Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DSS Complaint???
Unregistered 10:31 AM 03-26-2015
I have five children enrolled all 2 and up. I was having 3 use the potty and changing two when someone came knocking on my door. The window in the changing room was wide open and I could see two women with like a leather folder type binder. I did not know these women nor did I see any name badges. Well, I have poop all over a child, the changing table and my gloved hands so I continued to change this child. Before I could get back in the main room, they were gone. I am a little concerned of strangers knocking on my door in mid morning...

I am also concerned that I have gotten a complaint. I am in the process of getting licensed and awaiting all the background checks to come in. I am a very nervous person and things like this bother me...

No information or card was left on my door. However, I do know my neighbor who just moved in has children over the weekends but never during the weekday...I wonder if that was DSS looking for her...
I have waited all day for these ladies to return and no one...I am very legal and not doing anything wrong...but I sure do not want a complaint...
Thriftylady 10:38 AM 03-26-2015
I am sure they would have left a card, the wouldn't have just left so quickly. It was likely something else. I am always a worrier also, but you are likely fine.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:43 AM 03-26-2015
Around here they would have been from the Baptist Church as Easter is approaching
butterfly 10:44 AM 03-26-2015
My first thought was Jehovah Witness. They usually come in pairs around here at all sorts of different times of day.

Don't stress over it. They'll be back if it was serious.
Unregistered 10:49 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am sure they would have left a card, the wouldn't have just left so quickly. It was likely something else. I am always a worrier also, but you are likely fine.
I am an anxious person so I feel Ya!
I don't think they would have left if they were there to check on you. I would think they would call to verify you are open .
Unregistered 10:51 AM 03-26-2015
I worry A LOT! Honestly, I have been diagnosed with OCD over my worrying and obsessing on thoughts...LOL

I would have thought they would have stopped at my neighbors home as well but did not see them after I was done with the poop...but I was not longer than 2-3 min. I had to change her clothes as well.

I know I have been getting letters from a Christian academy wanting me to give their information out to my parents. I was thinking it could be them...or maybe someone saw my daycare all over the web is trying to sell me something..

I have never dealt with a complaint before so I am unsure of the process..

I was also thinking it was a client I dismissed in Feb. for non payment and refusing to follow any of my rules. She was furious with me and I thought she would make a false complaint.
Heidi 10:52 AM 03-26-2015
My first thought was Missionaries, too.
Rockgirl 10:53 AM 03-26-2015
Were they in a vehicle? If not, they were likely walking door to door--probably some type of evangelists. I agree with the others--if they left that easily, they probably weren't from licensing.
hope 11:31 AM 03-26-2015
I wouldn't worry. Could be parishioners or salesmen, we get a lot of activists from the local college wanting to get our signature or asking us to volunteer to a cause. All are regularly clothed people with binders. If DSS wanted to get in touch with you I would think they would call or wait longer knowing you were inside with children.
spinnymarie 12:09 PM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am an anxious person so I feel Ya!
I don't think they would have left if they were there to check on you. I would think they would call to verify you are open .
ITA - with a complaint I'm sure they would call if you hadn't opened the door when you were supposed to be open.
CraftyMom 12:53 PM 03-26-2015
They wouldn't have left that easily if it were a complaint. My first thought was missionaries
daycare 02:51 PM 03-26-2015
sorry have to throw this out there, but are you doing something you are not supposed to that is causing you to freak out like this? If you have nothing to hide, then so what....even if someone did complain so what.
Thriftylady 02:55 PM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
sorry have to throw this out there, but are you doing something you are not supposed to that is causing you to freak out like this? If you have nothing to hide, then so what....even if someone did complain so what.
If the OP has anxiety like I do, that doesn't matter. Our vehicles are older and paid off, and I still freak out if a tow truck slows down in front of my house "oh no the repo man" is the first thing in my mind until I realize we haven't had a vehicle payment in years.
Gemma 03:04 PM 03-26-2015

daycare 03:05 PM 03-26-2015
If the OP has anxiety like I do, that doesn't matter. Our vehicles are older and paid off, and I still freak out if a tow truck slows down in front of my house "oh no the repo man" is the first thing in my mind until I realize we haven't had a vehicle payment in years.
got it....I don't know what really that means anxiety to think that way. is it like an illness? Sorry I am just trying to understand. I looked up anxiety and it just says an inner state of unpleasant turmoil
SquirrellyMama 03:12 PM 03-26-2015
It is possible to freak out even if you aren't doing anything wrong. I hate tax time. Every year I worry that I'm going to be audited. Why? No clue. We document everything and aren't doing anything illegal.

I've worried about this since I've been an adult.

Kelly
Unregistered 03:14 PM 03-26-2015
got it....I don't know what really that means anxiety to think that way. is it like an illness? Sorry I am just trying to understand. I looked up anxiety and it just says an inner state of unpleasant turmoil
This, perfect

http://themetapicture.com/heres-an-e...stand-anxiety/
Thriftylady 03:19 PM 03-26-2015
This, perfect

It is an illness. Mine goes hand in hand with my depression, when one gets bad the other follows. I have medications to control the anxiety and depression actually I have three medications and one I only take when my anxiety gets super bad (don't take those often at all I fear the addictiveness one person told me when you are scared of your meds you need them lol). But mine is mostly managed with meds, but it isn't a cure all. I have severe financial anxiety, they say it comes from when I was little and mom mom digging in grocery store dumpsters to feed me. I have other anxiety that goes with my staying with an abusive ex for almost ten years.
daycare 03:22 PM 03-26-2015
This, perfect

wow...ok. Well then i guess you have all right to think like that if you are suffering from anxiety.

i kind of understand anxiety, but I guess i didnt really know that it did that to people. Sorry i am sounding pretty dumb right now, but i don't have any experience with it.

Sorry to hear that this happens to you.....
daycare 03:22 PM 03-26-2015
It is an illness. Mine goes hand in hand with my depression, when one gets bad the other follows. I have medications to control the anxiety and depression actually I have three medications and one I only take when my anxiety gets super bad (don't take those often at all I fear the addictiveness one person told me when you are scared of your meds you need them lol). But mine is mostly managed with meds, but it isn't a cure all. I have severe financial anxiety, they say it comes from when I was little and mom mom digging in grocery store dumpsters to feed me. I have other anxiety that goes with my staying with an abusive ex for almost ten years.
omg you are going to make me cry...........
Thriftylady 03:26 PM 03-26-2015
omg you are going to make me cry...........
Don't cry, I really am okay. My mom did the best she could at the time while being totally in love with an alcoholic who was wonderful when he was sober. She loved him till the day he died they almost got remarried because he was clean and sober and back to the wonderful man that he was without his demons. But he passed before they could.

I still have after effects and PTSD from my first marriage, but in other ways it has made me who I am today and although I have some issues, I like who I am now. I am a great wife and mother and have awesome kids who my awesome hubby adopted! The crap just gets in the way sometimes. Doesn't make my life horrible, it does make it SEEM horrible some days, but really it isn't. Today is a good day! I stood up for myself yesterday DESPITE my financial anxiety and I am proud of myself for it. Each day that I win is a small victory and I hope the OP feels that way also.
daycare 03:30 PM 03-26-2015

you are amazing!!
Thriftylady 03:33 PM 03-26-2015

you are amazing!!
Only today lol tomorrow may be a bad day! When you have anxiety and/or depression it is day by day. Some days you see the small victories, other days you are just a mess worried about who the heck just knocked on your door and what in the world you did wrong.
Josiegirl 02:56 AM 03-27-2015
Anxiety is no fun to deal with. I've had it for 20some years and meds. have helped. Anxiety, depression, paranoia, so I can completely understand the OP's feelings of worrying if it's something she did even with being a good provider.
Unregistered 03:24 AM 03-27-2015
OK so in other words I am lying that I am legal? I do recall saying that I am legal and I have anxiety and worry issues. But you just over look that and say Oh well she is worried so she must be doing something wrong...and btw I am sooo sorry to throw that out there.

No, you are not sorry for throwing that out there. That was rude and very hurtful to me. I am sorry that you feel that way even though I wrote the truth. However, I am legal and I run my daycare very professional. I was licensed years ago and not one time did I receive any violation. It is a choice that I do not like the state telling me how and what to do. I am a good person, I love my kids, and I am legal. I do story time, circle time, music n movement, calendar time, weather time, art, and much more. I do more then most unlicensed and just as much as a preschool. I find you comment and ones who agreed with you vey very offensive and I just do not see how you could have said that. Me, the type of person I am, I would have felt bad knowing I was going to hurt someone's feelings. You are very aware that you were going to offend me and hurt my feelings. I just do not get why people can't be nice? This is a site for all us providers to feel like we can have someone to turn to and a comment like that does not say that.

To confirm: I am legal, I am not doing anything wrong, I have an anxiety disorder (DR said so just so you are confused about that too), and I worry over EVERYTHING!!!!!

Moral of this whole thing....DO NOT JUDGE SOMEONE BUT TREAT THEM LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.

blueskiesbutterflies 03:49 AM 03-27-2015
I suffer from anxiety, depression, and ocd as well. I live a life that caters to the illness and I choose not to use medication. Some days can be jus torture and when something happens you want to crawl in bed and just "heal" from all the pain the world has thrown at you.

I get so upset and full of anxiety at the little things. That most people do not worry about. Such as, a parent comes in acting different then I will worry all day that they are upset with me and that they are leaving. Most of you don worry about that but I do.

I am in the middle of getting my BS and I have one more year. I have managed to obtain a 4.0 gpa and I struggle with it and worry with it every single day! If I get something below a 100 I worry. I once got a B on an assignment in my class and it was the end of the world. But really is it? Is it something to stress and worry about? No, but I am unable to control it.

Your mind can be sick like the rest of your body. It can not be cured but it can be controlled if u can handle the meds. I could not handle any of the medication, but here lately I have been thinking of going back to them.

All in all, I can see why she would be so afraid and does not mean that she is doing anything wrong. I would have freaked out if it were me. But, I do not answer the door to strangers during daycare hourse and we get a lot of church people and those guys who sell meat and stuff. I just do not feel like it is safe when you have others kids.

Thriftylady 05:00 AM 03-27-2015
OK so in other words I am lying that I am legal? I do recall saying that I am legal and I have anxiety and worry issues. But you just over look that and say Oh well she is worried so she must be doing something wrong...and btw I am sooo sorry to throw that out there.

No, you are not sorry for throwing that out there. That was rude and very hurtful to me. I am sorry that you feel that way even though I wrote the truth. However, I am legal and I run my daycare very professional. I was licensed years ago and not one time did I receive any violation. It is a choice that I do not like the state telling me how and what to do. I am a good person, I love my kids, and I am legal. I do story time, circle time, music n movement, calendar time, weather time, art, and much more. I do more then most unlicensed and just as much as a preschool. I find you comment and ones who agreed with you vey very offensive and I just do not see how you could have said that. Me, the type of person I am, I would have felt bad knowing I was going to hurt someone's feelings. You are very aware that you were going to offend me and hurt my feelings. I just do not get why people can't be nice? This is a site for all us providers to feel like we can have someone to turn to and a comment like that does not say that.

To confirm: I am legal, I am not doing anything wrong, I have an anxiety disorder (DR said so just so you are confused about that too), and I worry over EVERYTHING!!!!!

Moral of this whole thing....DO NOT JUDGE SOMEONE BUT TREAT THEM LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
Please don't feel that way. People that don't suffer from anxiety just don't understand it. I wouldn't if I didn't have it. But really once you hang out more in this forum and get to know people better you will know that posters here don't judge harshly. That is why I felt like I could open up here and your thread and share about my anxiety to help others understand that it is an evil monster some days. I have no doubt you have anxiety, in fact I brought it up here. But really, if you are having it so badly you may want to see your dr again so he can adjust your meds so you don't feel so badly. Mine have had to be adjusted many times, and it always works out for the better.
MyAngels 07:37 AM 03-27-2015
I had an "official looking" visitor once when I was closed. I actually wasn't here, but my then teenage daughter was. She was still sleeping, and by the time she got to the door to look out the person was already getting back into her car so she just went back to bed. Turned out to be the State Board of Education doing some kind of audit for the food program.

I had forgotten to notify them that I was closed for the day . I did get a phone call from the FP, but nothing else was ever said about it and they never did come back.
MyAngels 07:46 AM 03-27-2015
If you have nothing to hide, then so what....even if someone did complain so what.
That is a very naive point of view. In our business a single complaint, whether it's true or not, has to potential to ruin not only our business, but our personal lives as well.
jenboo 08:06 AM 03-27-2015

Daycare was not trying to be hurtful or judgmental. She comes from a different country and is constantly learning new English words/terms. She said she did understand what anxiety was and didn't know it could be so bad that it's actually an illness people struggle with.
Then she goes on to apologize for not understanding it at first.
Did you read all her comments? She never said you were a liar or illegal. She simply didn't understand.
daycare 08:37 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Daycare was not trying to be hurtful or judgmental. She comes from a different country and is constantly learning new English words/terms. She said she did understand what anxiety was and didn't know it could be so bad that it's actually an illness people struggle with.
Then she goes on to apologize for not understanding it at first.
Did you read all her comments? She never said you were a liar or illegal. She simply didn't understand.
Jenboo-

Thanks for your support.

I don't think it has anything to do with me coming from a different country as much as it has to do with me not KNOWING what it was and understanding it.

If anyone wants to throw stones at me for it, that's ok. I was not judging anyone, i was simply asking a question. I didn't label you or accuse you of anything.

Thanks to Thriftylady and the unregistered who posted that link, I now have a better understanding.

And for the record, I do treat people the way they want to be treated. I come here with an open mind and I get an array of responses. Some I like and some I don't. But I get every side of the coin and that is why I come here.
daycare 08:38 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
That is a very naive point of view. In our business a single complaint, whether it's true or not, has to potential to ruin not only our business, but our personal lives as well.
I don't think it's fair to say I am naive, More like uneducated in what anxiety disorder is.
Josiegirl 10:37 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by blueskiesbutterflies:

I get so upset and full of anxiety at the little things. That most people do not worry about. Such as, a parent comes in acting different then I will worry all day that they are upset with me and that they are leaving. Most of you don worry about that but I do.
This is me too!! Everything is certainly my fault, it must be something I did, I feel guilty even if I am 100% in the clear. So yeh, I totally get it. And it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:08 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I had an "official looking" visitor once when I was closed. I actually wasn't here, but my then teenage daughter was. She was still sleeping, and by the time she got to the door to look out the person was already getting back into her car so she just went back to bed. Turned out to be the State Board of Education doing some kind of audit for the food program.

I had forgotten to notify them that I was closed for the day . I did get a phone call from the FP, but nothing else was ever said about it and they never did come back.
Bah! I don't want to hear that they ACTUALLY do that!!! My FP people warn us all the time that the state Dept of Ed make random visits, and when they do, we are supposed to provide them with 3 YEARS of menus and attendance records. On paper. So, we're supposed to print the whole shebang every month, or save hand-written records, and keep them for 3 years!

I keep my hand-written ones...mostly complete...but have them dumped in with every other DC piece of paper I keep in one big box. I guess if they come around here, I'll just hand them the box and tell them to have at it!
Thriftylady 12:45 PM 03-27-2015
I don't think it's fair to say I am naive, More like uneducated in what anxiety disorder is.
I wouldn't even say that really. My hubby tries to be so supportive and understanding when I have a bad day, but he doesn't really "get it". And those bad days I get mad at him because it looks to me like he doesn't care. It isn't like that really, I think he just cares on a more normal level. He doesn't understand sometimes what I get so worked up about. He can say something like "who cares what they think" and mean it (likely he has the right attitude), and I will say "well I do and so should you". It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason sometimes, the link is so totally right lol. Other people can look at the same thing and think oh well, and if my anxiety is bad that day it is the end of the world lol. Sometimes I look back on things and think how silly I was over it, but can't seem to think that in the moment lol.
Unregistered 10:00 PM 03-27-2015
I had the food program auditors come one time. They did bring one person from the local office (but not my regular monitor) and then there were maybe 3 or 4 other people, I think all men in suits. They just looked at my current month claim to date (this was when everything was on paper, before we did things on computer). I don't know if they randomly choose people or if they looked at "suspicious" providers. I was licensed for 12 but had 23 kids on the books because they were all part time, and they didn't believe me that I had that many kids in care. I have a photo and name up of every kid currently enrolled on one wall, so maybe that helped. =)

The other day I had an official person come to the door that I didn't recognize. It turned out to be a county auditor just updating the house info for tax purposes (number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.) Not at all day care related, just showed up during day care hours. Of course right as everyone had woken up from nap and we were getting ready for snack, on my busiest day of the week.
Josiegirl 03:51 AM 03-28-2015
I do have to say I hate it when random people come to my door. Usually the salespeople are smart enough to leave their goods in their car so by the time they get their toes in the door, they start running their spiel. I'm not as nice about it as I used to be. I remember when my ds was little, my dh happened to be here at the time. A child's encyclopedia guy came to the door. My dh talked to him for an hour, they woke our ds up who cried and cried. The guy asked if he was always like that. No, only when he gets woken up early idiot.
But anyways, I get people out asap IF I even answer the door.
All the official people I recognize. But if 2 random women came with notebooks, etc., it'd make me nervous too. Don't sweat it till you know what's going on.
Reply Up