Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Glass Bottles
Michelle 09:00 AM 04-24-2014
I have a new baby whose parents provide glass bottles.
Are they really necessary?
Do you allow them?
These bottles make me a nervous wreck, I thought they only did glass bottles in the 50's . She send some plastic ones too and I seriously want to just wash the plastic ones and reuse them and not deal with glass.
I have a whole bunch of curious and grabby 2-3 year olds.
jenboo 09:16 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Do you allow them?
These bottles make me a nervous wreck, I thought they only did glass bottles in the 50's . She send some plastic ones too and I seriously want to just wash the plastic ones and reuse them and not deal with glass.
Are they the ones with the silicone type slip cover thing? If so, I wouldn't be too worried. I used them before and they bounce haha.
I think there are some people who try and stay away from plastic items used for food/drinks.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:26 AM 04-24-2014
Glass bottles are very strong and I wouldn't worry a bit about breakage unless they're getting dropped on a tile floor, maybe.

I used only glass and wouldn't want plastic used for my child. I'd discuss with the parent, at least.
cheerfuldom 09:28 AM 04-24-2014
A LOT of parents use glass bottles. I am surprised you haven't come across it yet. It is generally the same parent that is cloth diapering and making their own baby food.
MarinaVanessa 09:29 AM 04-24-2014
I prefer glass to plastic. I won't warm plastic in the microwave at all so if a client provides plastic bottles I have to use a glass dish or cup to warm the water. For me it's a health thing with the chemicals in the plastic so they don't seep into the food/drink. Of course a lot of the stuff they have out there now is BPA free and phthalates (spelling?) free but I guess I'm just already in the habit of not using plastic in the microwave that I just avoid plastic. I use glass Dr Browns bottles and I've only ever broken 1 (well actually it was my husband). No harm, no foul. I just scooped everyone up and migrated them into the living room and the babies into the highchairs and swept up really good then followed it up with a quick vacuuming of the tile on the bare floor setting.

If using glass bottles makes you nervous can you ask for a few plastic bottles (BPA free) instead that they keep at your house and offer to store and wash them at home. This way you can use plastic at daycare and they can use glass at home.
Unregistered 10:32 AM 04-24-2014
I only use glass bottles here. The plastic leaches awful chemicals into the milk when you put warm liquid in them. Unless you smash them hard onto a hard surface you should be ok. I have dropped or knocked numerous ones onto a wooden floor and none have broke.
Annalee 10:48 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
A LOT of parents use glass bottles. I am surprised you haven't come across it yet. It is generally the same parent that is cloth diapering and making their own baby food.
I didn't even know they still made glass bottles. If walmart don't have it, I guess I thought it didn't exist and they don't have them here...
MarinaVanessa 10:55 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I didn't even know they still made glass bottles. If walmart don't have it, I guess I thought it didn't exist and they don't have them here...
Really?!?! Your Wal-Mart doesn't carry them??? That's where I get mine from. Interesting
Annalee 10:58 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Really?!?! Your Wal-Mart doesn't carry them??? That's where I get mine from. Interesting
I have never seen them. The AVENT bottle are the ones everyone likes to use around here!
Annalee 11:04 AM 04-24-2014
I have never seen them. The AVENT bottle are the ones everyone likes to use around here!
I will look next time I am in walmart...I am now curious!
Unregistered 11:11 AM 04-24-2014
You can request the parents buy a protective silicone sleeve that fits over the bottle that way it will offer a bit more protection if you are worried about it falling and breaking.
Michelle 12:44 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You can request the parents buy a protective silicone sleeve that fits over the bottle that way it will offer a bit more protection if you are worried about it falling and breaking.
ok, I can buy those
where do they sell them?
thanks everyone, I had no idea they were so durable
I just pictured a grabby kid dropping them on my wood or tile floor
I am concerned about plastic too, I never warm up anything in the microwave with plastic and these glass bottles with breast milk in them, I just warm up in a big cup with warm water running on them. I di that with formula too.

thanks everyone
just a quick question
how do you guys warm up breast milk when you are at the park etc. ?
I am used to formula and I just measure out the powder in empty bottles and add water as I need them.. but breast milk comes in those frozen little baggies!
Michelle 12:46 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
ok, I can buy those
where do they sell them?
thanks everyone, I had no idea they were so durable
I just pictured a grabby kid dropping them on my wood or tile floor
I am concerned about plastic too, I never warm up anything in the microwave with plastic and these glass bottles with breast milk in them, I just warm up in a big cup with warm water running on them. I do that with formula too.

thanks everyone
just a quick question
I am used to formula and I just measure out the powder in empty bottles and add water as I need them.. but breast milk comes in those frozen little baggies!
SilverSabre25 12:46 PM 04-24-2014
just a quick question
prepare it before you go.

breastmilk keeps just fine out of the fridge/freezer for long periods of time, or if you're worried/licensing says no, prepare the bottle and stick it in a lunchbag or something. If it's really hot out, baby might appreciate the cool drink!
gracepatiencelove 12:47 PM 04-24-2014
super informative thread!

I would be a little scared, too, honestly.

do these parents use glass sippies or glass cups?
Solandia 01:51 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:

Stainless steel! Kleen Kanteen is popular. Very nice,
There are nipples for the kleen kanteen, but i have never seen anyone using them as a bottle irl. Just as a sports bottle or sippy.
Unregistered 02:53 PM 04-24-2014
[quote=Michelle;454162]ok, I can buy those
where do they sell them?
QUOTE]

I am sure the big baby stores sell them I got mine at amazon under glass bottle sleeve
Michelle 06:09 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
prepare it before you go.

breastmilk keeps just fine out of the fridge/freezer for long periods of time, or if you're worried/licensing says no, prepare the bottle and stick it in a lunchbag or something. If it's really hot out, baby might appreciate the cool drink!
this mom just told me that if he starts a bottle he has to finish it or just throw out the rest..
I thought that breast milk can sit for a long time at room temp.

I really need to do a refresher course on this.
I think I will look up a bf website like lalaeach league
I will always do what the parents wants but it just seems so wasteful , I know how much of a hassle it is to pump
Michelle 06:19 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:

no but when they brought the older kid at 18 months he had an 8 oz. glass bottle and I immediately ended that situation.
Toddlers throw bottles!
so he just had plastic sippy cups from day one with me.
cheerfuldom 10:23 PM 04-24-2014
every place including Walmart has them here.
cheerfuldom 10:25 PM 04-24-2014
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/
Michelle 07:00 AM 04-25-2014
thank you so much!
KidGrind 08:28 AM 04-25-2014
Do you allow them?
Glass bottles are against our regulations for feeding due to several incidents. I accept glass bottles for storage but use plastic for feeding.
Cradle2crayons 08:34 AM 04-25-2014
I don't worry about glass or plastic. I provide all bottles and cups. Breast milk storage has to be in bags.
Leigh 09:56 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I don't worry about glass or plastic. I provide all bottles and cups. Breast milk storage has to be in bags.
Me, too. I use only Dr. Brown's bottles, and suggest to parents that they use the same for consistency. It's such a PITA to have 4 different kinds of bottles to deal with!
kitykids3 11:01 AM 04-25-2014
I take any kind of bottles the parents bring. Glass or plastic doesn't matter to me. If an accident happens, it happens. The only time bottles are out is if it's feeding time and my kids do not have access except the one drinking it. I have parents bring in the bottles already made up (whether formula or bm) and labeled and they sit in fridge until used. Then I put them in the bottle warmer so no use of microwave at all. Then they get rinsed and put away. The glass bottles look like they are pretty thick and that it would take a bit of force to break it.
Reply Up