Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MY Kid Is Jealous!
Ariana 09:51 AM 11-02-2011
I need some advice on how to handle my child's jealousy towards an 18 month old I just started. My daughter is 2 and reacts very negatively towards this child especially when I show her any affection.

I've tried explaining that I'm taking care of this girl while her mommy is at work and even got a book from the library about jealousy but it's not helping. I am assuming it's a phase that will pass in time (the girl only started last week)??

Any advice? Thanks
Ariana 03:53 PM 11-02-2011
anyone?
nannyde 04:43 PM 11-02-2011
My experience is that jealousy doesn't really occur in young children. I've seen many adults call bad behavior jealousy but it's a word for the adults and many adults are quite enamored by it... deep down inside they LIKE it. Seeing yours do jealousy means YOU are the most special to them. Not saying that's your role in this but PLEASE check yourself to make sure that's not happening.

About her behavior: She's behaving in an unstable way and that most likely comes from YOU. She's sensing YOU are off kilter and she's balancing YOUR behavior out.

If you are leading her she will accept who YOU accept. She doesn't get to pick. She shouldn't have a single say in what you do. She's a two year old... a very very new human being. She doesn't know what YOU need or what the other little one needs. She can't decide because she couldn't possibly even understand it.

You need to tell her to STOP behaving that way and that you will hug and kiss whoever you want. If she doesn't like it she can be gone (go play) and do something else. Turn her AWAY from you and shun whatever behavior she is doing that is coming into your brain as jealous behavior.

Once you let her know she doesn't have anything TO do with it and can't do anything about it... she will accept it.
daycare 04:52 PM 11-02-2011
My son had a hard time sharing me when he was about 1.5 years old and would not like the attention I gave to others.

So I decided to have a set schedule for my child that was different than everyone else.

I looked at it this way. My son did not ask me to daycare and did not ask to be in daycare for 12 hours a day. I don't think it would be fair for him to have to adhere to DC rules for that many hours a day.

I created his own space in my front room, so that I could still keep a watchful eye on him. This space was his, no one else. DCK could not go into this space only him and I. I did want my son to participate in my preschool class, but he had no desire. SO I let him come and go as he pleases. The only rule I have about his toys in his space is that if he takes them into the DC room then they become free game to all of the kids.

I also feed my son after the daycare kids lay down for naps. We eat lunch together and I will often give him a special snack. We then play together and some times even read books, color or watch a special movie together. I lay him down to nap from 2:00-3:30 only.

Once I started doing this, his demand for my attention really dropped. He however, still gets tired of having to hear, sorry son you will have to wait a few minutes until I am done helping DCK with this or that. I tell him if you are patient and wait for me to be done, we can have extra special.
Cat Herder 05:07 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
anyone?
I started to post many times...but after having my hand bitten so many times, I stopped reaching into this cage (providers kids).

Providers being willing/able to enforce rules equally for their own children, in the group of daycare kids, is a skill few posses.

Even fewer are willing to admit it. This is why most centers wont even permit it. Many wont even let the employees kids attend the same center, but send them to a "Sister" center, instead.

I STRONGLY feel that this is the main reason so many new providers burn out within the first 2 years. I would take it a step further to say I would not enroll my own child in that situation because I grew up in it myself.

IME, It typically goes one of two ways.

1. "Center Brats": Must be center of attention, tantrums when not, violent toward daycare kids, tattle tail, and bosses everyone around.

2. "Drone": They mentally check out because all they hear all day is "In a minute", "Not right now", "Wait your turn", or "You should KNOW better (because they are expected to set the example)." These are the kids that the other kids target/torment.

I never kept kids my own kids age. My kids have never been a part of the daycare group. IMHO, It is why I am still happily in business.

Nannyde's plan is the best plan I can think of other than adjusting the ages of your DCK's.

Before you get offended, please remember you asked. You don't have to agree with me to be my friend. That is the beauty of free will and personal experiences.
daycare 05:28 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I started to post many times...but after having my hand bitten so many times, I stopped reaching into this cage (providers kids).

Providers being willing/able to enforce rules equally for their own children, in the group of daycare kids, is a skill few posses.

Even fewer are willing to admit it. This is why most centers wont even permit it. Many wont even let the employees kids attend the same center, but send them to a "Sister" center, instead.

I STRONGLY feel that this is the main reason so many new providers burn out within the first 2 years. I would take it a step further to say I would not enroll my own child in that situation because I grew up in it myself.

IME, It typically goes one of two ways.

1. "Center Brats": Must be center of attention, tantrums when not, violent toward daycare kids, tattle tail, and bosses everyone around.

2. "Drone": They mentally check out because all they hear all day is "In a minute", "Not right now", "Wait your turn", or "You should KNOW better (because they are expected to set the example)." These are the kids that the other kids target/torment.

I never kept kids my own kids age. My kids have never been a part of the daycare group. IMHO, It is why I am still happily in business.

Nannyde's plan is the best plan I can think of other than adjusting the ages of your DCK's.

Before you get offended, please remember you asked. You don't have to agree with me to be my friend. That is the beauty of free will and personal experiences.
lol I have to agree with you again...The child that I have the hardest time with most of the time is my own.. He does not understand why saturday there are no rules, before 7 am there are no rules and after 7 pm there are no rules, but for 12 hours of the day, there are a ton of DC rules and he doesn't know how to behave when and why..

BUt I still love having him here with me daily..
Country Kids 05:58 PM 11-02-2011
For those that didn't have your children as part of your daycare group what did you do with them all day? This was my main reason for staying home with my children-so that I could be with them. If I had them in a different part of the house or not included in my daily activities why stay home? I find that kinda sad-. Maybe I'm not reading the posts right. I can see them being able to come and go because mine were but not do include them just seems odd.
daycare 06:03 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
For those that didn't have your children as part of your daycare group what did you do with them all day? This was my main reason for staying home with my children-so that I could be with them. If I had them in a different part of the house or not included in my daily activities why stay home? I find that kinda sad-. Maybe I'm not reading the posts right. I can see them being able to come and go because mine were but not do include them just seems odd.
i am not saying to separate them at all times, I am saying give them a space of their own to go to when they feel overwhelmed by the DCK. You can't expect your child to be under DC rules for the amount of hours that you operate, so give them some of their own space.

My son is 4 now and he now does just about every single thing we do.. Plus I get to know that hes ok all day and can still be loved by me even if it is not the entire day.... .

I often feel bad for my DCK when they see me loving on my son, because they dont get that from their mommy and daddy a billion times a day, they get it from me and that is just not the same.
nannyde 06:31 PM 11-02-2011
I had my house set up so mine could run the house. He had his own room, the living room, and the upstairs playroom to free range. He could come into the daycare space if he wanted so he bopped in and out.

It wasn't a problem for him. He had the choice to be in the playroom with constant adult supervision and group rules or run the house doing whatever he wanted without adult supervision and no group rules.

He gladly ran the house. He was in the playroom for the cream of the crop stuff like playdoh, painting, crafts, etc. but when "go play toys" came around he scooted on out and did his own thing.

He could watch TV whenever he wanted, get out tons of toys, play with little bits, play and watch TV at the same time, climb the furniture, eat whenever he wanted, etc.

I had a daycare for seven years before he was born. I didn't start doing child care to stay home with my kid. He was born into this life and I knew I did NOT want him to be raised as a daycare child in his own home. I did 24 hour care until a couple of years ago so I REALLY had to set his life up to have a home life. I was VERY strict with the daycare kids schedule both day and night to make sure that he had plenty of family time and time to just be a kid in his home.
Country Kids 06:58 PM 11-02-2011
Weren't you ever worried about them getting hurt or doing something that they weren't suppose to be doing? I totally trust my kids but.........when they are little they need supervision. Isn't that why we are suppose to be insight or sound of the daycare children at all times?

Also, I my children counted in my count of children so basically they had to follow all the rules and regulations that my state has-. So if they were to be in their room unsupervised that would have been a big no, no. They couldn't even go in my backyard because I wouldn't have been there. I think that is why some of mine struggle because they always had to be involved!
Cat Herder 07:06 PM 11-02-2011
I ran daycare before my kids were born as well.

When I decided to get pregnant again (search any SIDS thread for new comers), I switched to Before/After School and Summer Program only. I paid off debt like a fiend first in preparation.

My babies had my full attention during the school year and had EVERYONES attention the rest of the time... They were the adored mascots.

Once they were school aged, I made the switch to infants-4 and home schooled through online virtual academy during daycare hours.

Now that they are teens, they do arts and crafts, read stories and even dance with the littles when they want to. The same thing the first group did for them...the DCK's are their adored mascots.

It is a really wonderful cycle.
nannyde 07:27 PM 11-02-2011
Weren't you ever worried about them getting hurt or doing something that they weren't suppose to be doing? I totally trust my kids but.........when they are little they need supervision. Isn't that why we are suppose to be insight or sound of the daycare children at all times?

Also, I my children counted in my count of children so basically they had to follow all the rules and regulations that my state has-. So if they were to be in their room unsupervised that would have been a big no, no. They couldn't even go in my backyard because I wouldn't have been there. I think that is why some of mine struggle because they always had to be involved!
Nope

I am an excellent safety proofer. By the time he was born I had twenty years under my belt. When I was a Nanny the families I worked for had MANY houses and travelled extensively to hotels and rental homes. It was part of my job to safety proof every place we went. I did it for years.

I set up my home to accomodate a free ranger. Everything he couldn't have was blocked off. My back yard is completely fenced in. He could go outside and play for HOURS with his dog, sandbox, BIG scoop trucks, and hotwheels. I could see him from the kitchen window. When he was out he would find stuff to do for HOURS.

I had play yards around the tv's....... hook locks on the doors, all heavy things bolted/secured into the walls..... kitchen blocked off with half walls and doors with hook locks..........

He wasn't quite two in this pic: see blockage of the playroom tv

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...otoid=41875715

It was a learning curve for me to have a child that wasn't someone else's kid. I had the freedom to allow him to be free within the house. It was SO much easier than watching others children. There wasn't much pressure to keep him COMPLETELY accident free every day. I did have to learn what kids WOULD do when they weren't supervised every single second they were up on their feet. I hadn't had that experience because every child care job I had ....... I HAD to keep them safe at all times. He taught me a thing or two about a thing or two.
He was also the biggest kid I had ever had (he's eleven years four months and already five foot four and a half)..... He could do things a lot earlier than other kids I had because he was so much taller so much earlier than I was used to.

He did count in my numbers but THANKFULLY my state doesn't require us to do the same rules for daycare kids as our kids. I've heard of states requiring this.

He had it pretty sweet. He had a life here I WISH I could give the other kids.
daycare 08:59 PM 11-02-2011
the front part of my house that I use DC in is shaped like a U

Living room in front left, dinning and kitchen in the bottom of the U, then off to the right is the daycare room. There are no walls between these room that don't allow me to have direct supervision of my child at all times.

He is too young even at 4 to play in his own room alone. I dont allow for him to be out of my sight unless he has to potty. Then I can still hear him as the bathroom is also near the area he is in.
Ariana 06:13 AM 11-03-2011
She doesn't act violently towards the other child just doesn't seem to like her. My child is 2 years old so definately is in the stage of "MINE". When the other daycare children started there was no issue because she was only 16 months and didn't really care. Now that she's 2 she cares. I also remember the 2 year old that I started acting the same way towards her at 16 months. Now they're best friends. Almost like a pekking order being set up.

The reason I feel it's jealosy is because when I hug the other DCG she says "no she's MY mom". This makes me suspect jeaousy but at the same time maybe it's just a posession thing like she is with many toys (which is normal!). Maybe my post made it sound like she was crazy out of control brat but she really isn't!! I just wanted her to understand that I'm always her mom and that I'm not now all of a sudden someone else's mom kwim?

I definately think I don't give her enough attention. I was chatting with my husband last night and realized that often I am so focused on the kids that aren't my own I sort of forget about her needs. I think if anything I need to treat her more equal....maybe in my quest to treat everyone like my own I'm ignoring her more?

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts. You've given me lots to think about
Ariana 06:39 AM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by :
Not offended at all!! Thanks for your point of view. As someone who has worked in daycare centres for many years I know exactly what you're talking about and go out of my way NOT to be that co-worker mom that irked me so much! LOL
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 11-03-2011
She doesn't act violently towards the other child just doesn't seem to like her. My child is 2 years old so definately is in the stage of "MINE". When the other daycare children started there was no issue because she was only 16 months and didn't really care. Now that she's 2 she cares. I also remember the 2 year old that I started acting the same way towards her at 16 months. Now they're best friends. Almost like a pekking order being set up.

The reason I feel it's jealosy is because when I hug the other DCG she says "no she's MY mom". This makes me suspect jeaousy but at the same time maybe it's just a posession thing like she is with many toys (which is normal!). Maybe my post made it sound like she was crazy out of control brat but she really isn't!! I just wanted her to understand that I'm always her mom and that I'm not now all of a sudden someone else's mom kwim?

I definately think I don't give her enough attention. I was chatting with my husband last night and realized that often I am so focused on the kids that aren't my own I sort of forget about her needs. I think if anything I need to treat her more equal....maybe in my quest to treat everyone like my own I'm ignoring her more?

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts. You've given me lots to think about
That is exactly what I was leaning towards when I was reading the posts....then I got to your reply and BINGO! there it is. I think it is more a possessive issue than it is a jealousy issue.

Just this morning one of my 2 yr olds said "No!, my Miss B" when I picked up a peer. So I am going with possession.
nannyde 11:59 AM 11-03-2011

She's "claiming you"... she's "resource guarding"

She doesn't get to do that. She's two. YOU tell HER what YOU will have and won't have. When it comes to the other kids you decide. It's not about her. Let her know that and she will settle.

I promise
cheerfuldom 02:01 PM 11-03-2011
I have a 3 year old, a 2 year old and an infant of my own while doing daycare. The last two kids were born into this situation. You have to find a combination of what works for you. In a nutshell, I don't require my kids to be a part of the daycare program or force them to play with the kids. They are not allowed to be mean but they don't have to be friends either. My kids have their own rooms that are not used for daycare purposes and same thing with toys. Yes the older two are still young but they do go and have a break when they need it. My baby is on the opposite schedule as the daycare kids. When she is up, its all about her. I don't really get a break all day but this is what works for me. My daycare kids are not allowed to treat this home like they live here. I am not their mom, that is not their couch to sit on, etc, etc. They are in daycare, my kids are at home. I don't try to make everything equal. Today my kids got a rare treat of fruit snacks. I planned it while the other kids were still napping and don't feel bad at all that nobody else got the treat. You just have to find a balance of being a mother and a provider. This situation is all about you, not your child, as nanny said. For the times when my kids get like yours is now, I say "one hug, then go play". They are not allowed to stand next to me crying, push other kids off my lap or any of that behavior. Tell your daughter what she can do, then what she needs to do next in short simple phrases. I also don't allow the daycare kids to be hoarding my attention either. I don't carry kids that can walk, I don't rock kids, I don't play with them for extended periods of time (I don't entertain kids, I don't get in their activities where the hugging, clinging, etc starts escalating). This goes for my own kids. I know it may sound really harsh but I promise, I am loving towards all my kids and daycare kids, I just now by experience what situations start the fighting. If I am reading and they are fighting over lap space, they all get off. If they still can't handle that, then we put books away for now. Its all about you solving each issue as it comes and not allowing your daughter to behave that way.

daycare forces me to be a different type of mom in some ways but I really do think that my kids are okay despite that. They are very independent, friendly little kids. There are many plus-es to being a provider. My kids are always on routine, do great with new people, very outgoing and independent. Try not to focus on what your child is not getting but what they are getting. She will feed off of your uncertainty and hesitation. If you aren't being the leader in the group, she will take over and that is not a place that is healthy for a kid. You are in charge, you decide what is happening. You don't have to be mean to be the leader, just really really consistent!
Ariana 02:28 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by :
She doesn't get to do that. She's two. YOU tell HER what YOU will have and won't have. When it comes to the other kids you decide. It's not about her. Let her know that and she will settle.

I promise
Can you tell me how?!!

I have to say this thread has been very enlightening for me because I think when I reacted to her in terms of "jealousy" I felt guilty and bad....if I look at it as more of posession I don't feel so bad about setting boundaries. But how to I set up those boundaries for her without "rejecting" her as my daughter kwim? It's so easy to set boundaries for other kids because they go home at night to their parents (who hopefully give them unconditional love)...whereas I am the parent. It's confusing!

I'm going to go through and read the replies again so it all sinks in! thanks again
Tags:center brats, provider - burnout risk, provider - own child
Reply Up