Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Kind Of Safety Concerns Should Caregivers Look For In A Centre In All Areas
Tricia 04:40 PM 12-01-2010
What kind of safety concerns would u look for in play areas for a child with spina bifida? What kind of modifications could be made?? Anyone?? Thanx
Michael 05:50 PM 12-01-2010
Hi Tricia. Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum.
SilverSabre25 06:26 PM 12-01-2010
Not that I have personal experience with spina bifida, but I can tell you that a lot of it is going to depend on the particular child's age, limitations, abilities, challenges, and exact medical situation. Is the child in a wheelchair? Then wheelchair accessibility to all areas, the ability for a wheelchair bound child to be as independent as possible (at eating areas, handwashing, play areas, etc). If the child isn't in a wheelchair but has trouble walking, then plenty of handrails, safe edges/corners in case they fall, toys/materials low enough to be reached without undue trouble or step stools (if this is a concern for the child), ability for child to be as independent as possible.

I guess what it comes down to is not very different from what you look for for any other child--ease of reaching materials, ability to facilitate independence as much as possible, etc. The modifications would depend again on the abilities and challenges of the child in question and the state of the area. If you give us more information we might be able to help more.
Tricia 04:13 PM 12-03-2010
Hi there thanks for the post well basically what i know that most of it will be based upon accessibility, but what i am wondering to if they have any difficulties with any motor functioning or verbal skills i myself have spina bifida but its very mild to the point that i do not have any limitations. I am going to be working with special needs and am currently developing a Safety Plan for a child who requires Support but have had some difficulties finding what info i am looking for. Pretty much what i need to figure out is What concerns would i have in the Drama area, Table top activities, Sand/water play, Block area, Nap room etc... Thanx
Tags:diseases, spina bifida
Reply Up