hair at home before he gets here. "
renodeb 06:24 AM 04-10-2014
I couldnt imagine a dc parent presenting me with a bottle of hair spray. Just tell them that your not allowed to have things like hairspray where the kids can reach.
Reply Up