Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Kids Do You Care For At Once And What Ages?
Crazy Baby 02:26 PM 10-28-2015
Today I had 5 toddlers at once. One just turned 3, two are 2.5 yrs, a 2 year old, and a 22 month old. It was crazy. Nap time was nearly nonexistent and I couldn't get them to actually focus on any activities. I honestly do not think I could do that everyday. Am I just a huge wuss?

How many kids do you have on a regular basis and how old are they? How do you do it?

My husband is pressuring me to get more kids, but I am nervous!
LysesKids 03:28 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Today I had 5 toddlers at once. One just turned 3, two are 2.5 yrs, a 2 year old, and a 22 month old. It was crazy. Nap time was nearly nonexistent and I couldn't get them to actually focus on any activities. I honestly do not think I could do that everyday. Am I just a huge wuss?

How many kids do you have on a regular basis and how old are they? How do you do it?

First off it depends on state & ratios/ages that are allowed before you can consider adding more kids... here in TN regardless of being Licensed or License exempt, I am limited to 4 kids because they are all 24 months or younger. In Indiana I had 6 under 3 years as a registered home & in AR I had 5 under 24 months (I know crazy, but legal). I learned that I can handle 5 or 6 littles over the years, but 4 is my sweet number if all the kids are FT.
Blackcat31 04:53 PM 10-28-2015
I have 12.

3 months
9 months
18 months
3-two yr olds
3-three yr olds
2-four yr olds
2-five yr olds

One of the 5 yr olds fills the empty spaces during the week.

DH is usually around from 11-2ish daily/as needed.
daycare 04:53 PM 10-28-2015
I have 14

I have myself and an assistant all day long.
Snowmom 05:47 PM 10-28-2015
I have 11.

1- 16 month old
1- 20 month old
3- 2.5 yr old
3- 3 yr old
2- 4 yr old
1- 5 yr old

Plus my own school ager.

I find my days SO much easier when I'm full, or at have at least 6 kids.
I prefer older toddler and young preschoolers. The 4 & 5 year olds are the biggest challenge to my day.
spedmommy4 05:58 PM 10-28-2015
I am allowed 14, but I self cap at 12. My house is not all that large and is starts feeling claustrophobic at 12.

My ages and numbers change daily because I have so many kids with odd part time schedules. Today was my high day and this morning we had:
Six kids ages 9 months- 2.5 years old
Six kids from 3-4 years old.

I have two rooms dedicated to my childcare space and the five youngest go with my assistant. The seven oldest (2.5-4) stay with me for preschool activities. I don't spend a ton of time in the toddler room but I do feel like that room is way more stressful. One and two year-olds are much more likely to just wail when they are upset so there is a lot more fussing in that room.

If you are on your own I would try to enroll at least a few self sufficient kids in the group. (3-4 year-olds) Babies and toddlers are a challenging group.
Controlled Chaos 07:43 PM 10-28-2015
1 - 4 month old
1 - 10 month old
2 - 2 year olds
3 - 3 year olds
1 - 4 year old
1 - 5 year old (half days when she gets back from kindy)

So 9 kiddos including my kindergartner. Everyone naps 1-3 except the 4 year old. It goes pretty smoothly most days. I prefer having all kids be 15m and older but alas, everyone keeps making new babies I think it is a matter of practice, routine, clear boundaries and good structure to your day. I would figure out what the trigger are for your stress. What behaviors are a problem, how can you eliminate them or avoid them. Then, I might consider adding more children. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Though I do find groups of 6-9 children much easier to manage than 4-5. But the good classroom management has to be in place first.
Josiegirl 02:58 AM 10-29-2015
I need to find a training on classroom management, that's where I lack skills.
Those of you with over 6-8 dcks or so, do you all have assistants? The only time I have 10 dcks is during the summer and 2 of them were like mommy's helpers, they were great! Sadly they're aging out so I'm thinking of cutting back some of the SA kids that come. It's so difficult mixing the littles with big kids.
I had 3 dcgs yesterday and I kept thinking all day long how perfect it was; just wish I could afford keeping that number.
M-T-Th-Fr I have 6 dcks, 2 1 yos, 2 2yos, and 2 3yos. Wed. I have 3, 1 2 yo, and 2 3yo.
The challenges I'm going through at the moment !) aggressiveness of toddlers and 2) all the potty training going on. I'm okay if it's mostly successful but when there's 1 that jumps on/jumps off then it's a hassle.
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 10-29-2015
As far as your dh pressuring you, maybe he could take a day off work and be your assistant for 1 day. He might change his mind. You don't need to burn out from stretching yourself too thin. Do what you feel comfortable doing.
NillaWafers 07:07 AM 10-29-2015
You guys make me feel like a wuss. I have three, - 2 year olds and a 4 year old. I have my own children (5 and 3), and am pregnant with my 3rd, due in Jan.
spedmommy4 07:17 AM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Those of you with over 6-8 dcks or so, do you all have assistants? The only time I have 10 dcks is during the summer and 2 of them were like mommy's helpers, they were great! Sadly they're aging out so I'm thinking of cutting back some of the SA kids that come. It's so difficult mixing the littles with big kids.
I had 3 dcgs yesterday and I kept thinking all day long how perfect it was; just wish I could afford keeping that number.
M-T-Th-Fr I have 6 dcks, 2 1 yos, 2 2yos, and 2 3yos. Wed. I have 3, 1 2 yo, and 2 3yo.
The challenges I'm going through at the moment !) aggressiveness of toddlers and 2) all the potty training going on. I'm okay if it's mostly successful but when there's 1 that jumps on/jumps off then it's a hassle.
I recommend this site for learning about early childhood behaviors via webinars.
http://home.edweb.net/professional-l...free-webinars/

I just watched one that I plan to share with my staff. It's called "what to do when nothing else works." It was in the classroom management for early learning community under archived webinars. The first five minutes was a little sad/scary but he used the case to make a point about how you just can't ignore aggressive early childhood behaviors, or dismiss them as a "phase."
childcaremom 07:17 AM 10-29-2015
As far as your dh pressuring you, maybe he could take a day off work and be your assistant for 1 day. He might change his mind. You don't need to burn out from stretching yourself too thin. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

ETA: I can have one more but right now have 4. It is just me. It is just me and a really really good routine for my group.

3 under 2
1 3 yo
My SA, who counts in my #s
MsLisa 07:18 AM 10-29-2015
Just me and my assistant, with once/twice a week our "gym guy" comes in for gym time. Last year was a big mix with only 1 kinder. This year is the year of the third graders and kinders.

Morning: (About 6-13 kids; ages 5yrs - 11yrs)
2 kinders
1 first graders
2 second graders
5 third graders
2 forth graders
1 sixth grader

Afternoon: (About 10-16 kids; ages 5yrs - 11yrs)
4 kinders
1 first grader
1 second grader
8 third graders
1 forth grader
1 sixth grader
Snowmom 08:05 AM 10-29-2015
It's only me, no assistant (11 kids). By nature, I'm an obsessively organized person and our routine is very, very consistent.
I personally do not prefer infants or older (SA) kids (besides my own). I do agree that mixing ages can be tough. The one drawback to keeping littles only is that I currently have 5 in diapers and 1 actively potty training. So, I do dread diaper changes!
Annalee 09:26 AM 10-29-2015
Licensing allows 1 tp 7 ratio ages 6 weeks to 5 years. An assistant is needed for over 7 and then the number is 2 to 12. If all children are over age 3 then the ration is 1 to 12. I work with 12 kids every day with my assistant.
daycarediva 09:39 AM 10-29-2015
Licensing allows 6 non school age, 2 school age. With 2 of those littles being under 2. I am maxed daily.

I have 3am sa kids from 7:30-8:15, then my regular crew arrives:

1-19mo
1-23mo
4-3yo's
1-4yo

^ a mix of 6 of those daily.

2 after school kids from 3:30-5, ages depend on the day.

My advice is to structure your day. A set/roughed in time for meals and outside is a good place to start.

Eg.
8:00-8:30 breakfast
8:30-9:00 clean up/potty/diapers
9:00-9:30 story time/circle time
9:30-10:00 music/movement
10:00-10:30 diapers/potty
10:30-11:30 outside free play
11:30 inside/wash up
12:00-12:30 lunch
12:30-1:00 diapers/potty
1:00-3:00 rest time
3:00-3:30 diapers/potty
3:30-4:00 PM snack
4:00-pickup free play outside

the regular potty breaks will stop you from going back and forth to the bathroom all.day.long. The kids will start to understand the flow of the day and transitions will be smooth. Outside time keeps kids busy/happy and keeps your sanity.

Hope that helps! It really boils down to planning ahead and staying on schedule. Most of my meals are already premade, quickly reheated and plated-5m prep.
LysesKids 10:04 AM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Licensing allows 1 tp 7 ratio ages 6 weeks to 5 years. An assistant is needed for over 7 and then the number is 2 to 12. If all children are over age 3 then the ration is 1 to 12. I work with 12 kids every day with my assistant.
Yeah all 3 of my kids are grown & gone now, but I had 6 under 2.5 in IN (10 years ago) and my 2 dd's ... my children earned $$ by helping me with the kids cause they were over 13 yrs old at the time

Now I have 6 on the roster with 4 at anytime; today I have 21 month, an 8 month, 6 month & 4 month lol - I like my quiet time when they all go home
racemom 11:51 AM 10-29-2015
I work in a toddler room of a center. Our ratio is 6 to 1. So I have a 19 month old, a 20 month old, a 21 month old. And 3 newly 2 year olds. Routine is definitely needed. Also, changing what you are doing constantly is important. There attention span is very limited. I do an activity daily with them, but it has to be short and something they can do. Lots of singing, same songs over and over and over. The more I work with them the easier it is, because they know what to expect.
Crazy Baby 12:05 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Licensing allows 6 non school age, 2 school age. With 2 of those littles being under 2. I am maxed daily.

I have 3am sa kids from 7:30-8:15, then my regular crew arrives:

1-19mo
1-23mo
4-3yo's
1-4yo

^ a mix of 6 of those daily.

2 after school kids from 3:30-5, ages depend on the day.

My advice is to structure your day. A set/roughed in time for meals and outside is a good place to start.

Eg.
8:00-8:30 breakfast
8:30-9:00 clean up/potty/diapers
9:00-9:30 story time/circle time
9:30-10:00 music/movement
10:00-10:30 diapers/potty
10:30-11:30 outside free play
11:30 inside/wash up
12:00-12:30 lunch
12:30-1:00 diapers/potty
1:00-3:00 rest time
3:00-3:30 diapers/potty
3:30-4:00 PM snack
4:00-pickup free play outside

the regular potty breaks will stop you from going back and forth to the bathroom all.day.long. The kids will start to understand the flow of the day and transitions will be smooth. Outside time keeps kids busy/happy and keeps your sanity.

Hope that helps! It really boils down to planning ahead and staying on schedule. Most of my meals are already premade, quickly reheated and plated-5m prep.
I have somewhat of a similar schedule going. I guess the biggest hurdle for me is having a couple of parents who are NEVER on time. Because I have such a small group, they feel a huge benefit of bringing their kids to me is that I can be more flexible. Really, it makes my days more of a challenge though and drives me absolutely crazy. I can't afford to term people for this behavior. Very frustrating!
Controlled Chaos 12:22 PM 10-29-2015
I have somewhat of a similar schedule going. I guess the biggest hurdle for me is having a couple of parents who are NEVER on time. Because I have such a small group, they feel a huge benefit of bringing their kids to me is that I can be more flexible. Really, it makes my days more of a challenge though and drives me absolutely crazy. I can't afford to term people for this behavior. Very frustrating!
When I first started out I had this problem. I watched 5 kids total and 2 were mine. Drops offs were all over the place. It drove me nuts but these families were golden in every other way. I finally said "I love giving you the flexibility to drop off when is best for you, but I really hate when Lilly misses a painting project because I didn't know when you would be here, or I don't make enough snack because you normally aren't here that early, or we couldn't go on a walk because I didn't want to miss you, or I am changing diapers and can't give her a proper good morning hug. It makes my day chaotic. Please text me when you are on your way/or the night before/or 30 min before you will arrive (whatever you want) so that I can plan my day.
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:00 PM 10-29-2015
I'm confused why a small group means they can drop off whenever. If they have to be at work at x time, I'd think their drop off time would be more consistent. All of mine drop off at about the same time each day although it can vary by a few minutes. For example, 6 am dcg gets here between 6:00 and 6:10 (and I don't like it to vary by 10 minutes since she's my first one, and some days only one, and I could have slept 10 minutes longer ), and my 7:45 dcg arrives between 7:50 and 8:00 am. Is there a reason these parents can't have a specific drop off time? If I didn't know what time to expect the children to arrive, I'd never know what time I had to get up in the morning, when we could go for a walk or to the playground, when they best time is to run for the bathroom as quickly as possible... (yes, I schedule my bathroom breaks around drop off/pick up because I sure wouldn't want a parent to show up while I'm in the bathroom ).

Right now I have 5 on the roster (3 drop ins and 2 part timers), so some days I only have one and some days there's a possibility of having five). I'm legally only allowed five at one time. Oh, and the ages are 22 months, 23 months, two 3 year olds, and a 7 year old.
Crazy Baby 01:48 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I'm confused why a small group means they can drop off whenever. If they have to be at work at x time, I'd think their drop off time would be more consistent. All of mine drop off at about the same time each day although it can vary by a few minutes. For example, 6 am dcg gets here between 6:00 and 6:10 (and I don't like it to vary by 10 minutes since she's my first one, and some days only one, and I could have slept 10 minutes longer ), and my 7:45 dcg arrives between 7:50 and 8:00 am. Is there a reason these parents can't have a specific drop off time? If I didn't know what time to expect the children to arrive, I'd never know what time I had to get up in the morning, when we could go for a walk or to the playground, when they best time is to run for the bathroom as quickly as possible... (yes, I schedule my bathroom breaks around drop off/pick up because I sure wouldn't want a parent to show up while I'm in the bathroom ).

Right now I have 5 on the roster (3 drop ins and 2 part timers), so some days I only have one and some days there's a possibility of having five). I'm legally only allowed five at one time. Oh, and the ages are 22 months, 23 months, two 3 year olds, and a 7 year old.
We do have contracted drop off times. It just seems like the parents have a problem getting their stuff in order to be on time. Every single day they are 15-45 minutes late. I have mentioned it several times but they are just disabled in that way I suppose.

Oh and I forgot to mention that they live 4 houses down from me! I often wonder how they used to make it to their previous daycare on time. That one was clear across town!
Nisaryn 02:12 PM 10-29-2015
We do have contracted drop off times. It just seems like the parents have a problem getting their stuff in order to be on time. Every single day they are 15-45 minutes late. I have mentioned it several times but they are just disabled in that way I suppose.

Oh and I forgot to mention that they live 4 houses down from me! I often wonder how they used to make it to their previous daycare on time. That one was clear across town!
THAT is your issue right there, they probably feel that since they live so close it's perfectly fine to wait till the last minute to leave the house, check the mail, walk to dog, whatever....before coming to get their kid. They were probably on time to their previous provider but then didn't have the time to do all that extra stuff!
Crazy Baby 02:44 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
THAT is your issue right there, they probably feel that since they live so close it's perfectly fine to wait till the last minute to leave the house, check the mail, walk to dog, whatever....before coming to get their kid. They were probably on time to their previous provider but then didn't have the time to do all that extra stuff!
Actually the issue isn't being late for pick up, it is being late for dropping off every single morning.

I was new at doing daycare when I signed them on. I will try to avoid doing business with friends and neighbors in the future. They tend to take more advantage and it is harder to tell them no.
auntymimi 02:56 PM 10-29-2015
I'm only allowed 6 and my own count. I'm full so I currently have 14mo, two 2 1/2, 4,5, 10 4-6 days a week. When I'm not working it's not unusual for me to have 8 as I like to have my nieces and nephews over to play with their cousins. They are 18mos,almost3, 3, 5,10,11 and my own 2 are 2 1/2 and 5. I think a bigger group is sometimes easier, but that's just me.
spud912 03:12 PM 10-29-2015
I would say what you are capable of depends a lot on the ages of the children and their personalities. I've had some kids who would keep me busy, even if it is just them in my care. If they are older and better behaved, I can manage perfectly fine with a lot more children in my care.

It seems like in your case, you have a lot under the age of 3 and the parents are not on the same page. I would start with getting the parents in line and then if it still feels overwhelming, replace 1-2 of your younger children with someone older.
auntymimi 03:26 PM 10-29-2015
Are these kids all new to you? I think I saw where you were a new provider? I remember when I first started I was full almost immediately, as there is a great need for providers in my area. It was crazy! I remember thinking I was in way over my head. Transitioning 6 small kids at once is no joke. I would wait a couple months to settle everyone in and maybe just add 1-2 at a time. You'll find your groove. You got this.:
kendallina 05:12 PM 10-29-2015
6 kids. All 3-4 year olds.
ColorfulSunburst 07:12 PM 10-29-2015
Everyday I have 12
3 - 13 m.o. 7am - 4 pm
3 - 2+y.o. 8am-5pm
6 - 3+ y.o. 7am- 6 or 7pm
ColorfulSunburst 07:17 PM 10-29-2015
Let him be alone with your group of kids for a day. It should help
Nisaryn 08:54 PM 10-29-2015
Amount of kids you can have depends on your license, so you would have to look into it before you could take more kids. As for me, I chose to do infants only because of my sons age. I can have up to 4 all under 2 years. My oldest is 16 months and my youngest just turned 7 months. If I want more kids I would need to terminate one or more and then I would be able to have 3 infants and 3 toddlers or I could do 2 infants, 3 toddlers, 1 K and 1 SA...but I most likely will never do that....I admire those of you that can handle SA kids!!!They scare me!
MarinaVanessa 09:15 AM 10-30-2015
I'm going on almost 7 months prego right now so I only have 2 clients plus my own kids.

Clients
- 2mo FT boy
- 3yo PT boy 3 days a week

My own kids
- 4yo DS
- 2yo DS
- 10yo DD

This pregnancy is #4 and has really done a number on me so I'm keeping it low numbers for now until after my baby is born.
littletots 10:12 AM 10-30-2015
My license is 6. 18m, 20m, 2y3m, 4y, 5y & 6y. My 8y can come over anytime after school hw done. Personal children over 8y doesn't count in ratio.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:34 AM 10-30-2015
In Ohio. I can have 6 kids, 3 can be under 2.

I have varying schedules.
2 yr old is here every day.
7 month old no Fridays
6 month old 3-4 days a week it varies (hospital)
3 yr old 4 days a week off day varies (dad does shift work)
5 yr old kindergartner . wow he will be 6 on Monday. Before school every day some days after
8 week old and 3 yr old are here Tuesday/Wed (These are #3 and #4I have had kids of theirs now for 6 years. It use to be Tues/Thursday but she switched schools, music teacher) it is kind of a pain but I love the family and it always seems to work out. I will loose the 3 almost 4yr old to preschool next year so just one awkward spot. But she drops of after SA leaves and picks up before he gets back.
Then I have two one yr olds that are occasional drop offs usually a couple of times a month obviously not on Tues/Wed!
So like today... I just had 2 yo and 3 yo girls. Fun, relaxing day. Last Tuesday was full with 3 babies here! I like the variety to my schedule. oh and right now everyone is picked up by 5! I don't think I will go back to later closing time!! When my husband went back to college.. like 10 yrs ago now. I had 6 kids full time and it was chaos. It was everything I could do to homeschool my 2 and take care of the kids. But, we did it.

Advice- I only plan one "extra" thing for the day. Today scooping the insides of pumpkins, yesterday was the kinetic sand in the bin, day before was painting. I have learned that I don't have to do it all. There were lots of things we didn't get to this Halloween. I will do them next year, or not. Now, I do regularly change out toys and add "stuff" to the playroom. We do a lot more playing independently now than when I first started and thought I had to do circle time, and a letter, etc. Some days we just sit with a stack of books.. If an opportunity arises for something else, I take it (a break in the weather and a chance to play in the leaves). I try to be outside every day!(even if it is just for a walk or playing on the patio- babies change things) Teach them to play. They have the best conversations! Listen, feed their interests but don't play for them. Let them discover and learn. My house is always a work in progress. What is working today may not next week. I had to put up the baby cage this week because 7 month old learned to army crawl and she is godzilla to building block children. We learn, we adapt. I am constantly taking out and putting away things- today, no babies so no baby area in playroom. I am currently contemplating if we could nap elsewhere instead of in the playroom so that we could leave an under construction site out for my builders. I am working on logistics of that because right now littles are only in the back part of my house.. babies nap in dining room/ living room. Anyway I digress... Toddlers, I would work on teaching them to play and loving naptime!
BabyMonkeys 05:53 PM 10-30-2015
I'm in Florida and I can have 6 as long as no more than 3 are younger than 12m; or 4 if they are all under 12m.

I have two 22m boys and a 16m boy. I have had all of them since birth. I keep my numbers tiny by choice. Unless one of the families has another baby, I am full! I majorly lucked out in that all of my families are amazing!

I don't know that I could handle larger numbers like most of you ladies handle! I have been a sahm with my own kids for the last 17 years, so out budget has always been dependent on my husband's income alone. He is just thrilled that I have an income! He knows that if I were to add more it would most likely overwhelm me and I would quit! By keeping my numbers so low I can charge quite a bit more too, so that doesn't hurt!
Febby 06:34 PM 10-30-2015
I work in a three year old room at a center. Ratio is 12:1. Maximum group size is 24.

Right now we have 14 on our roster with two teachers, but due to staffing issues in the other three year old room, we've been having to take some of theirs so we usually end up with 16-18. The room's capacity is 24, but children cannot transition to the 4 year old pre-k rooms until school starts in August so the lower number is intentional. There will be 24 in the room before August.

Consistent routines keep that running smoothly. We make our expectations for the children very clear. The classroom is arranged into centers and the number of children allowed in a center is limited to avoid overcrowding, which eventually leads to conflict. Toys and materials are clearly labeled and organized.

I worked in the older SA room (7 years+) for part of the summer. Ratio was 20:1 with a maximum group of 30. Reminded me of why I don't usually work in SA rooms. SAers are too old and too tall for my liking.
DestinyAja 11:32 AM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have 12.

3 months
9 months
18 months
3-two yr olds
3-three yr olds
2-four yr olds
2-five yr olds

One of the 5 yr olds fills the empty spaces during the week.

DH is usually around from 11-2ish daily/as needed.
How do you do it with all the different ages? I have varied ages and it just seems so hard. An infant will wake up to be fed in the middle of Circle Time...A toddler will have to rush to the potty right when I'm trying to get the infant to sleep....A crawler will have a temper tantrum while I'm trying to make lunch or snacks....When I try to switch to coloring or an activity they are not interested. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
laundrymom 11:35 AM 08-24-2016
There is one miss laundry and 10 of you. You need to be patient and wait.

This is a rarely taught concept anymore.

Originally Posted by DestinyAja:
How do you do it with all the different ages? I have varied ages and it just seems so hard. An infant will wake up to be fed in the middle of Circle Time...A toddler will have to rush to the potty right when I'm trying to get the infant to sleep....A crawler will have a temper tantrum while I'm trying to make lunch or snacks....When I try to switch to coloring or an activity they are not interested. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Luke25 11:39 AM 08-24-2016
I have 5 and I definitely couldn't do any more.
I have 1 10 month old
1 18 months
2 22months
1 2.5 year old.
All boys!
they are very wild. I working on having a more structured day but it's really tough with their ages.
DestinyAja 12:04 PM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
There is one miss laundry and 10 of you. You need to be patient and wait.

This is a rarely taught concept anymore.
No it's not taught anymore and it's very frustrating. I have 5, plus my own 2.
1 - 2 months
1 - 13 months
3 - 2 years
and my 2 boys are 8 months and 3 years

Aye yi yi!!!
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by DestinyAja:
I am lucky enough that I have a completely separate home in which I run my child care from. This leaves me with lot of space and the ability to set up spaces strictly for specific age groups.

I have an infant/toddler room. It's divided in half for mobile toddlers and floor creepers. It allows both developmental ages to co-exist without fear of them injuring each other.

I have a preschool room where centers and activities geared toward that age are kept there.

I spend most my time in the kitchen/dining room which is centrally located. I can see all areas of the house from the kitchen.

I do circle time DURING morning snack. That way I have everyone's attention and the kids that don't have the skills to sit and listen (toddlers especially) have something to do with their hands.

As for a toddler needing to use the bathroom, I do not consider a child toilet trained until they can use the bathroom on their own so they would simply get up from the table and use the bathroom when necessary.

I change everyone in diapers and have the others use the rest room during normal transition periods which usually happen every 2-2.5 hours.

Yes, there is some massive chaos now and then but I am pretty chill and don't get bent out of shape very easily. I don't have the same type of relationship with my clients as some providers often do. I am very forward, blunt and business like when it comes to dealing with issues.

I am also very play based so I don't spend alot of time entertaining the kids. They do that on their own. I create the environment and rotate out toys and centers and they do the rest. (I am often bored. )

I do not tolerate certain behaviors and am swift and quick when resolving. I have no qualms about terming a parent or child that creates strife within my program.

It also helps that I am the oldest of 6 children and and grew up with my parents taking in foster kids. My mom always says I was a natural born caretaker. It also helps that I was born bossy.
MunchkinWrangler 09:29 PM 08-24-2016
Well, I am going to answer this post although I have lost 2 of my dck's

1- 6 mos
2- 18 mos(1 gone, 1 leaving in a week)
2 -3 yos( 1 mine, 1 not mine)

I would have 2 SA's as well after school and off school days, family has 3 yo with me.

I manage although most of my day revolves around diaper changes, potty times and meal times. I manage and I feel it is actually easier to handle with more than less. My light days are almost more off schedule and loose which is not good for my personality as I am a time schedule type of person.

I am now looking to put in a 7 month old for part time and looking to fill in my other ages.

On a side note, everyone except for one drops off on a consistent schedule, I learned from the forum to contract times and this works better for me so I know when to expect drop offs and pick ups.
Jazzii 07:36 PM 08-28-2016
We have 12 daily + 4 schools agers (5+) so a variation of these

3 month old
9 month old
13 month old
18 month old
20 month old
23 month old

4- 2 year olds
2- 2.5 year olds
3- 3 year olds
3- 4 year olds
2- 5 year olds
1- 6 year old
1- 8 year old
1- 9 year old

And the owners kids: 10,7,6
Jazzii 07:42 PM 08-28-2016
Originally Posted by Jazzii:
We have 12 daily + 4 schools agers (5+) so a variation of these

3 month old
9 month old
13 month old
18 month old
20 month old
23 month old

4- 2 year olds
2- 2.5 year olds
3- 3 year olds
3- 4 year olds
2- 5 year olds
1- 6 year old
1- 8 year old
1- 9 year old

And the owners kids: 10,7,6
We are a group family in NYS, infant ratio is 2:1 we always have 3 people on.

During the day, everyone pitches in to do diapers and meals. During our academic time each staff member takes an age group, one has the 2.5-3 year olds (4 year old go to pre-K) , one has the kids from 18ish months to 2.5 and the last one has the babies.

Each member works on lesson plans for their age group.
jenboo 03:31 PM 08-29-2016
I'm licensed for 5 under 2yrs old.
I have:
4 month old dcb
10 month old dcb
11 month old daughter
15 month old dcb
18 month old dcg
lovemydaycare0912 05:01 AM 08-30-2016
licnesed for 6 and I have 6:

7m
8m
19m
21m
2y
2.5y

My husband and I jointly run the daycare. I'd go crazy with those 6 by myself.
Miss A 05:50 AM 08-30-2016
I am non-registered through the state of Iowa, so I can have a max of 5 including my own in my numbers. Right now I care for:

1-6 month old
1-8 month old
1-15 month old.

In the coming month I will add my own NB to the mix, and early next year I have a family due with their second, and they will join after mom's maternity leave, which will work out because the 15 month old will have turned 2.

I find that I enjoy the infant/toddler age range I have going on now. My days are very scheduled, and all currently enrolled follow my schedule perfectly. It took a little bit to find what fit the group best, and that mentioned shifting everything back by an hour, and allowing for an extra hour of free play in the early AM. Everyone wears down by 9, and is ready for AM nap by 9:30, after diapers and bottles. Then, after AM nap our day is smooth, everyone knows their place in our routine, and it seems like pick-up comes faster each day.
DaveA 05:52 AM 08-30-2016
I'm licensed for 7 (will go to 8 next summer when DD turns 12) and I have 6: almost 2, 2, 3, 4, & two school age. It's just me with an occasional sub (usually DW). I'm looking to fill my 1 spot but so far not getting the responses I usually would get from advertising.
Tags:2015, ratios
Reply Up