Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Homeschool/Daycare Supplies Intertwine
aemcclane 04:36 PM 08-30-2015
We just started homeschooling this year and I'm having some confusion with how to claim and enter supply expenses into my MMK account. All of her schooling is done during the day while daycare kids are here. My daughter is in Kindergarten so most of what she does I do with all of the daycare children (art projects, circle time, etc.) So for instance, the curriculum I've paid for. It doesn't fit under 100% business but it also doesn't fit under T/S as we use it far more with the daycare kids. I guess my confusion is because everything is used during the day while dck are here and never outside of those times, but it is personal.

Not sure if any of this makes sense...I've been thinking in circles all night as I enter in my receipts.
kendallina 05:49 PM 08-30-2015
I'm pretty sure you'd enter it as TS% unless you record and calculate the exact amount of time it's used with daycare versus homeschooling. Hopefully someone else will respond, but I think this is right...
nothingwithoutjoy 06:40 PM 08-30-2015
I was in your shoes last year. I found that pretty much everything I bought for homeschooling my daughter I used in some way or another with the kids. So I plan to write it all off as S/T. There was only one math book that I bought for her and used only with her that I won't include.
TomCopeland 06:46 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by aemcclane:
We just started homeschooling this year and I'm having some confusion with how to claim and enter supply expenses into my MMK account. All of her schooling is done during the day while daycare kids are here. My daughter is in Kindergarten so most of what she does I do with all of the daycare children (art projects, circle time, etc.) So for instance, the curriculum I've paid for. It doesn't fit under 100% business but it also doesn't fit under T/S as we use it far more with the daycare kids. I guess my confusion is because everything is used during the day while dck are here and never outside of those times, but it is personal.

Not sure if any of this makes sense...I've been thinking in circles all night as I enter in my receipts.
I'd deduct the actual business use percentage of these supplies. Maybe 80% or more, depending on the number of daycare children.
Tags:daycare supplies, deduction - supplies, homeschooling, tom copeland
Reply Up