Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Creamy Penne Pasta with Chicken
broncomom1973 06:26 AM 12-10-2010
I found this recipe online towards the end of the summer and my kids loved it. I didnt follow it exactly, I used garlic powder instead of using crushed garlic. I used a combination of sour cream and whole milk, so about 1/4 C each of the sour cream and milk. I also didnt use the red pepper flakes or grape tomatoes. These kids LOVED this recipe and it really wasnt too hard at all. While I was making the sauce, I baked my chicken tenderloins (instead of chicken breasts) and then tore them into pieces after they cooled.

■2 1/2 cups penne pasta, cooked as directed
■4 tablespoons butter
■1 garlic clove, crushed
■1/3 cup onion, sliced
■1/4 teaspoon salt
■4 tablespoons flour
■1 (15 oz.) can or 2 cups chicken broth
■1/2 cup sour cream, half-n-half or whole milk
■1/2 teaspoon salt
■1/8 teaspoon pepper
■2 roasted chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
■red pepper flakes, optional
■grape tomatoes, sliced, optional
While the penne is cooking, melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Cook garlic and onions with 1/4 teaspoon salt, over medium heat, until onions have softened. Add flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in broth, stirring frequently until sauce comes to simmer. Remove from heat.
PLEASE STAND BY FOR A KID FRIENDLY TIP
If you have one on hand, use a hand blender to puree the onions into the sauce for a smoother texture. Or, carefully move sauce to a blender with the lid secured, and pulse the sauce until smooth. Move sauce back to pan and stir in sour cream until it has melted. The kiddos will never know about the onions and garlic.
If you don't have to make a fuss over the kids, then simply stir in the sour cream until it has melted. Be sure the pasta is well drained, then move to a large serving bowl. Top pasta with chicken pieces. Pour sauce over hot pasta, tossing well to get all that creamy sauce inside the pasta. Allow to stand a few minutes before serving, so sauce can thicken. Garnish individual plates with grape tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
SilverSabre25 07:14 AM 12-10-2010
Mmm....I'm really hungry now!
broncomom1973 10:56 AM 02-02-2011
I just made this again for the 3rd time in the past several months and I would say these kids eat this better than anything else I make. They absolutely love it and I honestly have some pretty particular kiddos. It is also pretty easy to make. I bake my tenderloins while making the sauce and cooking the noodles so it really isnt too time consuming. If anyone is looking for a new recipe, I highly recommend this one
momatheart 05:18 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Mmm....I'm really hungry now!
me too this sounds wonderful.
Little People 04:31 AM 02-03-2011
This sounds really good. I am going to make it this weekend!
countrymom 06:41 AM 02-23-2011
I made this yesterday and all the kids loved it. I had one child pick the chicken out, but everyone ate it. Will make again.
My Daycare 04:13 AM 03-09-2011
This was great! I made it yesterday for dinner. The only difference was that I cooked the chicken in the slow cooker in chicken broth & I did puree the sauce, to hide the chunks or from myself.
KEG123 07:14 AM 03-09-2011
This sounds so good. DROOL!
Symphony 01:08 PM 03-09-2011
Thanks for the recipe! The possibilities for veggies are endless...for those that are doing the blender, imagine how easy you could puree in cauliflower!

I think I'll add this to my menu next week and make it with broccoli and bell peppers, yum!
My Daycare 05:31 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Thanks for the recipe! The possibilities for veggies are endless...for those that are doing the blender, imagine how easy you could puree in cauliflower!

I think I'll add this to my menu next week and make it with broccoli and bell peppers, yum!
Yum! Let us know how it turns out.
KEG123 04:04 PM 03-24-2011
Making this right now for dinner... also blended in some celery that I have that was getting soft. Wish I had little tomatos tho...mmm..
marniewon 01:17 PM 04-01-2011
Thanks Broncomom! Tried this last night and it was yummy!!!
jen2651 12:28 PM 04-04-2011
I made this but no grape tomatoes...I added some fresh steamed broccoli - delish! Thanks for a great recipe!
cyerob 10:05 AM 06-24-2011
This looks tasty. Thanks broncomom1973 for this recipe. I would love to try this. Yumyum.
dEHmom 10:40 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
I found this recipe online towards the end of the summer and my kids loved it. I didnt follow it exactly, I used garlic powder instead of using crushed garlic. I used a combination of sour cream and whole milk, so about 1/4 C each of the sour cream and milk. I also didnt use the red pepper flakes or grape tomatoes. These kids LOVED this recipe and it really wasnt too hard at all. While I was making the sauce, I baked my chicken tenderloins (instead of chicken breasts) and then tore them into pieces after they cooled.

■2 1/2 cups penne pasta, cooked as directed
■4 tablespoons butter
■1 garlic clove, crushed
■1/3 cup onion, sliced
■1/4 teaspoon salt
■4 tablespoons flour
■1 (15 oz.) can or 2 cups chicken broth
■1/2 cup sour cream, half-n-half or whole milk
■1/2 teaspoon salt
■1/8 teaspoon pepper
■2 roasted chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
■red pepper flakes, optional
■grape tomatoes, sliced, optional
While the penne is cooking, melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Cook garlic and onions with 1/4 teaspoon salt, over medium heat, until onions have softened. Add flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in broth, stirring frequently until sauce comes to simmer. Remove from heat.
PLEASE STAND BY FOR A KID FRIENDLY TIP
If you have one on hand, use a hand blender to puree the onions into the sauce for a smoother texture. Or, carefully move sauce to a blender with the lid secured, and pulse the sauce until smooth. Move sauce back to pan and stir in sour cream until it has melted. The kiddos will never know about the onions and garlic.
If you don't have to make a fuss over the kids, then simply stir in the sour cream until it has melted. Be sure the pasta is well drained, then move to a large serving bowl. Top pasta with chicken pieces. Pour sauce over hot pasta, tossing well to get all that creamy sauce inside the pasta. Allow to stand a few minutes before serving, so sauce can thicken. Garnish individual plates with grape tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
this is very similar to my chicken penne caesar, so optional, you could use Renee's caesar dressing or something too if you don't want to make homemade sauce. What I do though, is I serve this dish OVER romaine lettuce. Deliscous. I'm going to try your sauce though.
Tags:chicken, pasta, penne, recipe
Reply Up