Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Tier 1 Questions
midaycare 05:35 PM 10-02-2016
I have been searching online for a bit, but I can't seem to find the answers to my questions:

1) What does a school have to be at percentage-wise in free and reduced food in order for a daycare provider to reach Tier 1?

2) When there are several elementary schools, do they base it on all of them, or the one your home is assigned to?

3) If you give forms for your parents to fill out individually to qualify for Tier 1, what is the cutoff for a family to qualify for the Tier 1 reimbursement?

Thanks
daycare 05:42 PM 10-02-2016
I don't know if this differs by county or state.
Does your FP AGENCY have a website ?

Mine is based off of your home elementary and middle school. It must be at 50% or higher free or reduced lunch to qualify tier 1.

As for the parents I'm sure that differs by county. I live in SF Bay Area so I'm sure mine would be much higher cut off than other areas.
midaycare 05:55 PM 10-02-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't know if this differs by county or state.
Does your FP AGENCY have a website ?

Mine is based off of your home elementary and middle school. It must be at 50% or higher free or reduced lunch to qualify tier 1.

As for the parents I'm sure that differs by county. I live in SF Bay Area so I'm sure mine would be much higher cut off than other areas.
I'm normally a good searcher, but I am really having problems finding this info. Our local FP are kind of stinky though, so no info there. I've been looking nationally and in Michigan, maybe I'm just missing it.

I'm feeling kind of dorky but I need to know this, because the elementary school my house is assigned to is right around 50 - 48 or 49 the last time I signed up 2 years ago. I might be Tier 1 now, if that's the case. But I also live in a higher income area, so the last time the FP person didn't even check. She just said, "Oh you're in ____? Tier 2."

I think if it's by elementary school assigned to me, I may be Tier 1 now.
morgan24 04:57 AM 10-03-2016
I'm also in MI. I think it's 50% or more. I'm tier 1 because of my areas census. I look at my food program site and they don't have anything either. On your enroll form you should have a school district number and that would be the one your based off from. Maybe if you called the school they would tell you.
lovemykidstoo 05:21 AM 10-03-2016
I'm in Michigan also and I believe it's 50% of the "district", not just 1 school in the district.
midaycare 06:11 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm in Michigan also and I believe it's 50% of the "district", not just 1 school in the district.
If there was an emoji for bummer, I would use it here.
lovemykidstoo 06:15 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
If there was an emoji for bummer, I would use it here.
Don't be bummed. I would absolutely check on that. You never know when a rep will give you bad information. I just knew when my check changed. It was for alot more and I ws like what the heck is happening. Figured it was an error. So I called and they told me my district changed, so I got more money. That is what she told me. Who knows if it was really my entire district or just the school that was close to me, although I moved to the other side of the district and my check is still the same. I would call to verify.
lovemykidstoo 06:38 AM 10-03-2016
I found this on my food program site.

"If a provider is already Tier I by their school district and would like to claim their own child, a Michigan CACFP Provider Income Eligibility Application is required. School district eligibility is verified every five years. Complete either Part 1, if receiving Food Stamps or FIP benefits or Part 2, if NOT receiving Food Stamps or FIP benefits. Documentation is not required if the provider is already Tier I by the local school district. "
midaycare 06:59 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I found this on my food program site.

"If a provider is already Tier I by their school district and would like to claim their own child, a Michigan CACFP Provider Income Eligibility Application is required. School district eligibility is verified every five years. Complete either Part 1, if receiving Food Stamps or FIP benefits or Part 2, if NOT receiving Food Stamps or FIP benefits. Documentation is not required if the provider is already Tier I by the local school district. "
Thanks! I have 3-4 dcfs who may fit Tier 1, depending on what the income cutoffs are. Instead of $150 per month, it's suddenly more like $340. That got my attention.
284878 07:01 AM 10-03-2016
I was told by district too. I originally talked to midmichigan and 4c when I signed up and they both said district.

I did hear that if your dck school was different, they would check that also. Midmichigan checked both schools districts for me, when we were talking, and neither school district qualifies so it defaults me to income based.

I just got denied for tier 1, based on my income. I wonder if I am allowed to appeal that. Does anyone know?
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I was told by district too. I originally talked to midmichigan and 4c when I signed up and they both said district.

I did hear that if your dck school was different, they would check that also. Midmichigan checked both schools districts for me, when we were talking, and neither school district qualifies so it defaults me to income based.

I just got denied for tier 1, based on my income. I wonder if I am allowed to appeal that. Does anyone know?
From my understanding that is how it works for most. It's based on school district you are assigned to and if the school does not qualify, it reverts back to your income but if that still does not help, you can have each child (their family) fill out individual forms and those children who's families meet the income guidelines can receive Tier 1.
You would essentially be a Mixed Tier home then.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 10-03-2016
I found this for Michigan... don't know if it's helpful but it explains alot about how they figure eligibility

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...s_477314_7.pdf
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 10-03-2016
http://frac.org/CommunityEligibilityDatabase/

http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7...144---,00.html

Interesting info too!

Not sure how much of it applies but the statistical stuff tells how many school districts and which ones qualify for the free/reduced lunches etc...
morgan24 07:30 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://frac.org/CommunityEligibilityDatabase/

http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7...144---,00.html

Interesting info too!

Not sure how much of it applies but the statistical stuff tells how many school districts and which ones qualify for the free/reduced lunches etc...
I don't know how you find all the information that you do but I have to say thank you! That was really interesting.
midaycare 09:51 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I don't know how you find all the information that you do but I have to say thank you! That was really interesting.

midaycare 09:52 AM 10-03-2016
Thank you everyone Food rep will be here any minute, so it's nice to have some of my ducks in a row at least.
284878 05:56 PM 10-24-2016

I just got my surprise visit from FP, she came suggested that reapply to for Tier 1. She said that I can reapply for tier 1 every month.
Blackcat31 06:35 PM 10-24-2016
I just got my surprise visit from FP, she came suggested that reapply to for Tier 1. She said that I can reapply for tier 1 every month.
Check here

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84353
Reply Up