View Single Post
littlemissmuffet 08:42 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But I do support coming to a totally agreed upon arrangement prior to accepting care.

I know a lot of providers charge every week of the year and close, but usually they do make this very clear up front. In a lot of states right now, any family seeking assistance is required to place their children in care - one in four American children are in this situation. The additional charges come out of the small amount of assistance those families receive, including overages - or charges that are more than the state average charge. I could not afford to have my child in a home daycare on childcare assistance. I think that option is for large families who have a provider who needs the money but would be caring for their children anyway and for rich families who want socialization or are home days and want their kids to have a place to go. I think it is pretty clear that a lot of providers here do do this job as a way of being able to provide care for their own children. It is also true that this is a pretty small, tightly knit group and does not represent a vast majority of providers.

If the vacation charge is not discussed and you do not have a signed contract that spells it out, you do not have to pay - but - be prepared to find a new provider if you balk at any charge.
Most centers close on stat holidays... even when alot of parents (retail!) work on stats, and the parents still pay. You are paying for a space - not time!

You say you couldn't afford to have your child in a home daycare on childcare assistnace. Fine, go to a center then. It's unfair for providers to have to drop their prices or go without pay during hard earned days off because of a portion of people who can't afford the care. I'm not trying to be rude, but that's not my problem. MY bills, MY rent, MY income is MY problem - I chose childcare as a way to make an income - and I love my job, but I'm certainly not giving my valuable services away, nor am I giving away my right to run my business how I choose. Again, their are countless centers from people like you to choose from that don't think in home providers deserve paid time off.

For the record, I don't have any children of my own. Yet, I still own and operate a home daycare. I don't "do this" so I can stay home/stay home with my own kids (though I don't think there is anything wrong with those who do), and none of my parents are rich. They're all middle class folk who all work hard for their cash, just like me.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.