Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>What do you wish you knew then?
TigerLily12 11:48 AM 10-06-2015
Hi All!

I've been lurking on this forum on and off for a few months in anticipation of one day maybe opening a family daycare. Well, my husband and I took the plunge and bought a home, and I have begun the licensing process! I've learned so much from you all already, but I would love to hear the most important piece of advice that you wish you had known when you started out? Thanks so much!
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by TigerLily12:
Hi All!

I've been lurking on this forum on and off for a few months in anticipation of one day maybe opening a family daycare. Well, my husband and I took the plunge and bought a home, and I have begun the licensing process! I've learned so much from you all already, but I would love to hear the most important piece of advice that you wish you had known when you started out? Thanks so much!
Off the top of my head, this is my "wish I knew then" list....

laundrymom 12:13 PM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by TigerLily12:
Hi All!

$5 per week. Per family. Straight to savings. For a "holy crap, I can not deal with this family another day and must terminate immediately" fund until you fill spot. It's been my saving grace a couple of times.
Josiegirl 03:11 PM 10-06-2015
Do not be a door mat.
Make sure a child and their family will be a good fit. Always use a 2 week trial period. Or even longer.
Get paid for 52 weeks a year.

And don't ever let a family disrespect you in your own home.
TigerLily12 06:02 PM 10-06-2015
Thanks everyone! These are great ideas! I especially love the "holy crap I can't deal" fund. I've spent the last 7 years working as a nanny so I definitely get the importance of setting clear boundaries, and making sure kids are eating and sleeping well, but being in a position of having to enforce my rules will be new.
Reply Up