Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>The cook in preschool must be professional and well prepared. S/he must, after an off
TGPII 08:28 AM 04-30-2012
There is more to this ad but this is was I saw. It says she but what if a he applies? Isn't there sexual discrimination laws? Also, I never heard of cook as full time(unless the cook does other jobs also):

The cook in preschool must be professional and well prepared. S/he must, after an offer of employment is made, produce a current physical examination by a physician with a tuberculin test or chest x-ray, have approved state clearance forms for child abuse and certificate demonstrating an approved criminal record check. She must have the ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid, and demonstrate the ability to see and read newsprint, with or without corrective lenses, to speak and be understood under normal circumstances.

I saw this job opening. Full Time Benefits Include:
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by TGPII:
There is more to this ad but this is was I saw. It says she but what if a he applies? Isn't there sexual discrimination laws? Also, I never heard of cook as full time(unless the cook does other jobs also):

The cook in preschool must be professional and well prepared. S/he must, after an offer of employment is made, produce a current physical examination by a physician with a tuberculin test or chest x-ray, have approved state clearance forms for child abuse and certificate demonstrating an approved criminal record check. She must have the ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid, and demonstrate the ability to see and read newsprint, with or without corrective lenses, to speak and be understood under normal circumstances.

I saw this job opening. Full Time Benefits Include:

There is much more to being a cook in a school or preschool than just lunch time. There is snack (s) and prep time as well as clean up time and perhaps ordering and record keeping as well which all could easily translate into a full time position.

As far as the S/he thing, the first part of the add you posted DOES say "S/he" as if it is speaking to both sexes and the second place in the ad only says she. I would be inclined to think it was a typeo or that they assumed most people would get that they meant both sexes from the first portion of the ad.

I also think there could be the possibilty of a language barrier. I would hardly call it a case of sexual discrimination though.

Just my opinion....
MarinaVanessa 09:18 AM 04-30-2012
I assume that because the beginning of the ad says S/he then they automatically assume that everyone will get that they mean both sexes and just didn't want to keep writing it up again. I personally see this as acceptable since they did clarify in the beginning that they meant He or She.

And yes a cook can be full-time. The cook usually has to be in extra early on the morning to prepare breakfast then snack then lunch and then afternoon snack. In school and in centers hot meals are not usually prepared in advance and so the cook is usually there from before breakfast to at least until lunch is over. Usually the cook also has the responsibility to prepare meal plans, take inventory, order food and supplies and to keep the kitchen area clean and sanitary, this in itself also takes time.
Reply Up