View Single Post
littlemissmuffet 01:36 PM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A friend of mine has 3 kids in day care, the provider has 3 weeks paid vacation, 11 paid holidays and like 7 sick/personal days, all paid! I'm a SAHM and honestly I think that is ridiculous!
Plus, her daycare increased the rate 30% (and she got the list of the days the provider will close for summer vacation, july&august, each time 1 week). My friend came to me crying bc she will be broke! That means MDF has to pay daycare and pay somebody else for her 3 kids! So she'll pay almost $500/week(!) for daycare alone.
Btw, not to many people can afford a family vacation, MDF with her 3 girls spends her vaca days at home. I don't see to many families going on vacation in my neighborhood and most of these families do have a pretty good income (that's for the comment: not paying rent or mortgage, if you go on vacation).
My paid days off average about 25/year. That is the norm for home daycares in my area. And we eran each and every one of those days

If your friend had 3 children enrolled in my daycare, she would be paying close to $500/week as well - that's BEFORE the additional money she would be paying to an alternate during my days off (although, in all my years of doing home daycare, all of my families have taken their vacation time from work, when I choose my days off each January. It's pretty simple, really). So I think her daycare is actually pretty cheap, at least where I live.

You're right that not too many people can afford a family vacation. I know alot of the providers on here can't. I can't. I stay home when I close the daycare for vacation. So what? I deserve a break from my job just like anyone else... perhaps moreso - childcare is very demanding, difficult and often thankless work (albeit, very rewarding) that not too many people are cut out to do... well.

You have to remember that parents aren't paying for TIME, they are paying for a space...

If your friend doesn't like it, she can forfeit all the dvantages of home family care and go for a center, then she doesn't have to worry or cry any more.