Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Kind Of Lotion To You Use? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45208)

Country Kids 04-30-2012 08:40 AM

What Kind Of Lotion To You Use?

We have dramatically stepped up the handwashing thing, not that we weren't doing it before but I'm trying to be very consious of doing it even more. I plan on me/my family/daycare being 100% illness free from now on. If this doesn't help I don't know what will!

Anyway, anytime I wash my hands now, they instantly turn red and burn! Even washing dishes at night is becoming torture because they hurt so bad. I keep a bottle of lotion right by desk but it even hurts to put on.

Just wondering what kind every one uses. When I go to the store next I want to pick some up but hopefully it will work.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen and her doctor actually told her to quit washing her hands so much. Told her to not even wash her hands ever time she went to the bathroom because it wasn't needed!

Hand santitizer didn't even do this to my hands when I used to use that alot and you think it would because of all the alcohol in it!

godiva83 04-30-2012 08:43 AM

My hands ecspecially in winter months can get awfully chapped awfully fast with all the hand washing, you washing, dishes ect.

I use Aveeno daily hand lotion, glycomed - in the white and green container,
At night time before bed I use olive oil sometimes too

Oh and my favorite is 'Hope' by philosophy

Meeko 04-30-2012 09:04 AM

Gold Bond Ultimate Healing.

I have tried everything else and this stuff is pure magic.

Kiki 04-30-2012 09:06 AM

Gold Bond is good, so is the new Carmex lotion, they have a repairing lotion, and a daily use lotion. The only downside to the Carmex one is that it smells just like the lip balm, so it seems like you are putting lip balm all over yourself instead of lotion haha.

sharlan 04-30-2012 09:40 AM

Gold Bond ultra healing

VTMom 04-30-2012 09:50 AM

I use Lubriderm advanced therapy "deeply hydrates extra-dry skin". It's white with rose colored writing. I find this works pretty good during the day after washing and it doesn't leave me hands greasy. I save the super heavy lotion (burts bees hand repair) for night.

Ariana 04-30-2012 10:06 AM

Sounds to me like you might want to use less harsh chemicals on your hands for both cleaning and moisturizing. A natural hand lotion might help. Method is a great line. I also use natural moisturizer, either Live Clean (Walmart) or Jergens Naturals (Walmart and drug stores).

A lot of times regular mositurizers have harsh chemicals in them that irritate the skin and if you're sensitive it makes things worse not better. I would also strongly suggest using gloves when doing any sort of cleaning around the house and when doing the dishes. The other day I was doing laundry and accidentally spilled bleach on my finger tip and it burned for the rest of the day :(

Breezy 04-30-2012 10:15 AM

I use St Ives!!

Oneluckymom 04-30-2012 10:29 AM

I swear by Aveeno, use it after EVERY hand wash and in between too. Good luck !! I like it because it's non greasy. I use their original version.

Kaddidle Care 04-30-2012 12:57 PM

Make sure your hand soap isn't the antibacterial type. (that literally shreds my hands)

I just started using the Gold Bond lotion because so many said it was great. Also have used the Aveeno.

Use one set of gloves for bleaching tables and dishes, another set of gloves for cleaning. Trust me, they will save your hands.

If you put the lotion on before you use the gloves for washing dishes it's like a spa treatment! happyface:D

Do try different sample sizes of lotion. My Dad has very dry skin and found out that he's allergic to lanolin. (It's in almost every hand lotion!)

Country Kids 04-30-2012 01:00 PM

The cleaners don't bother my hands one bit. Its just when I wash my hands and do the dishes. My hands never were bothered washing dishes till last week and they are just beet red when I'm done. I cringe now when I have to wash my hands.

Its the same soap/dish soap that we have always used. The only thing different is that I've stepped up the handwashing and maybe its seriously to much for my hands.

Not sure but I know I need to find something to help.

laundrymom 04-30-2012 08:10 PM

I put potion on after every wash and any other time I think of it. I use bath and body.

Kaddidle Care 05-01-2012 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I put potion on after every wash and any other time I think of it. I use bath and body.

Now you're sounding like one of my Harry Potter friends. :ouch:

(I know.. it's a typo but I love it!) happyface

We could all use a bit of essence of murtlap from time to time for our hands.

SunnyDay 05-01-2012 04:57 AM

For my son who gets really red & dry skin I use Eucerin Creme. I use it for myself when my hands start getting the way you described. It comes in a tub and is really thick. It might not be convenient to use all the time, but even a few times a day should really help.