Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Go Out or Not?
TXhomedaycare 09:00 AM 11-09-2015
I live in Texas and this is the first day it is cold (50 degrees). I usually put a jacket on my kids (my 4 year is cold natured and my 1 yo I feel needs a jacket). None of my other kids came with a jacket today so I assume their parents let them go out in this weather with no jacket. Do I assume that and go out or not? My parent handbook says they need to be dressed for the weather and I sent a reminder last week. I am protective of my kids and grew up where I would get in trouble for not having on socks or wearing my coat/jacket but I don't want to assume every parent is like me. If I need a jacket my kids need a jacket. They do have on long sleeves but no jackets. What's is your policy for cold weather? I was thinking about adjusting my schedule so they go out when it is warmer (not convenient but doable) and it is not going to get much warmer. Thanks
TXhomedaycare 09:24 AM 11-09-2015
OK we went out and 50 is not that cold so no big deal today but in the future when it is 30's or 40's do I stay in if someone does not have a jacket or assume their parent feels they don't need one?
Play Care 09:25 AM 11-09-2015
I'm in upstate NY so that didn't seem cold at all for me
Play Care 09:27 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
OK we went out and 50 is not that cold so no big deal today but in the future when it is 30's or 40's do I stay in if someone does not have a jacket or assume their parent feels they don't need one?
You can always put a sign in your door - maybe something like "Temps are in the 30's tomorrow - please remember to send in a jacket with your child!"

I know people from warmer places have a hard time believing anyone goes outside when the temps get "low" for them so the parents may think you're not going out.
Josiegirl 09:50 AM 11-09-2015
I have 3 heavy sweaters and or sweatshirts on hand in case some one isn't dressed warm enough. And lots of times they're not because parents know it will warm up later. But we're out by 9 a.m. and it hasn't warmed up much by then. If I didn't have those available, I'd see if I could dig up an extra shirt for them or something. I hate it when we have to stay in because someone isn't dressed properly. And it's happened often in the winter when someone forgets snow pants. There was one that forgot theirs a lot last year, I was always calling them to drop some off. They're not here this year so hopefully I won't have that issue.
kendallina 10:19 AM 11-09-2015
I'm in Southern Ohio so we're used to colder weather, but every year around this time I still have to send out an email reminder to bring mittens, hats, winter coats. We go outside in the morning and this morning it was 45 degrees, so a sweater won't cut it. I say send out an email reminder (or however you best communicate with families) and tell them that you go outside EVERYDAY and their children must be dressed for the weather EVERYDAY.

ETA: I also keep a couple of extra hats and mittens on hand for those really cold days if someone forgets. But, if they completely don't bring a winter coat and it's really really cold out, then they need to go home and get it because I don't have extra of those.
Cat Herder 11:05 AM 11-09-2015
If you want to provide winter gear, do it.

If you don't, send them away at the door.
Thriftylady 12:01 PM 11-09-2015
50 is right on the line I think I would take them out. But here that isn't really "cold". I can see in some warmer climates where that would be seen as freezing though. As far as providing winter gear, I will not I don't have room to store all that in all those sizes. If they came without it I would send the child home with the parents to get it.
Laurel 12:33 PM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
50 is right on the line I think I would take them out. But here that isn't really "cold". I can see in some warmer climates where that would be seen as freezing though. As far as providing winter gear, I will not I don't have room to store all that in all those sizes. If they came without it I would send the child home with the parents to get it.
I used to have a few spare sweatshirts, I think 3 as I had only 6 kids at most and most remembered their jackets so it was an occasional thing. If I would have had a 'chronic' forgetter I would have to warn parents that they couldn't leave them off tomorrow without a jacket.

Some of the extra clothes I got when people left them when leaving care. Their children had outgrown them. I didn't have anything that wouldn't fit in one drawer. Also, I am in Florida so didn't need to keep bulky winter coats. Just some jackets/sweaters and flip flops for water play. I also kept a few onesies but all of that fit in one drawer. I got about a size 3 so it would be big on some, just right for others and the sleeves a bit short for anyone older. I didn't care if the sleeves were a little short though. We went out!
Baby Beluga 12:46 PM 11-09-2015
We go out at 50...in fact we go out year round but it doesn't too cold here. Maybe one week of freezing temps and that is it.

I have two children who leave jackets here and the rest bring one each morning. I haven't had too much trouble with parents forgetting, but I do keep a couple of extra sweatshirts and pair of pants just in case.
sharlan 03:44 PM 11-09-2015
50.......you've got to be kidding me. All of my kids would be triple layered with heavy parkas and snow boots, not kidding.

I have one that came today with 2 long sleeved shirts, a heavy puffy jacket and fur lined boots. It's 66*. I have another that was told not to remove her heavy jacket the other day because it was 77*.

My parents think we live in the Arctic.
Unregistered 04:17 AM 11-10-2015
I send a reminder as soon as the temperature starts to drop and I suggest they leave an extra jacket or sweatshirt here just in case. All of my kiddos have one here
Kelly 11:24 AM 11-10-2015
50 isn't really that cold. It's not like they're going to get frostbite or anything. They'll be running around playing anyway and would probably get hot if bundled up too much. It was 42 this morning when I went for my walk and I got hot with my jacket on.
Controlled Chaos 11:58 AM 11-10-2015
It was 35* here and raining. We went on a quick walk around the block just to get some fresh air. All but one had a good winter coat, hat and gloves (I do keep a bag of cheap walmart hats and gloves as its easier than me policing parents on it). The one kid who was brought in only a sweater I put an extra coat on him that was bright pink and sent a pic to dad who's in charge of drop offs letting him know as good as Jr. looked in pink he would be turned away with out a coat in the future.
LindseyA 12:34 PM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
It was 35* here and raining. We went on a quick walk around the block just to get some fresh air. All but one had a good winter coat, hat and gloves (I do keep a bag of cheap walmart hats and gloves as its easier than me policing parents on it). The one kid who was brought in only a sweater I put an extra coat on him that was bright pink and sent a pic to dad who's in charge of drop offs letting him know as good as Jr. looked in pink he would be turned away with out a coat in the future.
I 2 daughters and I have kept all their winter gear for daycare to use if necessary. I have put boys in pink or purple snow pants in the past, but I did NOT think to send a pic to the parents!! Brilliant lol. Anyways, they dont seem to care what the color is, as long as they can go out and build snow forts

But yes, I have a spare of everything...
Tags:cold weather, outside play winter
Reply Up