Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Call Me Crazy, Everyone Else Does
daycare 02:40 PM 11-03-2011
So I have been trying to figure out a hands on project for my theme of construction week.

We already have a field trip to Yeager to see them huge bull dozers and other heavy construction equipment.

However, I am having a hard time deciding what to do for some projects.

We will get to smash paint with a hammer and some other cool building things, but I would like to introduce hammer and nails into a board.

I thought maybe I can take a piece of 4x4 wood and have nails already started into the wood so that the kids can finish putting them in.

My group that would do this project are all 3.5-5 yrs old.

What do you guys think about the hammer and nails idea? Too unsafe? Any other idea you can give?
mismatchedsocks 02:54 PM 11-03-2011
Crazy!!

j/k you told me to call you it!

The kids are older, and if they are started in and supervised I dont see what is wrong with it.
sharlan 02:56 PM 11-03-2011
I don't see an issue with it.

If you have concerns, you can use golf tees w/styrofoam.
SilverSabre25 02:57 PM 11-03-2011
You could hammer golf tees into a pumpkin if you're looking for something as a lead-in to actual nails in a board. You could even hammer big nails into a pumpkin if you really want real nails.

You could also do nails into styrofoam. Or golf tees into styrofoam.
daycare 02:58 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
You could hammer golf tees into a pumpkin if you're looking for something as a lead-in to actual nails in a board. You could even hammer big nails into a pumpkin if you really want real nails.

You could also do nails into styrofoam. Or golf tees into styrofoam.
ahhhh thanks sharlan and silver..

I think that parents might be more open to this... I have a million different things going on right now I can barley see straight and I usually already have my entire curriculum planned by now. YOu know how life happens....
Danielle 02:59 PM 11-03-2011
It sounds like this is something on the lines of what you were thinking of: http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com...ity-board.html
DaycareMama 02:59 PM 11-03-2011
I don't see a problem with it either. When my son was that age we built a simple bird house and painted it. He was just 4 if i remember right.
daycare 03:01 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
It sounds like this is something on the lines of what you were thinking of: http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com...ity-board.html
OMG I Love love love love this!!

I know what I will be doing this weekend...

Who needs google when you have daycare.com.......YEs thats awesome..

I'll have to take pictures of it when I finish....
Country Kids 03:01 PM 11-03-2011
If you go to a craft store sometimes they have projects that kids can build or even toys are us. Even try Lowes/Home Depot=They have Saturdays where kids can build projects but maybe they have something you could purchase for this.
daycare 03:04 PM 11-03-2011
our home depot stinks... they recently stopped doing the saturday projects...My son was bummed, because he has the orange apron with all of the work pins he earned...

He really wanted to build a bird house, but never got to....
Tags:theme - construction, themes
Reply Up