Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can NOT Get Licensed/Zoned! Options?
EchoMom 12:29 PM 10-17-2012
I have spent the day on the phone and researching how to go from Type B home daycare (limit 6 children) to a Type A home daycare (limit 12 children, 2 adults) in Columbus, OH.

There is only ONE licensed provider in my county and only ONE licensed in the neighboring county. My area is zoned residential and zoning department considers a Type A home daycare a commercial business and so I cannot become Type A in my home. I would have to have an office building in a commercial zone.

BUT if you had an office in a commercial area you could still not be a type A home daycare because licensing says you have to LIVE in the HOME. AND if you lived in say an apartment OVER a business the space would be too small to have the appropriate square footage to be licensed for that many kids!!!

See the problem??? There is no way in Columbus OH to become a licensed daycare!!!! There is no way to have over the 6 child limit, even though my mom and I are the 2 adults working together, I have a very successful Type B for almost a year now and am FULL and turning people away constantly.

What can I do???? My mom and I want to expand and have her join me full time, but we can't.

We share a house. Anyway she can have her own daycare and my own daycare under the same roof? That would be cheating, but we WANT to follow the rules!!! I found out that the fine for having too many kids is between $100-$500/per child over ratio. BUT no one really checks! And if they fined you, they would tell you reduce your kids or GET LICENSED, to which I'd reply I'D LOVE TO!

What can I do??? Am I just SOL?????
Cat Herder 12:39 PM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
I
We share a house. Anyway she can have her own daycare and my own daycare under the same roof? What can I do??? Am I just SOL?????
I have asked the State before and got an emphatic NO.

I was SOL unless I moved to a bigger home.

All it takes is one injury while being over ratio and you could be looking at jail time.
Crystal 12:42 PM 10-17-2012
Can you apply for a conditional use permit? That's what you have to do in some parts of my county to have a large license.
Heidi 12:46 PM 10-17-2012
Who does your zoning? Can you ask them for a variance?

No, no, no...don't ever go over numbers and chance it! You could get in so much trouble..one pissed parent, one injury, insurance would never cover you...oh heck no!
EchoMom 12:56 PM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Who does your zoning? Can you ask them for a variance?

No, no, no...don't ever go over numbers and chance it! You could get in so much trouble..one pissed parent, one injury, insurance would never cover you...oh heck no!
I talked to the county/jurisdiction zoning official today and went round and round, nicely, pointing out the contradiction and it was just an emphatic No No No No NO.

I guess Columbus OH just does NOT want licensed daycares! It's small under 6 kids or an actual business and nothing in between. So that leaves no way for people to do it licensed and be really LEGIT. Although being small is Legal and LEGIT and what I currently am.
DaisyMamma 01:06 PM 10-17-2012
That stinks!what if you move to a larger home? Different neighborhood?
EchoMom 01:42 PM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
That stinks!what if you move to a larger home? Different neighborhood?
It's not the size of my home that's the problem, it's that I'm zoned for a residential area and the zoning officials consider a licensed daycare a business (even though a licensed daycare must be in a home! Doesn't make sense!). And I'd have to not just move neighborhood but completely move city/county!
snbauser 05:59 PM 10-17-2012
Here I had to apply for what they called a "special use permit" in order to expand my program.
SilverSabre25 06:26 PM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
I talked to the county/jurisdiction zoning official today and went round and round, nicely, pointing out the contradiction and it was just an emphatic No No No No NO.

I guess Columbus OH just does NOT want licensed daycares! It's small under 6 kids or an actual business and nothing in between. So that leaves no way for people to do it licensed and be really LEGIT. Although being small is Legal and LEGIT and what I currently am.
Yep, this. It's stupid. But it's true. Go to Deleware Co. I think you can do it there :P

I haven't even bothered to get licensed Type B, or reg. with Action for Children, because it's kind of pointless since I won't get to make more money ever. I wanted to expand and work with my mom, too.
EchoMom 06:36 PM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep, this. It's stupid. But it's true. Go to Deleware Co. I think you can do it there :P

I haven't even bothered to get licensed Type B, or reg. with Action for Children, because it's kind of pointless since I won't get to make more money ever. I wanted to expand and work with my mom, too.
Yes, no point in registering. Just invites hassle and people into my business just to get on the food program. No thanks.

Is there ANYTHING we can do Silver?! Isn't there anyone to appeal to? It seems insane.
EchoMom 06:36 PM 10-17-2012
Oh and action for children says there is only ONE Type A in Franklin and ONE Type A in Deleware, so doesn't sound like it's easier there either!
DaisyMamma 03:18 AM 10-18-2012
Sounds like your city simply does not allow it, without using those words.

What if you moved into a duplex with your mom and each side of the duplex got licensed for 6? Of course that would double your bills, so it doesn't make much sense.
Tags:licensing, ohio, ohio standards
Reply Up