Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Making The Jump to Infant Care...Good or Bad Idea?
AfterSchoolMom 12:54 PM 06-07-2010
Right now I have a group of school agers, and don't provide any kind of care for younger children other than the occasional drop in. After the end of this school year, I'll have three aging out and one leaving for other reasons. I have two after schoolers secured already for the fall. HOWEVER, I was just contacted by a couple who are teachers in my area and who are looking for all day care 3 days per week for their child who will be 4 months old at that time.

I'm thinking that a teacher's child may be a good addition, as they'd follow the same schedule that I use with my older kids. I'd also be able to keep my afternoon group MUCH smaller, which would be better for everyone in the long run.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for here, other than insight as to whether or not you all think that this would be a good idea, if you have ideas as to factors to consider, etc. Is this a good idea or am I getting in over my head? I'd appreciate any thoughts!
tymaboy 02:53 PM 06-07-2010
Right now I have a DCB who turned 2 in Feb & he started when he was 7 months. When he started I had 2 girls that were 2 & 3 but they were only here for about 2 months after DCB started. After the girls left he has been the oldest DCK in my care. Having 4 kids under 2 kept me on my toes but I like it better then having the older kids
grandmom 03:13 PM 06-07-2010
The earlier they start, the more the parents are committed long term. The earlier, the more the child loves you.

I wish I could limit new children to infants only. Sometimes I take older children as the infant slots are full. But if I could, I'd take new children only if they were infants.
Greenshadow 03:39 PM 06-07-2010
I only watch children under 3. I have five. They are alot of constant work but thats what I like. They are naturally curious and active so require alot of hands-on activities. I dont mix ages much as I find it easier to have one age group or the other.
Tags:infant care
Reply Up